Complaint Review: Discover Credit Card

• Submitted: Tue, April 15, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, April 16, 2008

• Reported By:west hollywood California
Discover Credit Card
PO Box 30943 Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.

Discover Credit Card If you make a dicover purchase(defective item) from unscrupulous seller and return the item you still lose your money - discovercard.com violates the Fair Credit Billing Act and takes the merchants' side in billing disputes. Salt Lake City Utah

*Author of original report: discover credit card ripoff

discover card horror story

I have serious reasons to believe that Discover Credit card http://www.discovercard.com violates the Fair Credit Billing Act and takes the merchants' side in billing disputes.

1st case

I made a purchase with a Discover card -$ 490, I returned the merchandise to the merchant , I provided Discover with overwhelming proof that the merchandise was returned-I faxed all the documents, still they say that the charge is valid and they refuse to charge back the merchant.

So I have no merchandise , since it was returned , and the $ 490 is gone.

Discover wants on the tracking page the PRINTED full address on the merchant (including street number)-fedex/usps/ups only provide the city/zip/date/time on the tracking page, but full address is on the shipping receipt , though.

The full address (including street number)- is written on the post office receipt; when you track something on line, it shows the date , time, city and zip code, not the street address printed.

They have excessive criteria-impossible to meet for the buyer-card holder, for proof of delivery( I said "will you give me in writing what kind of proof of delivery you expect from me?"-they refused!)

I even went to the post office and got the signature of the merchant and the street number in the merchant's handwriting , scanned by USPS, proving delivery of returned merchandise.

I told Discover I can forward the ORIGINAL USPS document with scanned images (merchant signature/street address to them ).

So I lost $ 490 and $ 80 I paid to send the item back -it was a heavy item

2nd case.

I purchased some Infinity speakers for $ 690, they arrived broken down and non functional (tweeters were blown), I filled a billing dispute with Discover Credit card, explaining the situation and the refusal of the merchant to take the speakers back.

The answer: we cannot force the merchant to take them back , you deal with the merchant , as far as we are concerned , the charge is valid.

So I am stuck with paying $ 690 for goods not delivered as promised.

THE CONCLUSION: you buy something with Discover card from a bad merchant who would not accept returns (see case # 2) , you do not get any help/protection from Discover-they tell you to deal with the merchant directly.

So I think you are way better off with Visa /mastercard, I was in similar situation and I got the money back after returning the merchandise.

You buy something with Discover and send it back ( see case # 1) , you still lose the money , since Discover will make outrageous demands for proof of shipping (I even faxed the seller signature at delivery).

I returned the merchandise I purchased with Discover , still did not get my $ 490 back.

You purchase something on ebay, click on the paypal payment button , charge your discover card, you never get the merchandise, guess what : Discover will tell you the charge was valid , you lose the money.

They tell you to communicate with the seller directly , they do not take care of you, like Visa/mastercard would do.

DISCOVER CARD IS A BIG RIPOFF, I called FTC and OCC and filled complaints.

I will call all the local TV stations in Los Angeles

Facts for Consumers
Fair Credit BillinWhat types of disputes are covered?
The FCBA settlement procedures apply only to disputes about "billing errors." For example:

unauthorized charges. Federal law limits your responsibility for unauthorized charges to $50;
charges that list the wrong date or amount;
charges for goods and services you didn't accept or weren't delivered as agreed;
math errors;
failure to post payments and other credits, such as returns;
failure to send bills to your current address - provided the creditor receives your change of address, in writing, at least 20 days before the billing period ends; and
charges for which you ask for an explanation or written proof of purchase along with a claimed error or request for clarificationg

I will be more than happy to provide all the supporting documentation , if ANYONE could take care of this kind of cases.

Please let me know if you can help me.

NEVER EVER MAKE MAJOR PURCHASES WITH DISCOVER, if you get burned by the seller, discover will not help you and it will violate your billing rights, they will note force the merchant to take the goods back through a chargeback

NEVER shop on ebay with discover card , if you get defective merchandise or do not get it at all, you lose the money , unlike with visa/mastercard, who will help you.

west hollywood, California

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Discover Card

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2008 11:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Credit-Card/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-84130/Discover-Credit-Card-If-you-make-a-dicover-purchasedefective-item-from-unscrupulous-sell-326417. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Credit Card

discover credit card ripoff

AUTHOR: Ovi - (U.S.A.)

There was a post , a guy saying that discover fights for the card holder in paypal disputes, it is FALSE , I see postings of other people who had the same problem I had.

I called FTC, I have a case number.

There was someone saying that paypal and discover have an agreement (wondering how legal that agreement is) , so discover will not take the money from paypal in case of a billing dispute filled by the card holder, the card holder is defrauded in this case.

So , my advise, never use discover card on ebay/paypal or for major purchases.

They do not care about the card holder, they take the merchant's side always.

I am trying to set up a web site exposing the discover - paypal scam any help/ideas?