• Report: #419295

• Submitted: Mon, February 02, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, February 02, 2009

• Reported By:Kansas City Kansas
Discover Credit Card Services
Discover Card .com Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.

Discover Credit Card Services Performed an unauthorized balance transfer I'll Look It Up Salt Lake City Utah

*Consumer Comment: Letters attached to credit card applicantions do not mean anything to banks.

I responded to an offer from Discover Card Services last year in April. It was a balance transfer at 3% for 12 months. With the application I sent a letter specifically stating, if they can't perform the entire transfer I want, then DO NOT TRANSFER ANY AMOUNT. I wanted a transfer of $8000.00. They did exactly what I ordered them not to do. They transfered less than half $3832.00. I received a notice in the mail one Saturday indicating a transfer had been made to my current credit card. I immediately call them on the phone (I was pissed off) and who ever I spoke to, ordered them to reverse the transfer. He claimed it couldn't be done. I asked him about the letter I sent along with the application, stating not to transfer any amount unless it was the entire balance, he acknowledged the letter I wrote, yet did what they wanted to anyway. I told him under no uncertain terms I'm sending the entire amount back to Discover because I told you not to perform the transfer. If I couldn't get what I wanted, then I didn't want anything. I'm not sending anymore than the amount you transfered. No transfer fee or nothing, because I specifically ordered you not to. I sent the entire amount back to Discover along with another letter reminding them for doing something against my orders, and no fee will be added. I didn't use, I returned it immediately after it credited my account. I made a complaint to my attorney generals office, his office advised me to make a complaint to the federal trade commission which I did. I received a letter from the FTC stating they couldn't pursue a complaint from an individual but they would file my complaint in the event other similar complaints were written to their office, and suggested I hire an attorney to handle the dispute. Why should I spend more money to hire an attorney to remedy something that never should have happened anyway. They have place a negative comment on my Transunion credit report indicating I owe them $200.00 unpaid. I've written a letter of dispute to the credit reporting agency explaining the situation as I've done here.

Chuck
Kansas City, Kansas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2009 05:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Credit-Card-Services/Salt-Lake-City-Utah/Discover-Credit-Card-Services-Performed-an-unauthorized-balance-transfer-Ill-Look-It-Up-S-419295. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Credit Card Services

Letters attached to credit card applicantions do not mean anything to banks.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

Always read the "fine print", i.e, terms and conditons of any credit card application before you apply by mail, internet or telephone. If you cannot accept the bank's credit card terms, don't apply for the card. You only have yourself to blame. The bank will always say they have the right to change the terms of the credit card at any time and that policy is usually printed in the "legalese".