Complaint Review: Discover Card

• Submitted: Wed, May 30, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, May 31, 2012

• Reported By: Scott — Phoenix Arizona United States of America
Discover Card

Discover Card No consumer protection - disover prefers merchants with F--- better business ratings over customers! Internet, Internet

*Author of original report: Thanks friend

*General Comment: well done Chad!

*Consumer Comment: Unlikely

*General Comment: Contact a consumer lawyer

In 25 years of having a credit card I never had to dispute a transaction.  I asked Discover to help me because a merchant who lied to me repeatedly to get a deposit on merchandise that was not delivered would not give me my money back.  Sorry Charlie, Discover thinks merchants with an F better business rating are better than a customer who just wants HONESTY.

SO merchants can lie, cheat, steal - never give you any merchandise.  You can cancel the transaction in less than 24 hours.  What does Discover do?

Tells you you have a store credit and you can take the merchant to court.

In AZ, you can cancel a contract in 72 hours for any reason.  Not with discover.

Even though I got NOTHING Discover wants me to pay the bill.

The merchant is by IKEA in Tempe - he calls his discount furniture store fun - fun for him because he lies and cheats and Discover says Good boy - take those suckers money.  Here is what discover said in response to my claim.

"Discover can't protect you from the merchant policies; they have the right set their own policies, and non-refundable deposits are not unusual.  The merchant's reputation with the Better Business Bureau is a great way to determine if you want to give them your card number, but once you have provided the information and signed an agreement, nothing
Discover can do will release you from it. State laws about being able to change your mind about purchases are some of the most misunderstood, but if you believe the merchant has broken the law, you can contact an attorney.

I am sorry we could not resolve the case favorably for you; we are required by regulation to keep the charge on your
account based on the information currently available to us. "

They can take the money from his account - but they will not - my God they make Bank of America look good!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/30/2012 06:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Card/internet/Discover-Card-No-consumer-protection-disover-prefers-merchants-with-F-better-busines-890812. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Card

Thanks friend

AUTHOR: Scott - (United States of America)

I appreciate the responses.  My name is Scott by the way.  And no I did not make this up.  Why would I?  I have better things to do.  Honest.  I really do.  I have a life, a job, I do volunteer work.

I was just so stunned that this happened and that twice Discover said "No we will let a merchant lie to you take a deposit and not give a refund even when you determine the merchant is not being honest."

The facts are.

4/23 I walked into a merchant location.  The owner seemed not to listen to me.  4 times he showed me products that said I was specifically not looking for.  Then he offered a very good price - much cheaper than the merchandise I bought at another store.  He said we only have 3 left do you want to hold one?  He never said - give me your money I will keep it forever.

Now 2 minutes earlier I had told him I was also looking at another brand - so holding one in my mind was not giving the merchant my money for ever.  He and discover see it differently.

No delivery was made.  In my mind no return occurred because I got no merchandise that could be returned.  I went back to the merchant store the next day and 3 more times before I moved to San Francisco.

When I got to SF I called because I still had gotten no credit.  He then said - we never give credits.  You have a credit in the store when you come back to Phoenix.  Nice guy...  When he was not telling me lies he was keeping key information from me.

Discover says he does not have to give me my money.

Discover thinks he has a right to keep my money and never give me anything but a store credit for a shop where while I was there a customer came in to complain about poor quality merchandise.  Thanks discover and to those of you who read this.

#2 General Comment

well done Chad!

AUTHOR: Righteous1 - (USA)

I didn't read that it was a contracted non refundable deposit, so if that is true that by golly Chad, you explained it well. Thanks for clearing that part up! I will not do such styles of deposits anyways for products.

I agree that the writer fabricated portions to suit their so called merit of complaint. Otherwise if its a standard deposit they may have rights to refund.....
I disagree 100% with this poster on contractual law and their misinformed time frame ...

Unlikely

AUTHOR: Chad - (USA)

I think you're lying about Discover's response. I think you're typing your own interpretation of their actual letter. If you put a non-refundable deposit on something, SURPRISE! It's non-refundable. Doesn't matter if it's less than 24 hours later. Non-refundable means exactly what it sounds like. All the merchant had to do was fax Discover the terms and conditions you purchased under and your signature to close down your dispute.

Incidentally, how is it you expected delivery if you cancelled the transaction in less than 24 hours?

#4 General Comment

Contact a consumer lawyer

AUTHOR: Righteous1 - (USA)

Poster- You are not being fully informed of your credit rights. Contact a consumer lawyer.
I am highly concerned that you are being told you cannot dispute and be re-imbursted for the "deposit" if the transaction did not go thru entirely. Was it a special order?
Regardless, you have 30 days from statement date to make a dispute with your credit holder and they are required to fully investigate. I find it difficult to beleive that Discover even wrote what was stated in your posting. There had to be some self editing done to suit this complaint. Again , please contact a consumer lawyer for proper advisal on this alledge failure by Discover.
and PS: Have Discover state the "law" that requires them to keep that active on your account when in dispute!. That too me was the red herring of this entire post. Never in my 30 some years of owning a card has ANY creditor made that comment...and for good reason...there is NO federal law that mandates that!