Complaint Review: Dish Network / American Satellite Inc.

• Submitted: Wed, November 19, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, September 08, 2010

• Reported By:palm springs California
Dish Network / American Satellite Inc.
powerpayout.com/promo/?sid=NTAwNDguNTc1LkNEMTk2NDdfMjA4MzkzLjAwMA== San Diego, California U.S.A.

Dish NetworkDish Network / American Satellite Inc. SCAMMED!! DISH NETWORK FRAUD: CONSUMERS BEWARE! San Diego California

*Consumer Comment: Whats the Problem?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: What is the Complaint???? This makes NO sense!!!!!

Our cable package is pretty expensive, so my partner and I had been considering switching. This morning he told me about a great deal that included three months free service, free dvr box, a free ipod nano, and free installation. I thought this sounded too good to be true, so I went about my morning routine in the garden.

He went ahead and signed up for the service:

They wanted our account information for automatic withdrawl, which he wouldn't provide. So they asked for a credit card number, "to charge a $1.00 fee"... then they asked for his social security number. They set up an account and a date for installation.

Minutes later, his delayed intuition prompted him to call back (For the record, this report isn't intended to bash him, I've already torn him a new one for giving out his SSN to these scammers) and they had no record of any account nor any idea who he was.

He expressed his concern, and when he mentioned cancelling the credit card, the Rep said, "No no no.. no need to do that..."

Then, he heard the Rep smother the receiver and whisper, "..It's him..".

The Rep put this other person on the line who said, "We'll call you back with your account information in ten minutes" then hung up.

He immediately cancelled our credit card. I wish I'd asked his source for this service beforehand, because for anyone semi-computer literate, it's a total red flag. Trust your SPAM filter and review websites for signs of illegitamacy or blatant unprofessional details. Additionally, a P.O. box is a very suspicious for any company address.

From my research, a LOT of people are scammed by these contractors. Is anyone taking action? Is there anything that can be done, aside from raising awareness, to shut them down?

palm springs, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2008 05:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network-American-Satellite-Inc/San-Diego-California/Dish-NetworkDish-Network-American-Satellite-Inc-SCAMMED-DISH-NETWORK-FRAUD-CONSUMERS-393019. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network / American Satellite Inc.

Whats the Problem?

AUTHOR: Lawrence - (United States of America)

Sorry not to be rude,BUT ARE YOU DRUNK? This makes no sense at all. Ofcourse they need info, did you get your mobile phone wihout giving this out. I think if they gave you all that free stuff without checking your info you would still complain. You are clearly looking for some reason to cry about anything.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

What is the Complaint???? This makes NO sense!!!!!

AUTHOR: Amsatceo - (U.S.A.)

I am the CEO of the company mentioned in this complaint and I have NO idea as to what was done wrong. I have signed up well over 1 million customers for Dish Network and Directv. We have an "A" rating with the BBB and we NEVER have had any probems regarding use of personal information collected. It seems that the customer has a problem with them providing thier social security number and credit card information to us. we are required to collect this information, as well as run a soft credit check in order to qualify a customer to receive the thousands of dollars of FREE equipment, FREE installation and FREE programming that is given with this promotion. I ask WHAT THE COMPLAINT ACTUALLY IS HERE???????
This makes no sense to me or any othe rational individual. I am truly sorry thta we cannot fulfill these services without collecting ths information, but who in thier right mind would. Rest assured that your information collected will be WELL proteted. If anyone has any questions regarding OUR company and not the other American Satellite's please go to the San Diego BBB. I know that you will be very pleased by what you find.

For the record, we are not affiliated with any other American Satellite.