Complaint Review: Discover Card

• Reported By: Clamity Jane — Newark California
Discover Card
5420 West 1730 South Salt Lake City , Utah USA

*General Comment: First...

*Author of original report: Not very bright eh.....

*General Comment: Not very bright eh....

*Author of original report: Consumer Comment Comment

*Author of original report: I hate to say this but...

*Consumer Comment: I hate to say this but...

*Consumer Comment: comment

I think it quite despicable what Discover Card did to me Saturday May 10, 2013. I went to use my credit card at the gas station & I couldn't get it to work. So,I went inside the clerk stated in was declined. So I call Discover Card & they connect me to the fraud department. They took it off fraud alert & told me everything was fine. So I go to use the card again at the same gas station it declined again. My car is on empty empty & I only had $2.00 in change that I had to dig for in my purse.

Thinking that I had not given enough time for them to transmit the OK I went to another gas station, it also declined. My phone was dieing & I had to keep the car running so I could keep the battery charged while I called again. [continued below]....

..... Daniel the only available manager & supervisor along with Stephanie stated my payment was 7 days late! Once it was paid it would be taken off hold. Wouldn't listen to anything I was saying. If this card was on hold for a payment that was 7 days late then why did the fraud department at Discover take the fraud alert off & tell me that I could use my card? Stephanie & Daniel never appologized for anything.

I came home & used my home phone because my cell phone was dead. Plus I couldn't use my Bonus Points to make a payment per Daniel THE only MANAGER supervisor. Then when I go on line into my account with the help of Sabrina from Discover I found two (2) $1.00 transactions for each attempt to use my card after the Fraud Deprament stated that I could! These stay on the account for 72 hours. Now how is this possible when the card was no good and I had to pay it off in full in order to use it according to Ms. Stephani in Ohio and Daniel the ONLY MANAGER on the planet Discover that day? This makes no sense what so ever really! If your going to lie at least make it believeable really "Idiots" all of them.

Please look at the attached documents. This involves the Better Business Bureau using form letters to side with Discover Card even with the documentation from Valero's Corporate Office and shows the lies in the letters from Corporate Mark A Lpenski from Discover Card. Along with the Better Business Bureau stating that Discover made a good faith effort. What a joke you can see the out right lies on the documents from Discover and Valero and the Better  Business Bureau calls that good faith no wonder the world has gone mad! They all make me sick! Lier's and "Idiots"!

No wonder Corporate America can't tell the truth they have been telling lies so long they don't know what the truth is as far as the BBB goes well as I like to call them "The Bigot Bribed Blockaid"  This card was canceled by me three hours before Mark A Lpenski stated it had been used and declined at a different merchants place. That is impossible I closed my card out the document from Valero shows everything. I have circled on the letter from Discover Card.

Stephanie tells me I'm seven days late and have to pay the full amount off, Daniel states he is the only supervisor on duty and the fraud department tells me they took my card of fraud alert yet every time I went to use my card it was declined and the letter from Valero tells you why. As far as that "PHANTOM MERCHANT" well I'm still waiting for them to imerge on a card that was canceled three hours earlier by me!  I had had that card since 1993 "Idiots" all of them.

BBB Processing 05/17/2013 web BBB Case Received by BBB 05/17/2013 Otto BBB Accredited Business Case Reviewed by BBB05/17/2013 lgg EMAIL Send Acknowledgement to Consumer 05/17/2013 Otto EMAIL Inform MIP AB of Case 05/28/2013 OttO BBB No Response to First Notice to AB 05/28/2013 OttO EMAIL Second Notice to MIP AB 05/29/2013 WEB BBB RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : see attached response 05/30/2013 OttO EMAIL Forward Business Response to Consumer 05/31/2013 WEB BBB RECEIVED CONSUMER REBUTTAL : (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.

