Complaint Review: Dish Network

• Updated: Tue, March 22, 2011

• Reported By: Elizabeth — Villa Rica Georgia United States of America
Dish Network
P.O. Box 9040 Littleton, Colorado United States of America

Dish Network EchoStar Satellite Early cancellation fee charges. Littleton, Colorado

*UPDATE Employee: I am sorry

*Author of original report: Response to Becki's response

*Consumer Comment: FYI

*UPDATE Employee: Employee

I called Dish Network's customer service department on several occasions concerning an early termination fee in the amount of $200.  I had to move to a new location in November and the apartment complex I moved to is strictly Directv.  I was told that I could not have Dish Network on the property.

I returned all of the equipment I had belonging to Dish Network per our phone discussion.  Needless to say, in February I began receiving bills from Dish Network stating that I owed $210 for an early termination fee.  I could never get an understanding about where the $10 come into play.  Now my bill has increased to $260.  I'm assume they're charging interest and late charges now.

On today I started receiving calls from a collection agency.  I immediately called Dish Network and was told that they had no control over the bill now that it has gone to collections.  I explained to them again that I had to move and was not allowed to bring my dish with me.  I also explained to them that I never signed a contract stating that I would owe $200 for an early termination fee.  I have a pink copy singing to have the services installed but nothing on the ping copy states anything about an early termination fee.

I requested a copy of an agreement with my signature on it from someone on records.  I was told that I would receive it within 15 days.  Also, I requested an address to file a complaint concerning this issue.

This is such a rip off to have to pay fees for an early termination with I had to move.  My having to move was totally out of my control.  My lease was up, my commute to work was 1 hour and 10 minutes one way, I'm a single parent, a part-time college student, and am working an internship earning a low salary.

After googling complaints against Dish Network, I feel that it will be a waste of time to write to the company.  I just want the early cancellation fees waived and the collections calls to stop.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/07/2011 07:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network/Littleton-Colorado-80120/Dish-Network-EchoStar-Satellite-Early-cancellation-fee-charges-Littleton-Colorado-703995. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network

I am sorry

AUTHOR: BeckiB@Dish Network - (USA)

I am sorry that you were not able to reach me by email. The email address I provided is my address but here it is again to try. becki.barned@dishnetwork.com; i can look into the contract for you. It can take up to 10 business days to get to you, so we can see where that is for you. Please try to email me again so that we can resolve this. Thank you.

Becki Barned
DISH Network Customer Service

Response to Becki's response

AUTHOR: Upset Mover - (United States of America)

Becki I tried emailing you to see if you could assist me.  Evidently, you provided me an invalid address.  Also, I have not received a copy of the contract that I supposedly signed and 15 days has passed.  Yet I continue to receive phone calls from the collection agency.  I told the agency again today that I disputed the charges.

FYI

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

By signing the pink install copy, you agreed to the contract and package you asked for.  That could have been a package with every movie channel or just a bare basic package.

Demand that they send you a copy of what the package you signed up for was (including fine print) on the day of the install. I doubt it but maybe when you signed up the deal was only a one year contract.

Employee

AUTHOR: BeckiB@Dish Network - (USA)

Hello Elizabeth. My name is Becki Barned, with DISH Network Customer Service. I am sorry to hear about the unexpected cancellation fee. If a contract is broken, there is a cancellation fee. I would be more than happy to look into this for you, however. Please email me at becki.barned@dishnetwork.com. Thank you.

Becki Barned