Complaint Review: Dishnet

dishnet.com Internet United States of America

Dishnet ILLEGAL INSTALLATION / DAMAGED PRIOR HOUSE WIRING Internet

*Author of original report: Installation

*Consumer Comment: Rental agreement

*Consumer Comment: What did the lease say?

*Author of original report: Rebutable

*General Comment: You arent going to like the answer to this

We had our home temporaily rented out for one year.  The renters had dishnet installed without our permission.  When they left, they left two dishnet things on our roof.

We called dishnet and they refused to accept any responsibility for the illegal installation.  They said the client signs a doc stating they have the right to have it installed. We asked for a copy of that and dishnet refused.  Also when they installed their junk on our roof, they installed two dishes (looks pretty ugly).  They also caused damaged to internal wiring and we had to pay our current cable provider to rewire the inside of the house.

Don't get dishnet.  People like these don't need your business.  It shouldn't need us to file legal matter to get them to remove their dishes, but they won't bug.  They sure will deliver but that's the end of it.  They are nasty and rude and all about the sell.  Nothing matters after that.  I think their installation agreement should read whether or not the person requesting service is the home owner, therefore, service would need a signed approval from the home owner, with a copy of that sent to the home owner.

I will go without cable than to order dishnet.  They owe me for having to hire someone to remove their two dishes.  I'm an old lady and cannot remove this myself, nor should I have had.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2009 01:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dishnet/internet/Dishnet-ILLEGAL-INSTALLATION-DAMAGED-PRIOR-HOUSE-WIRING-Internet-546636. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dishnet

Installation

AUTHOR: VictorVic - (United States of America)

Hey, I don't care what kind of cable service someone has, whether their a home owner or a renter....the situation here is that installing the dishnet and then the cabling from outside, drilling holes to the inside, running the cable all over the garage, then holes into the home adding outlets etc., someone cannot convenience me that it's legal.  Also, some Federal laws are supercided by state law.  If I had a property management, I'm certain they are aware of the laws/regulations for the state and if they sided with me that the renters did not have the authority or what have you, dishnet is responsible to a degree for the damages of drilling holes and for not one dish but two.  In the mist of that they damaged the prior cabling and we had to pay out to have repairs done.  Again, no one will convenience me that dishnet was within their legal rights to do whatever and however they wanted during the installation and not accept some reasonsibility for their crappy lazy work.  Ignoring my simply requests to remove the dishnet should have been met with a yes.  I was not asking for repairs.  That is meeting them more than half way and I couldn't get through to anyone and look in the web, it's difficult to find a phone number to call without them asking for an account number, which obviously I don't have.  But I'll tell you, those renters always had a lot of bounce checks, so I'm certain that when they moved that they put the account in someone elses name and I gave all the names of the individual (whether they were on the lease or not...) and gave it to dish and their new address.  It's not worth the headache to try and sue someone when you know they don't have a pot to pee in.

Okay, I"m done with these comments.  Thanks for the replies. God Bless

Rental agreement

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

According to the rule, antennas cannot be prohibited in a rental agreement as long as the installation will not cause permanent damage to the property.   Here's the pertinent section of the FCC's FAQ on OTARD (gotta love that acronym!) :

Q: Are there restrictions that may be placed on residents of rental property?

A: Yes. A restriction necessary to prevent damage to leased property may be reasonable. For example, tenants could be prohibited from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof. However, a restriction designed to prevent ordinary wear and tear (e.g., marks, scratches, and minor damage to carpets, walls and draperies) would likely not be reasonable provided the antenna is installed wholly within the antenna user's own exclusive use area. In addition, rental property is subject to the same protection and exceptions to the rule as owned property. Thus, a landlord may impose other types of restrictions that do not impair installation, maintenance or use under the rule. The landlord may also impose restrictions necessary for safety or historic preservation.

What did the lease say?

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

What did the lease say?  Did it say the tenant could not, or authorize anyone to, attach anything to the exterior of the building without permission.  If not, it wasn't an illegal installation on your tenants part.

BUT, I would legally go after Dishnet first and the tenant second.  Dishnet took the word of a random person and didn't make sure that person was authorized to say yes, drill holes in the roof, or bricks.

Rebutable

AUTHOR: VictorVic - (United States of America)

We can prohibit if it was noted and signed in the rental agreement. (I also find it hard to believe your quote...you're saying it's legal for them to authorize dishnet to "DRILL" holes in my HOUSE! I doubt that...

Yes, they did not get their deposit back because they did over $9000 worth of damages to a newly decorated interior.  No since in sueing.  Not into sueing, plus wouldn't get anything from people who constantly have bounce checks.  Yeah, poor renters...property management fault.  Is it worth having property managers....nope, sure isn't.  They just take a cut...

#5 General Comment

You arent going to like the answer to this

AUTHOR: IamGood - (USA)

Sorry, federal Law prohibits a land lord from prohibiting a tenant from installing a direct broadcast satellites  to their rented abode.  Here is the rule.

"In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted rules for Over-the-Air-Reception Devices (OTARD rules). The OTARD rules prohibit restrictions on a property owner or tenants right to install, maintain, or use an antenna to receive video programming from direct broadcast satellites (DBS), broadband radio services (formerly referred to as multichannel multipoint distribution services or MMDS), and television broadcast stations (TVBS). However, there are exceptions to the OTARD rules, including provisions for safety and preservation of historic areas."

Sorry, the only thing you may do, is to get ahold of the tenant, and charge them for having the dish removed.

did you return their deposit?  If not use the deposit to compensate for them failing to remove the dish.  The tenant should have taken the dish with them.