Please see attached letter 05/31/2013 lgg EMAIL Forward Consumer Rebuttal to Business 06/07/2013 WEB BBB RECEIVED BUSINESS' RESPONSE TO REBUTTAL : see attached response 06/07/2013 lgg EMAIL Send Business' Response to Rebuttal 06/13/2013 WEB BBB CONSUMER REJECTS BUSINESS' RESPONSE TO REBUTTAL : (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.) Please read the attached documents the letter from Discover and the letter from Valero.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2013 01:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Card/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-84104/Discover-Card-LIE-CHEAT-STEAL-FRAUD-FORM-LETTERS-RUDE-ARROGANT-PHONEYS-DISGUSTING-Salt-L-1080855. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Card

#1 General Comment

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

I have read your material. Its common knowledge that the BBB IS NOT a regulatory agency. ANYONE can pay to get an "A" rank. As for Discover....first its not YOUR money, its thiers. Why do you think they charge you such a MASSIVE interest rate. Thats how credit works. Second, this whole situation was brought on by your non payment. You sit there and say "Oh it was ONLY 7 days late" but to them late is late. Be it one second or seven days. How can you be surprised that they would want to get paid? You must have missed previous payments for them to put a lock on your card. Its the only way it happends. Either a good amount of missed payments or late payments. See you use thier card and they in good faith pay the bill, they expect the same level of good faith from the customer. They expect you to pay in the same timely manner that they paid the bill you were using thier card on.

I am simply pointing out that this situation could have been avoided and that you are accepting none of the responsability in this situation. You are blasting Discover over a issue that they had no part in causing. Who cares that the BBB is a sham. ppl have known that for decades. Discover didnt do anything wrong, you did. And you not only compound that issue by posting about them, but make them out to be the bad guy when they are not. You are attempting to hold this company to a higher standard then you hold yourself. They cant read your mind so thay had no idea what your payment plans were. They can only go on YOUR PAYMENT HISTORY. So they did act in good faith. They arent the bad guys, YOU ARE!!!

Not very bright eh.....

AUTHOR: Clamity Jane - ()

I will try to make this as short as possible go back and read all the documents  beginning with the letter from Mr. Mark A Ipenski at Corporate Discover Card. You can also read my response to his letter along with the BBB which I refer to as "The Bigot,Biased,Blockaid" that only uses form letters and no matter how many complaints I have sent them over the years they always send this "Form" letter that goes "We have found that the business has made a good faith effort to resolve this matter therefore we are closing our file. I canceled my card because I do not want to do business with a company that can't get it together when it comes to communicating and my money this is what is wrong with Corporate America the communication gaps are getting bigger and bigger and growing into something very dark but it always centers around money. I have no problem with Fraud Alert I do though have a problem with someone wasting my time because they are totally clueless! Read all the Rebuttal's to this. Then write your Rebuttal. All the documents are there. If you can't read them then go to pissedconsumer.com and look for "Discover The Disease" amongst "Idiot Titus" "Crook-A-Titus" "The Disease is Spreading" etc. This will open up your eyes to just how screwed up  and corrupt Corporate America is! If you really pay attention and look around you will see just how bad it is getting even the FBI can't nor any other government agency state and federal can keep up with all the fruad! I have uploaded the documents again.

#3 General Comment

Not very bright eh....

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

You do realize that YOU are the only person getting the shaft. Just because you dont know how a system works is no reason to blast them like you did. Your rant comes from a place of ignorance. As in you have no idea how it all works and your just b*tching because you can. As the previous posters have said, you had a fraud alert and a non payment issue. So instead of owning up to the fact that you missed your payment AND you have no idea how PRE-AUTHERIZATION works, you feel its all right to blast them. Let me be the first to tell you that youre not bright.

First you attempted to swipe your CREDIT CARD at the pump, you had a hold on it from NON PAYMENT. Each attempt constitutes a pre-autherization fee. Which is normally $1.00. This is the lowest amount they can do. This is done to prove to the company that you are attempting to make a purchase from that your credit card is VALID and GOOD. That money HAS to be paid to someone as nothing in life is free. That $1.00 normally goes back on your card, if it is good, after 3 days. Now your standard gas pump isnt smart enough to do more then read your card. So each swipe of your card generated a $1 fee. You were declined the first time because you had not paid your bill. When you went to a different gas station and attempted to swipe your card you generated a fraud lock on your account. This is to protect YOUR credit. Its a common tactic for credit card fraudsters to attempt to use a stolen credit card at a place such as a gas station. As I said the pumps are not smart enough to do more then dispence gas and read your card and send the information. They would know almost immediatly by doing this if the card was still valid.

Secondly, Discover is a GIANT corporation. Yes sometimes they are comunication gaps. But the Security and Fraud dept wouldnt have complete access to your account. All they would recieve is a COMPUTER GENERATED FRAUD ALERT. This card at this time was used in this way so a fraud lock was put on it. Thats about all they get to know. You called them like you should and they told you that the FRAUD LOCK was off. They would have no idea that your account had been previosly locked due to non payment. Its just not information that Discover would let them have.

