Complaint Review: Dish Network

Dish Network

Dish Network Dishnetwork moving charges, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Agree!

*UPDATE Employee: DISH Support

*Author of original report: Resolved!

If you are with Dish - or are thinking about hooking up service with them WATCH OUT! Who knows what other little pitfalls they have built into their system to justify taking more money from you?

Heres how they got me.

About 2 - 3 months ago I called dish network because I was moving.  I explained that I'm going to a new city and I'm going to sort out housing once I get there - and would stay with relatives while I looked for places to live.  They explained that for a minimal charge (somthing like $5 to the best of my memory) they could put my service on hold for upto 6 months.  They explained that while the service was on hold the clock would also stop on my contract period.  I remember being a bit surprised that they had such a consumer friendly policy given the bad rep that these sat tv providers for customer service.  I tried to think of any of the common ways that these sat providers trick people and made sure that putting the service on hold would not trigger a new contract or fee increase. It SOUNDED free of pitfalls - so I agreed to the service hold.  Now about 3 months have passed and I'm ready to restore the service.  When I call to restore the service the first time I am told that I must pay a $100 move fee.  When I asked why and stated that my understanding when I signed up for the service was that a move would be free.  After some checking the rep told me that it normally would be free - but because I placed the service on hold status they would now have to charge for a move.  I told them I want to disconnect the service if they insist on charging this fee.  The rep transfered me to someone else - who told me essentially the same thing and that there was no possibility that they would waive the fee.  He also confirmed that it will cost $180 to end my contract - which is actually less than I thought it would cost.  Anyway, I told him I would think about it and call back.  So my position now is that I have lost $100 for which I will get no value regardless of what I do - do I pay an extra $80 to get out of the contract making the total loss $180 - but then I still want the service...  I wish I had just gone with a traditional cable TV provider to start out with.  Sure it is tempting to terminate the contract just to punish them, but in reality they won't care or even really know..  I guess the only thing I can really do is post this - and hopefully a few people will read it and not fall into the same trap.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2010 02:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network/internet/Dish-Network-Dishnetwork-moving-charges-Internet-663977. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network

Agree!

AUTHOR: kjb1990 - (United States of America)

I am having the same issue. I am extremely dissatisfied with Dish. When I signed up I asked about moving and was told it would be free as I was renting a home. Now that I am moving they are trying to charge 100$ to move. After I was previously told it was free.

They tried to waive 50$ but I told them no as this is not what I was told when I signed up and not what was advertised on the dish mover page. I spoke with a manager who was extremely rude to me saying that I had to have my service with them for 1 year and I've only had it for 8 months. This company is extremely shady and I am very unhappy I will never recomend this company to anyone.

DISH Support

AUTHOR: NickF DISH - (USA)

Hello, this is Nick F. with DISH Network Customer Support.

I'm glad to hear this issue was resolved for you! If you ever have questions in the future in addition to contacting our customer service line you can always contact us via Facebook and @dishnetwork on Twitter!

Resolved!

AUTHOR: A12345 - (United States of America)

It took 2 callbacks - but finally I got someone who actually knew what they were doing.  I guess it was not the hold status but some kind of system glitch.  Whatever it was - they fixed it and install will be free - and they can get someon in to do it tomorrow!  Got to say thats not bad.  I guess at this point the only thing I can fault them with is that it took 3 calls to get this done properly.  The lesson is that if the first few people you talk with swear up and down that there is no way of fixing your problem don't believe it - just keep calling back if you know you are right.  After a while you'll get someone who can sort it out.