Complaint Review: Dish TV - Dish Network

• Submitted: Thu, May 13, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, April 01, 2011

• Reported By: Todd — Omahah United States of America
Dish TV - Dish Network

Dish TV - Dish Network Evreytime it rains our DishTV 's transponder goes off.The companies asnswer was it always goes off when theres a heavy rain,I said you nevet told me or I would not have signed a two year agrreement wh Internet

*Consumer Comment: Same thing here.

*General Comment: weather

*UPDATE Employee: there are many of misconceptions when it comes to weather and satellite signal.

*Consumer Comment: The Dish and the Weather

*UPDATE Employee: Hello! This is Dan Busa with DISH Network

I Todd on 5/12/2010 was watching  Dish TV Network and the transponder went out again,it is very common to be watching a movie and the climax is interupted by the transponder going off.The company stated"The transponder will always go off when it rains hard". Furthermore I was watching the movie the "The Mirror" starring Kiefer Sutherland and the last ten minutes of  the movie (the climax) were interupted due to the transponder going out. It was not raining I watched this movie for almost two hours and missed the climax,I was upset called the company and I could hear laughter in the background as I told the Technial Support the problem,it was 2:10 AM in the morning a clear night.They said that it wont happen again and gave me 3 months free of HBO,Starz and Showtime.Apparently the tech support team was bored and to get their kicks they turned off my transponder it went back right away after the call.That is poor service messing with people because their working third shift and apparently bored. I give them a thumbs down on their services.

Sincerely,

Todd

Omaha,Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/13/2010 01:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish-TV-Dish-Network/internet/Dish-TV-Dish-Network-Evreytime-it-rains-our-DishTV-s-transponder-goes-offThe-companie-602994. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish TV - Dish Network

Same thing here.

AUTHOR: drhuss - (United States of America)

I had the same problem. Dish went out w/light snow. While I understand that they have no control over the satellite strength when I called to have a tech come out and re-align it (I have the service plan so it'd be a 15 charge) they absolutely flat out refused to send anyone. It was ridiculous. I called 3 times, was hung up on twice. Finally I got a foreign rep (I know, odd to be happy to get a non-American on the phone) who actually helped me. Dish's American employees can die in a fire. Don't be surprised when your jobs get sent to the Mexicans who actually help people (seriously, he was great).

#2 General Comment

weather

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I spent 4 years in the Air Force in RADAR Repair. The equipment had a switch called CP ( circular polarization). Since a rain drop is somewhat spherical in shape. This feature would help to some degree to allow the signal to get thru.

But once the rain got heavy enough . You couldnt get enough signal in to see the target ont he scope.This also applies to the little dishes.Dish Network and Directv use CP, 120 Watt satellites and offset feed horn to get the maxium amount of signal to your dish.

But after over 15 years I'm surprised to see anyone whohasn't heard of rain fade.

Also if your house is in the flight path of an airport. You might see the signal cut out and come back. If the mounting of dish wasn't done right. If something is lose and then your signal would come and go in the wind. If the dish is pointed into a tree. Then depending on how much of the signal is being blocked. You might see the signal come and go also with the wind blowing.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say . That you might see IPTV as a part of the equipment and when you lose your signal and the equipment is connected to the internet. That youwould be able to still watch something.

That some in the phone business already use such IPTV technology.

But no matter what cable , phone and satellite. They all have some cons along with the pros.

The phone companies using phone wire to run cable on. Might just expereince some tiling problems.I noticed recently one local company running fiber optic cable to replace the old phone wire. About 6 to 7 years ago fiber cable was about 5 dollars a foot. I can't imagine what the cost is today. But they are spending a lot of money.

But what most people don't realize is if your watching cable . That chances are you watching satellite. That is how the cable companies received the channels for years. But now it is a mix of satellite and internet that provides the channels to the cable companies.

Comcast cable has a Head End in the Sky called H.I.T.S. . This providescable head ends the channels they provide to their locations across the country. Even the little dishes provide their service to other cable companies.

After 27 years in the satellite business things have changed a lot.

there are many of misconceptions when it comes to weather and satellite signal.

AUTHOR: DanB@Dish Network - (USA)

Hello! This is Dan Busa with DISH Network, I would like to address this as there are many of misconceptions when it comes to weather and satellite signal. If your dish is pointed correctly and all of your connections are good the signal should not be interrupted by a light storm. Generally speaking if you have an inch or two of snow and relatively good signal strength you won't even notice a hiccup in service. I live in Denver and we get some decent snow now and then, however, in the last three years weather has caused to brief outages. So basically the reception is prone to weather but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence. Hope this information helps!!!

Daniel Busa
DISH Network Customer Service

The Dish and the Weather

AUTHOR: John A - (United States of America)

We have lived in a number of different locations in Florida and have always experienced "trying to find signal" during the most intense part of a thunder storm. We assumed through logic that there are times when the weather (atmospheric) conditions effect satellite transmissions. Are we wrong to believe this? If so, our dish is broken also!

Hello! This is Dan Busa with DISH Network

AUTHOR: DanB@Dish Network - (USA)

Hello! This is Dan Busa with DISH Network, I would like to apologize for sorry for the experience you've had. I would also like to clear up someitems in your post; DISH Network has no control over your signal strength. Wecontrol the feed not the signal strength you receive. The transponders are simply the frequency the signal comes in on nothardware.What you were most likely running into is a misaligned dish or poor connection.We dopride ourselves on our customer service, I apologize that we didn't meet our standards on this occasion.

Daniel Busa