Third....This whole situation could have been avoided had you paid your bill ON TIME!!! Had you paid your bill, you wouldnt have had a fraud lock put on your card. This entire situation was instigated, exaserbated, and escalated due to YOUR ACTIONS. See your railing at the BBB and there was nothing that they could have done. Discover DID in fact act in good faith and YOU were the one who made all the mistakes. This isnt a ripoff OR a scam. Its yet another self entitled consumer who thinks the world revolves around them.

Also I might point out that you caused all these problems and you abused ppl who had no fault in your situation other then they had the bad luck to have to handle your situation. Perhaps your ignorance reaches even into social situations. You OWE them an apology. A very big one. Not only did you make a a*s of yourself with them but you accused them of doctoring your information, when ANYONE with ANY idea how the world works sees this for what it is. You are firmly in the wrong here and need to make amends to these poor workers.

Consumer Comment Comment

AUTHOR: Clamity Jane - ()

On May 11, 2013 and May 30, 2013 I sent a letter to Mark A. Iplenski it is pasted below with my comments to each of his. As far as "The Phantom Merchant" there isn't one because I only went to two gas stations Valero and 76 down the street less then 10 minutes away. My card was canceled by me paid off which was in the thousands the same day CANCELED at 3:45 pm and in Ohio the time was 5:40 pm. EST  Mr. Iplenski is telling me that these two charges showed up at 6:41 pm EST from some other merchant!  Really then how did they show up here on my computer at 3:45 pm when I was talking to Shelly at Discover? Does any of this makes sense to you. These two $1.00 charges that showed up on my account when I was canceling my card were made with another merchant at 6:41 pm EST according to Mr. Iplenski. This is a total outright lie! All the attempts were made in a time frame of ten minutes the other gas station 76 also declined my charge the same day. I have that print out too.

Please look at the Valero Gas Log from Corporate and what they state which is copied and pasted from my answer to his letter along with the letter. Try to use the zoom I don't know if that will help to read the letter or not. If I cancel my credit card because I think the company I'm doing business with is a Fraud and lies to me it DOES NOT hurt my Credit Report! The payment was only late seven days. I will not do business with a company as Crooked as Discover. If you can't read the letter on this site go to(((REDACTED))) and find the complaints from me "Crook-A-Titus Disease", "Idiot Titus Disease", "The Disease is Spreading", "Discover The Disease" etc. "The Discover The Disease" has the same letter that is uploaded here No One can be held hostage by The Credit Bureau's when it comes to who you do business with as a consumer. If they did they wouldn't exist because they would be violating your Civil Rights! I will not do business with a company that lies, is a fraud, steals, cheats, etc. NO ONE HAS A CLUE AT DISCOVER CARD NO ONE! Corporate America wants you to believe LIES that if you do this it's going to hurt you. Nothing short of Terrorism in the Corporate World. That is why I'm glad I live in a FREE COUNTRY because NO ONE can dictate to me how I spend my money or anything else for that matter.  Letter Below: my questions are the ones in color.

Mark A. Iplenski

Executive Office of Customer Advocacy

Dear Mr. Mark A. Iplenski:

Thank you for your letter and for talking to me on the phone. I have put comments below so you can understand where I'm coming from. I have copied and pasted some of your sentences with questions. I have copied from your letter and pasted this paragraph below;

Our records indicate that as part of this review process a hold was placed on your account onMay 8, 2013. Our records indicate that the hold was issued temporarily while our Security Department attempted to verify transaction activity. The transactions were verified on May 11, 2013 and the hold was lifted. Our records do not reflect that your card was declined due to the delinquent status of your account.

I apologize if you were given misinformation regarding the reason your transactions were declined.

Please be assured that the matter will be addressed internally.

