Complaint Review: Dish Network

• Submitted: Sat, December 29, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, February 12, 2013

• Reported By: pamela — sacramento California United States of America
Dish Network

Dish Network Dish Network charged me $80 PLUS $37 to return their receiver. Do not EVER contract with Dish! Internet

*Author of original report: Dish Network

*UPDATE Employee: Shipping Fees

*Consumer Comment: Not a rip-off at all

*Consumer Comment: When you signed up for your Dish service...

Dish Network recommended I place my account on pause while waiting for my home to be built. After realizing I couldn't place the satellite dish on my balcony, I called to cancel my service. A rude girl informed me I owed $80 PLUS $37 to return the receiver. DishNetwork has terrible customer service when canceling service. Do not EVER contract with Dish Network, it's a horrible ripoff. I now have Wave Broadband and they are wonderful and NO contract.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2012 05:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network/internet/Dish-Network-Dish-Network-charged-me-80-PLUS-37-to-return-their-receiver-Do-not-EVER-c-988720. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network

Dish Network

AUTHOR: pamela - (United States of America)

I had been with Dish for four years.

Yes, I realize what a contract means, I am not stupid.

Plus, it does not excuse how rude the employee acted towards me.

I did not have to sign a contract with Wave Broadband, explain that.

Shipping Fees

AUTHOR: Mike H. DISH - (USA)

Hi my name is Mike Houston a Social Media Representative at DISH; I understand youre not happy about the return shipping fees for the DISH equipment. I am more than happy to explain the other option a customer can use to return the equipment. We provide our shipping labels if the customer cannot find a shipping method of their own. To better assist you, would you send me an e-mail with the phone number that was on the account? My e-mail is; michael.houston@dish.com

Not a rip-off at all

AUTHOR: Neva - (USA)

I have had Dish Network for 4 years and have never had a problem. I had a 2 year contract and understood there would be penalties if I failed to honor the 2 year contract. I had to sign it and if you had read it before signing it, you would know the terms.

The rude customer service is certainly not my experience. During their negotiations with AMC, I called to express my anger at losing the channel. I explained I was a huge fan of the Walking Dead, and had been a loyal customer. First they offered a free Roku and a $10.00 credit on my bill to cover the costs of paying to watch it on Amazon. It was not more than 2 weeks later that AMC was back and I got to keep the Roku and the credit for another 5 months. The reps were so friendly and understanding even though I am sure they had ALOT of upset customers.

Your experience was not the usual.

When you signed up for your Dish service...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

you agreed to a two year contract with a pro-rated cancellation fee if terminated before the two years is up. Did you have the service for the agreed upon two years?

Did you ever read your contract? It DOES explain it.

I don't work for Dish, but KNOW the terms of my contract with them. I've had the service for MANY years and understand that some upgrades or moves will restart a two year commitment.

That's how they recover their costs. Without that agreement, there would be fairly high upfront costs.