Complaint Review: Dish Network

• Reported By: Jeff — Syracuse New York United States of America
Dish Network

Dish Network lied and refuse to credit my account Internet

*Consumer Comment: To BeckiB@Dish Network

*Consumer Comment: DISH SUCKS!

*Consumer Comment: As you can see the Dish contract only works one way!

*UPDATE Employee: Price Increase

Let it be known this is the first time I've ever complained online.  I entered into a two year agreement with Dish Network in July of 2010.  My 1st year was supposed to be $24.99, which is still advertised this very second, beware.  My second year is suppose to be $39.99 a month until my contract expires in July 2012.  Prior to signing the two year agreement I was repeatedly assured the Dishnetwork rates would not be raised during my two year agreement.  That said, my last bill showed as $29.99, $5.00 dollars more than I agreed to.  I called Dishnetwork and asked why, and a representative advised me the rates had gone up.  I explained to the rep. that I was repeatedly assured my rates would not be raised, which was why I agreed to be a customer.  I was told that if I was provided that information by a Dishnetwork rep. it was an error and the rep I spoke to should not have made that guarantee.  Furthermore, Dishnetwork would not honor any form of a verbal agreement.

Here's the kicker, after complaining about my bill being raised and expalining that I was lied to the Dishnetwork rep. asked if I would be willing to give up the current Starz promotion, which if you didn't know is supposedly being given to Dishnetwork customers, free for a year.  They are advertising the free year of Starz as a thank you promotion.  Anyway, the Dishnetwork rep. stated he could cancel my "Free" Starz and credit my account $5.00 dollars to bring my bill back to $24.99.  Ummmm...  You do the math, if your bill recently went up by $5.00 dollars it's to pay for your "Free - aka $5.00 dollar Starz promotion.  I told the Dishnetwork rep. and a Dishnetwork manager that I was later transferred too that this was misleading/bad business.  I demanded my account be cancelled and I was advised I would be charged a $280.00 early cancellation fee.  To make a long story short, I'm anxiously awaiting July of 2012 because I, being an honest and respectable human being, expect the same from individuals/businesses that I give my money to for services.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/28/2011 05:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-Network/internet/Dish-Network-lied-and-refuse-to-credit-my-account-Internet-711254. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish Network

To BeckiB@Dish Network

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

BeckiB@Dish Network,

A contract is a two-way street. Dish Network doesn't see it that way. What purpose does a contract serve if all parties involved aren't required to honor it? The customer should be entitled to withdraw from the agreement if the provider is unwilling to honor the deal. Dish Network has shameful and deceptive policies.

DISH SUCKS!

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

Never had it, never will.

As you can see the Dish contract only works one way!

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (United States of America)

If you read the rebuttal, the employee makes it clear that your contract is only a contract in the sense that you commit to Dish Network for 2 years. Dish Network does not commit to keeping your billing at the same rate as stated in the "contract".

I had Dish Network years ago and ran into the same issue as you did. I did the math and cancelled the account with them because the cancelation fee worked out to be less than the remaining monthly amount due on their "contract". IMO, if we all stop signing up for these type of services we can put Dish Network out of business - or make them change the way they do business. A contract needs to go both ways - our commitment for two years and their price commitment for the same time period. *rant over*

Price Increase

AUTHOR: BeckiB@Dish Network - (USA)

Hello Jeff, my name is Becki Barned, with DISH Network. I do apologize for the frustration with the price increase while you are in a commitment. When the networks raise their rates, we must raise our rates as well. The contract does stipulate that prices and programming are subject to change at any time. The STARZ was a free gift, given for our 30th anniversary. There were different gifts given, based on your programming in February. You could exchange the STARZ for the $5 off th bill for a year, because you can only have one free gift. If you have any other questions, concerns, or would like to switch out your STARZ, please e-mail me at becki.barned@dishnetwork.com. Thank you!

Becki Barned