In this statement listed above about my card not being declined then how do you explain what happened on May 11, 2013? The gas stations had nothing to gain by declining the card I had nothing to gain. It wouldn't surprise me if Daniel or Stephanie or both tampered with my card in their computers to make it decline and then fix it in the computer so it would show that it had not been declined as you state! Wouldn't surprise me in the least and I will find out what state or federal agency handles issues like this when it comes to stories like this one: If it makes no sense then it is probably a lie and this makes no sense to me what so ever really! You might want to have your computers checked because you have some serious issues here that need to be addressed in a logical manner and that make sense. How many other people have had this happen to them who knows? It seems that the only thing thriving in the world today is GREED and CORRUPTION. We already know how corrupt Pay Pal Smart Connect, Pay Pal and GE Capital Retail Money Bank are and they have helped HANG themselves because they have NO CLUE what so ever all they see are $$$$$$$ and nothing else and that is why they are in lots of trouble now and it serves them right! Crooks the whole lot of them!

I have no problem with the hold because of fraud. I have the problem of being confused now by the statement copied and pasted above. These are the facts: After I called the fraud department and they took the card off fraud alert I went to put gas in my car. When it was declined AFTER I had already gotten off the phone with your fraud department. So I figured it hasn't had time to get into the system yet. So I went to another gas station and it declined again. The first gas station where I tried to use my card had two $1.00 charges for gas. These two $1.00 charges stayed on my account until after a 72 hour hold was taken off which I viewed online in my account. This I don't understand at all. If the card was no good and declined it should have never charged me anything. I also find it strange that both times at the gas pump on the screen it stated declined twice and declined a third time inside yet I have two (2) $1.00 transactions for gas and no gas being pumped! I never got gas and the gas station needs to be investigated by state and federal agencies because what happened at this gas station twice should have never happened especially the hold for 72 hours for a $1.00 each for NOTHING NO GAS NO NOTHING! So here is another field I get to get educated in whether I want to or not!

In this paragraph listed below that I have copied and pasted from your letter you state “your records do not reflect that my card was declined do to the delinquent status of my account”! Then why was it declined four times? So if your records don't show any declined charges then what happened with the three attempts that were made at this same gas station two outside and one inside with the clerk who stated it was still declining and then go to another gas station and have the same thing happen?

After I went to the next gas station down the street and it didn't clear again that is when I talked to Ms.Ohio Stephanie. She informed me that it would stay on hold until full payment was made. When I got home that is when I talked to Daniel the only supervisor and manager on duty who stated the same thing. If this was the case then why the run around? Were they so slow that they had to have a little entertainment at my cost for there boring day at work or maybe they just had to deal with irate customers all day who knows?

I'm the one that called you Discover and spoke to your fraud department who lifted the fraud alert and told me I could use my card on Saturday May 11, 2013. So when I put my card in we should not have had a problem but we did it was declined three times at this gas station even at the machine inside! I go to this gas station all the time Then I went to another gas station and it declined again! That is when I had the pleasure of talking to Ms.Ohio Stephanie and that is when she informed me that my card would not get taken off hold until my full amount owed was paid!

For your information I never received an answer back for this one. The BBB closed the case with their famous form letters or as I like to refer to them as "The Bigot Biased Blockaid" who can't read or write all they know are form letters if they could see how stupid they sound when someone reads the form letter they would be totally embarrassed or maybe not who knows? Nothing surprises me now days with Corporate America and companies along with the agencies state and federal which are suppose to protect us from VERMIN like this!

I hate to say this but...

AUTHOR: Clamity Jane - ()

Please read the documents that were uploaded. The letter from the Mark A. Lphenski from the Corporate Office at Discover and the print out from Valero along with their statement. Now if the Bimbo Stephanie and The Bimbo Daniel knew what they were talking about they should have that is their job but remember NO ONE thinks about what they say or do that works for Corporate America they are just ROBOT'S! Before a letter gets sent out like this everyone needs to get together at corporate and at least make the lie believeable. I have filed complaints against "The Bigot Biased Blockaid" The Better Business Bureau and so have other people which makes me sick the only thing they are better at is being complete "Idiots and Liers" and only know how to do FORM letters.  They need to just get out of the business really they are just wasting people'stime. I think if they actually had to write something they would pass out from fear! In every single complaint they always send a form letter that goes on like this "We have found that the company has made a good faith effort therefore we are closing our file." This is on EVERY single complaint I have filed! Discover still has to answer to The Department of Financial Institutions, The Department of Justice, The Federal Trade Commission, The Office of the Comp Controler, The FDIC, State Department of Banking, The Consumer Affairs Department for Unfair Business Practices.

