Complaint Review: Discover Card

• Submitted: Fri, October 17, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, June 24, 2010

• Reported By:West Valley Utah
Discover Card
2500 S. Lake Park Blvd West Valley City, Utah U.S.A.

Discover Card Unethical Employee Termination Practice West Valley City Utah

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Discover Card Railroads their long-term employees

Discover Card is notorious for treating their long-term employees very poorly. I was an employee for over eight years and had never received any formal disciplinary action against me. In May of this year, I arrived at work to only be taken down the the HR department and informed I was being terminated. No warning, no write ups, no nothing!

Their reasoning for firing me was excessive use of personal e-mail, work avoidance, and hanging up on a customer. They neglected to take into consideration that the customer on the phone was very verbally abusive and would not allow me to assist him in anyway. They also did not take into consideration that I had warned the customer on two separate occasions that the call would be terminated if the language and abuse did not stop. This was the one and only time I have ever hung up on a customer the entire time I worked for this company. They also considered seven personal emails over a period of two days to be excessive. Never mind that the emails themselves were less than 10 words each. In addition, the claim of work avoidance could not be substantiated in any way as I met each and everyone of the standards they set each month, and in some instances even achieved higher results than were required.

To top it all off, they were attempting to monitor another employee's workstation computer but were unable to due to a technical difficulty and therefore proceeded to monitor my workstation. As the other employee was sending an email to me, we both ended up being terminated and for the same reasons as listed above.

For icing on the cake, Discover Card then appealed my claim for Unemployment Insurance Benefits, not once, but a total of three times! Luckily, each of the appeals were found in my favor and I was allowed to receive benefits. Funny how in each of the rulings by Unemployment, they were concerned about the fact there had been no warnings or chances to allow me to change my "behavior" prior to termination. I am not the only case here. I personally know of several instances where employees were terminated without warning or cause and each one of these employees had been there for more than five years...

My recommendation-DO NOT use a Discover Credit Card and DO NOT become employed with this company! It is not worth it....

Queenie
West Valley, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2008 11:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Card/West-Valley-City-Utah-84120/Discover-Card-Unethical-Employee-Termination-Practice-West-Valley-City-Utah-382205. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Card

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Discover Card Railroads their long-term employees

AUTHOR: Railroaded - (United States of America)

I was employed by Discover Card for 11 years.  I started as a Merchant Fraud Prevention Secretary, in Columbus, Ohio.  I had a need for evening hours, so I transferred to Recovery Collections.  I also worked as an Agency Placement Liaison.  I transferred to Open File Collections at the Eastland Operations Center after I married and moved closer to that facility.  At that time, I was well warned that the Open File collectors don't like Recovery Collectors moving in on their territory, and many thought I would soon want to be transferred back to Recovery.

There was some truth to the rivalry, but that was the least of the problems. I was more concerned about events happening after DCSI became Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Company, starting with the railroading of the Company's founder, Tom Butler.  Promotions were given to the young, under qualified, inexperienced employees, rather than the more qualified Long-Term Employee(s), hereinafter referred to as 'LTE'(s),  with proven skills and years more experience.

I am witness to the constant monitoring of many LTE's.  Managers, Supervisors, or designated co-workers watched over us, just waiting for one of us to slip up.   Any little mistake or minute glance or mistaken word, would be embellished and the employee escorted out the door.  One by one, I watched them go.  Those of us LTE's remaining were then grouped into special work "Units".  The managers would take us out for a long breakfast or lunch.  We would be gone for hours.  That was a nice tactic to get rid of us.  If we aren't there, we can't work.  Therefore, we would all fail to meet the monthly goal, then we would be terminated.  I decided not to go on those special "Unit Luncheons", so that I could continue to work and achieve my monthly goal.  So, instead of writing me up for not achieving goal, I was written up for "not being a 'team player'.  At that point I knew my efforts were futile.  I was destined to suffer the same fate as the other LTE's.

I took the option to resign, was escorted out the door into the dark abyss of over 40 and unemployed to live among the RailroaDEAD of Morgan Stanley, Dean Witter, Discover and Company.

I telephoned my former Mill Run Recovery Unit Manager at home one evening.  She told me that she quit because she took her Unit out to breakfast to reward them for a good month.  They were 2 minutes late to work, so she did what she and all of the other managers had always done before--clocked them in manually.  However, this time she was verbally reprimanded and handed a written "Job in Jeopardy" warning to to be placed in her permanent file, after her signature.  She was so appalled, she refused to sign it.  She told them that she didn't even need a job since her husband made more than enough for them both, and she certainly wasn't going to be treated that way.  She walked out, having given them over 20 years on the job. I had to laugh at the irony as I told her that, near that same day, our Unit Manager took our entire Unit out to lunch, then manually clocked us back in 2 HOURS late!

Now, going back to my position in Recovery Collections, I will address another issue that falls under the "Whistle Blower" category:  I submitted an "Employee Suggestion" to the Legal Department to approve a form letter I had written for the Skip/Trace unit to send on accounts with no telephone contact.  All collectors were required to have 20% of their goal in house in the form of post-dated checks, but there was no way to solicit post-dated checks on Skip/Trace accounts, since most were either 'cease and desist calls' or had no phone number at all.

I had received awards previously for my Employee Suggestions--but not this time!  I received a letter from the Legal Department stating that my suggestion was denied because "it is illegal to solicit post-dated checks". I took the letter to the Department Manager and asked, "How can you make something illegal be a part of our monthly job requirement?"

Well, I was certainly hushed very quickly.  Oh, by the way, I still have all the documentation about this.  That's why I didn't give my real address or my current last name or location, however, the telephone number on file is correct.