Complaint Review: Discount Magazines

• Submitted: Wed, January 05, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, July 12, 2011

• Reported By: JRenVirginia — Charlottesville Virginia United States of America
Discount Magazines
1155 Kelley Johnson Blvd Ste 111 Colorado Springs, Colorado United States of America

Discount Magazines Dollar Savings Club BEWARE, THIS COMPANY UTILIZES TELEMARKETING CONFUSION TO RIP YOU OFF!!! Colorado Springs, Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Not interested?

In September of 2010, I received a call from Discount Magazines in which they employed several techniques to try to confuse me into accepting their pitch, such as multiple telemarketers on at same time simultaneously talking, and speaking softly and extremely quickly. I, unfortunately, listened to their entire pitch, trying to be polite. At the end I stated several times that I was not interested in their services and not to send me anything.

I realized a few months later that my credit card was being billed nearly $100 a month, from a variety of companies that all turned out to be Discount Magazines. I immediately reported these charges as fraudulent to my credit card company and closed my account. I then received a call from a man trying to intimidate me, threatening court and implying that I agreed to their service. I told him to listen back to the recording because I clearly declined their services several times. I then threatened to call the better business bureau on their company and hung up.

Not even two minutes later, I received another call from a different man apologizing for the inconvenience. He stated that he had listened to the recording and realized it was a mere "misunderstanding" and that he would send me a letter canceling any services. The funniest part is that I had been charged around $300 from a variety of companies, but the only thing I received in return was one single magazine (which I immediately sent back to the publishing company). Beware, even if you say 'NO' to these people, they still might bill you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2011 02:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Magazines/Colorado-Springs-Colorado-80920/Discount-Magazines-Dollar-Savings-Club-BEWARE-THIS-COMPANY-UTILIZES-TELEMARKETING-CONFUSI-679113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Magazines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Not interested?

AUTHOR: CO_Daisy - (United States of America)

If you weren't interested in obtaining magazines, how exactly did they get your credit card number? If I'm not interested in buying something, the last thing I would do is give some random stranger my credit card number. Something smells funny in your story.