alliance

• Reported By: Teresa — Madison Wisconsin United States of America
Discover Card

Discover Card credit card fee scam Internet

*Consumer Comment: Discover Card's Dishonesty

*Consumer Comment: Hardly a scam..

I pay off my Discover card every month. In fact, I more than pay it off, because I have an additional automatic payment of $40 that goes to them every month, in order to cover the minimum payment due in case I'm late with my full payment. Then I at least don't get hit with late fees (though I still end up paying interest, but I figure, my bad for being late, I'll pay some interest without complaining, I just don't want to see those OUTRAGEOUS late fees that credit card companies level.).

For the past couple of months I've been seeing late fees on my Discover card, even though the $40 payment was there in time. First $19.00 then $35.00, twice. I finally got around to calling to ask what gives.

Well, my "minimum payment due" in those months was more than $40, so even though my $40 got there on time, it didn't meet the minimum payment due, so I got charged late fees. $19.00 for the first time and then $35.00 because it happened more than once. So, I asked, why has the minimum payment due gone up from $40? Answer: the minimum payment due is calculated on the total bill. Forty dollars or two percent of the total, whichever is greater. I looked at my bill. Excuse me, I asked, how is my minimum payment due of $62.00 two percent of my total bill of $457?!! Oh, we'll take care of that, she said, hastily. We'll reset your minimum payment to $40, return your interest rate to what it was and refund the late fees.

They just bogusly hiked my minimum payment due -- in violation of their own stated calculations -- so they could charge me late fees and raise my interest.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2010 02:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Card/internet/Discover-Card-credit-card-fee-scam-Internet-675648. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Card

Discover Card's Dishonesty

AUTHOR: Jim - (United States of America)

It does not suprize me that Discovercard would raise thier minimum payment amount and charge late fees without notification.  They are known for charging more higher interest rates than the highest rates that are given on thier website.  Also, raising thier interest rates to 29.9% whenever they feel they can stick somebody with a payment they can't afford.  They certainly try to get consumers to think that they are "good guys" with thier "It pays to Discover" slogan.  I would actually give Bank of America and Chase higher marks than Discover.

Hardly a scam..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- You got a credit card company to agree to lower your minimum payment, reset your interest rate to a LOWER amount and refund the late fees after being late multiple times. If you are going to continue to use credit I have one thought for you..KEEP THAT CARD. Seriously..that is above and beyond what you hear other credit card companies doing.

But since you finally got around to finding out "what gives", you can take this as a learning experience. NO ONE is that busy wherethey don't have time to take 2 minutes to look at your statement when you get it(either by e-mail or mail) to verify the $40 will cover the minimum payment. If you are too busy to manage your accounts, then you are too busy to use the credit card.

This is why you are very lucky that they did what they did for something that was obviously your fault. Because you would have noticed the increase in your minimum payment and been able to call and find out BEFORE it was even due.

Also, you are probably mistaken on the amount due. Most likely your minimum payment is calulated on 2% of your balance PLUS the estimated interest PLUS any fees. So depending on your interest rate and the fees your minimum could have gone up to $62.

But if you are correct and it is just a straight 2% they may also have increased either the percentage on your balance or the "minimum" minimum payment. For any of those changes they would have sent you a notice. Which I am sure you would havereceived, but perhaps you just didn't get around to reading it.