isolated

• Updated: Tue, August 21, 2012

• Reported By: Honest Dealer — orlando Florida United States of America
Discount Tire
8107 South John Young Parkway Orlando, Florida United States of America

Discount Tire False Advertising, Changed Price When I Arrived to Buy Orlando, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Denied sale

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Like I said.

*Author of original report: Bad business

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Settlement not true

I did the research online and was ready to buy four tires for a customer's car, I am a car dealer, as a favor to a valued customer. I arrived at the Discount Tire store in Orlando on John Young Pkwy and was told by the manager, Chris, that I could not buy the tires for the $51 advertised price. Because I did not need them installed I would have to pay an additional $10 per tire, an additional 20% markup because I didn't have Discount tire install them. This is false advertising and bad business practice. I called the regional office and Greg told me the same thing, policy is that they don't sell "wholesale". I don't consider paying the advertised price as "wholesale". I have purchased tires from Discount Tire in the past and they never charged me an extra $10 per tire when I did carry out, so this must be a new policy. This new policy is, however, illegal. You cannot advertise a price and refuse to sell the item at that price when someone wants to buy it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2012 11:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Tire/Orlando-Florida-32819/Discount-Tire-False-Advertising-Changed-Price-When-I-Arrived-to-Buy-Orlando-Florida-892732. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Tire

Denied sale

AUTHOR: Evan - (United States of America)

I am not a business, but a consumer and I was just denied the sale of four tire from the discount tire in Clermont for the same reason.   I was told that they couldnt do a "cash and carry" on the tires I wanted even though I had a print out from there website and the employee showed me the computer with the price.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Like I said.

AUTHOR: Chris - (United States of America)

I take care of my retail customers 100%. I did not change prices. As I said we sell to our own customers. We are not warehouses for our competition. That is why we've been in business 52 years. We take care of our customers. I am just responding to the fact that you said I am falsely advertising prices without stating the facts. You are not our customer. You are trying to buy products at our lower then wholesale prices. Plain and simple. We install our product we do not let them walk out the door to our competition.

Bad business

AUTHOR: Honest Dealer - (United States of America)

My customer's satisfaction is the reason for our success. I take care of my customers automotive needs whenever they ask, so they don't get ripped off. I take offense to your implication that I would treat my customers as anything less than the friends they are. Your unfounded and untrue personal attack on me is just another example of your bad business practices. You admitted that you wouldn't sell the tires at the advertised price, so just leave it at that.

#4 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Settlement not true

AUTHOR: Chris - (United States of America)

This customer wanted to purchase our tires and sell them at a higher price to his customer. We are not a wholesaler and sometimes we sell our tires less then we pay for them to compete with lower quality Chinese made tires on the market. The only way to break even is to charge the installation. When a competitor sees that they can buy the tire less from us they try to do so. Like I said we are not a wholesaler so we charge a carry out fee on these tires. This customer is just mad he could not rip his customer off this time.