As far as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as I now like to call them "The Confused Financial Pissonyou Bureau" that was created in 2011 for Wall Street Reform by Frank Dobbs sends your complaints about a bank like GE Capital Retail Money Bank and Pay Pal Smart Connect to a company that is mentioned NO WHERE in the complaint! They can't read nor pay attention they are totally Clueless if this is Wall Street Reform we are all dead financially and The World Has Gone Mad! I have been dealing with what they did since October of 2011. The only reason the District Attorney in Santa Clara California didn't do anything was because The DFI and The Comp Controler came in. Why don't you go to pissedconsumer.com and look at the complaints that I have uploaded documents with since 2011 about "The Big Three" and "The Stupid Three" GE Capital Retail Money Bank, Pay Pal and Pay Pal Smart Connect and "The Idiots Bimbo's & Morons" which all have the "Crook-A-Titus Disease" and the "Idiot Titus Disease" which is also titled "The Disease is spreading" "The Disease is getting out of Control" and when you go to this site and look up my complaints on these disgusting "Corporate America Crooks" read what other people have said. I have documents that have been sent everywhere and these documents are so revealing and so stupid NOT one single person over there can add, write or anything and that is pretty scary because these all came from Corporate all of these documents one hand doesn't know what the other is doing really pathetic! I mean if you are going to lie get together with the rest of the crooks and no names, fake names and ones who had a name but forgot it because they have been given out fake names for so long. Oh, and the Carol's, Bob's, George's, Shawn's in India, South America, The Philipines and Asia if you believe those are there real names then you need to start reading up on just how bad Corporate America is really getting. I do plan on uploading to this site all the documents from GE and Pay Pal and the government and state agencies so people can really see just how Brazen they can get just out right lie! They have lied so much they don't know what the truth is or how to tell it. Go to this site and just read all my documents its an eye opener. Discover Card is no better. Before you write what Mark A. Lpenski did from Corporate you better have all your ducks in a row because if you don't it will show people just how stupid you really are and that the company doesn't care and the people who work there have No Clue! They are just robots! They don't think, they don't eat, they don't read, they don't talk, they can't add etc. , etc. I also don't appreciate being called an Idiot for canceling my card over this and my Credit Score. If a company lies to the Three Credit Bureau's deliberatly especially when the total amount owed was paid in full the day the card was canceled & it was only seven days late which was not late according to Mark A Lpenski in fact nothing that these two Idiots said were true according to the LETTER which was in the thousands then they are truly complete Idiots not to mention Clueless Morons. I'd sue  Discover and I would own them! Read the letters please it will explain everything and that way you won't look to bad for calling me an Idiot!  I would be an Idiot if I didn't because NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING overthere! This is the most screwed up Financial Institution just like GE and Pay Pal and there are many more out there. Read the documents before answering a complaint please. Thank you

I hate to say this but...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

If you truly did close your account over this you are in reallity the only idiot.  You see your credit score is made up of several factors.  One of those factors is your credit "age".  By you closing a 20 year old account it has most likely caused at least a minor dip in your score.  Depending on the exact situation perhaps it was a bit more than minor.

Now as to your issue.  It appears you had a "Fraud Alert" as well as a Past Due Payment.  It is standard for a company to put an account on hold if you become past due.  And having a card for 20 years, you are going to be expected to know when your payment is due and you should have realized it was past due.  As to why the Fraud Department didn't communicate that to you..can't say but again pushing a "late payment" on them is incorrect on your part.

But what is odd is that they required you to pay off your entire balance.  That would be very rare for a person who has had a card for 20 years.  The only reason they would do that is if your payment history isn't the best and perhaps this isn't the first time you have been late.  Another side issue is that why is the Discover Card the only "plastic" in your wallet?  How about your Debit Card tied to your checking account?   There should have been no reason you needed to "scrape" up $2 in change unless there is more to this story than you are saying.

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

It seems your only legitimate complaint here is that the fraud department and the rest of Discover weren't communicating. As far as the fraud department was concerned, there was no fraud (after you called) so they took off the alert and said your card was OK. But the other department still has your card on hold until you make a payment. That's pretty standard as far as credit cards go.

I couldn't read your pictures so I'm not sure what the letter says.

Your "phantom merchant" didn't submit the charge until after you cancelled the card. That's pretty standard too.  Merchants submit their receipts in batches, and it often takes a day or two to catch up with the credit card company.

Why would you cancel the card? That only hurts your credit rating.