Complaint Review: Dish Network

Office of the Attorney General
11 South Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130

Dear Ms. Barber:

Three years ago I asked that your office investigate Dish Network (based in Englewood, CO) for fraud.  Although I did not request that you serve as my private lawyer, you replied that the Attorney General  cannot act as a private lawyer for you in this type of dispute.  If you will actually read my October 31, 2006 correspondence to you (enclosed), you will see quite clearly that I did not want a private lawyer and did not ask for a private lawyer.

You further indicated that the Consumer Affairs Section can even initiate litigation against unfair or deceptive business practices against the public.   I may be mistaken, but I believe that is exactly what I requested in my initial correspondence to you, then clearly reiterated in my October 31, 2006 correspondence to you.

Dish Network has blatantly engaged in fraud, while denying that fraud to you in writing.  I have enclosed several documents pertinent to this fraud.  Among them is correspondence to you from Bryan Grant, Dispute Resolution Specialist, Dish Network, indicating that When I spoke with Mr. Handley today, I advised him that our records do not show that we have debited any funds from the credit card account referenced in his complaint.  Also included is your subsequent correspondence to me and my response to you, which you did not address.

Also, you will find correspondence from me to GM (the credit card company) outlining the details of the dispute.  Most importantly, I have just found GMs resolution notice to me (enclosed), which states, Thank you for your inquiry regarding the item(s) of $298.00 from DISH NETWORK-ONE TIME.  We have determined the charge to be fraudulent (my emphasis).

If I am correct, consumer fraud is illegal.  I would also think that lying in writing to the Attorney Generals Office regarding the fraud might be illegal.

I have access to documentation of hundreds of people across the United States, some in Alabama, who claim to have been defrauded by Dish Network.  From my personal experience, I have to believe that a few of them may be telling the truth.

You previously advised me that I was free to pursue this matter further through the assistance of a private attorney.  Since many private attorneys are eager to pursue class action suits, I may well do that if you once again decline to address this documented fraud.  But if you do decline, I must admit that I will be sorely disappointed with those of you who are paid well to protect the public interest.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/29/2009 11:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network/Englewood-Colorado-80112/Dish-Network-Dish-Network-One-Time-Request-for-Prosecution-Englewood-Colorado-487057. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network

Dish pays

AUTHOR: Ernest - (U.S.A.)

Attorney Generals in at least 45 states have found Dish guilty.

Read here: - http://www.bizzia.com/articles/dish-network-settles-lawsuit/

Nice work

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Excellent letter, Roger.

Unfortunately, the AG's office isn't going to take on a battle such as this until they see a pattern of similar complaints. If this is just happening to you, or just happening to a few people in Alabama, the office is going to consider it a personal matter as opposed to a matter that affects the citizenry at-large.

And, unfortunately again, if this is a widespread issue, only a very small portion of victims are going to file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. It is always unlikely that the government will assert its might in a "little fraud by a big corporation" scenario.

And here's where it should really get under your skin: if you steal $300 from your neighbor, and everybody knows that you did it, you can be d**n sure that the State will pursue criminal charges against you. And you can be pretty sure that those charges will stick.

Yet we can't even get the State to seek a civil injunction to prevent theft because the perpetrator is a massive corporation rather than a working man?

I would file a small claims suit against Dish Network. Ask for three times the amount they took from you (repayment + punitive-type damages). If you've already received a refund, subtract that amount from your claim. And, by the way, this is personal advice, not legal advice.

Best regards!