Complaint Review: Discover Financial Services/ Discover Card

• Submitted: Wed, February 18, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, February 18, 2009

• Reported By:Southern California
Discover Financial Services/ Discover Card
Po Box 15316 Wilmington, Delaware U.S.A.

Discover Card Services, Discover Financial Services/ Discover Card Discover Card Closes 20 Yr Old. Account on individual with credit score over 800 & only utilizing 3% of available credit Wilmington Delaware

I have had my account with Discover since 1989. I received a letter this month stating they were immediately suspending my account and would be closing it within the next 30 days. When I called the customer service line the representative was shocked it was being closed and said I should go out and charge something on it to update the "activity" report. I said I would and could he please send me a new card since my previous one was damaged (hence the inactivity). He placed me on hold and then came back and said that "Yes the account was being closed" and sending me a new card would not remedy this.

He said I should have received a prior notice, since I "live in California", stating my account was being considered for suspension. I responded I had not and asked if there was anything I could do to keep this account open. He referred me to his supervisor who said she could not help me but suggested I apply for a new account. I declined this option since I am in the process of purchasing a home (in Wilmington, DE -ha,ha) in the next 60 days, have a credit score over 800, and didn't want a hard pull on my credit report.I am furious that my account is being closed.

Having been an excellent customer for 20 years and having never paid late on this or any other account
I feel that I am a victim of discrimination based on my state of residence.

Southern, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/18/2009 02:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discover-Financial-Services-Discover-Card/Wilmington-Delaware-19850/Discover-Card-Services-Discover-Financial-Services-Discover-Card-Discover-Card-Closes-20-425696. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discover Financial Services/ Discover Card