Complaint Review: Discount Books

• Updated: Fri, October 29, 2010

• Reported By: judith — lake villa Illinois United States of America
Discount Books
p o box 810365 boca raton, Florida United States of America

Discount Books Best Brand Values Without my permission they billed me $9.95 a month for over 12 months, it appeared as a small charge on my credit card. boca raton, Florida

*Consumer Comment: This one's on you ....

I purchased a  couple books  last year (2009) from Discount Books out of Boca Raton via a web site.  I put the purchase on my discover card.  I just noticed that I have been billed monthly for some sort of membership service that I never signed up for.  I called the company and complained about the $9.95 charge and they reluctantly gave me 3 months credit and cancelled my membership.

First of all I never joined any "group" or became a member!! Total fraud.  I asked where their physical location was and they only gave me a P. O. Box.  I want the entire amount refunded as a credit to my Discover.  I am furious.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/28/2010 04:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Books/boca-raton-Florida-33481/Discount-Books-Best-Brand-Values-Without-my-permission-they-billed-me-995-a-month-for-ov-656343. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Books

This one's on you ....

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (United States of America)

I'm glad you found the charge and you were able to cancel further debits to your card. You have a right to be furious, but you brought this on yourself by not checking your cc statements. What I don't understand is how you can not look at your account statements for a year and then expect the vendor to refund the charges.

I agree that you have to be careful when purchasing online so you don't sign up for one of those memberships without knowing it. It seems to be a popular online scam with various vendors. All the more reason to check your accounts monthly.

But really - did you not look at your Discover statements for the past year? It's your responsibility to check your accounts at least once a month. No one is going to do it for you. It takes just a moment to scan the charges each month prior to your paying the account. If you say "I use auto pay"; that does not absolve you from checking your statements. It is in your on best interest to check each account each and every month to catch billing errors or scams like this one.