Complaint Review: Diverse Financial

• Submitted: Tue, June 26, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, September 30, 2012

• Reported By: MCM — Anahiem California United States of America
Diverse Financial
100 Bayview Cir. suite 330, Newport Beack Newport Beach, California United States of America

Diverse Financial Bruce Whittaker BAIT and SWICH Newport Beach, California

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: False Promises

*General Comment: commission commission commission

*Author of original report: Bait and Swich

*Author of original report: Bait and Swich

Diverse financial placed an ad on craigslist for a job in which the title stated $3000 sign on bonus! Salary plus commission. I was contacted by Annie Aust to schedule an interview. I arrived the day of the interview to find 5 other applicants waiting to be interviewed. Once we all completed the application we were led to a room to hear a presentation from Bruce Whittaker (Vice President). Throughout the presentation none of us were asked much about ourselves or our experience. We finally came to the point where he then told us we would need to pay for our own insurance certification ($200-300) and the company would re pay us. I proceeded to look over the documents given to us and there was no mention of salary or bonus of $3000. There was some compensation which was commission over draw. The total monthly draw was $250 the first two weeks and $500 the following two Weeks and $1000 per month after that. [continued below]....
..... I almost forgot they did offer a $25 gas card also.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2012 03:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Diverse-Financial/Newport-Beach-California-92660/Diverse-Financial-Bruce-Whittaker-BAIT-and-SWICH-Newport-Beach-California-903243. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Diverse Financial

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

False Promises

AUTHOR: The Truth - ()

Dear Readers considering employment with Diverse Financial:

I worked with Diverse financial for a total of 6 months as a financial advisor. During the six months I was at diverse financial, I saw several dozen advisors come and go. Most did not last one month. The reasons why agents find this position impossible at which to be successful include many problems. Firstly, let me confirm that the "bait and switch" is typical of the tactics used by Diverse Financial management. When I first started, I was promised many things, including expense allowances, leads, appointment setting support, $250 per week, and a salary that was supposed to begin after 3 months. None of these things came to fruition. Leads provided by the company were of very low quality. The leads were six months old when I first got them and 1 year old when I left. During the entire time I was there, managemtn never once invested in new leads and they do not have any agreements with any lead generating services. Expense allowances were restricted to a $25/ wk gas card, which was even prone to frequent shutdowns by president Roy Dekel. The $250 per week is also very misleading. Diverse FInancial offers this $250/wk as a "draw against future commissions," and is expected to be paid back after booking business. It is technically considered a loan, for which they charge a 12% annual interest rate. (They obviously did not explain this to me. I was only able to find out by reading the fine print.) Needless to say, the I was never actually given a salary either. In Hindsight, it was clear that they simple told a lot of lies or half-truths in order to keep me working for free while I sold products to my family and friends.

The main marketing strategy of Diverse Financial is to advertise at the Newport Beach Hyatt Regency Jazz Festival, where the management of Diverse Financial continue to get drink excessively every night. During one client meeting I obtained at these events, my manager was so drunk that we could not write, perform simple arithmatic, or speak clearly. Most of the leads generated from these concerts are completely useless. Many of the people do not live in Orange County, and even fewer of them have the necessary resources to recieve any usefull benefit from a financial advisory service (they have no money). Instead, in order to produce, you will have to market services to your friends and family. I had secured the paperwork and funding for $70,000 worth of investments, $50,000 of which was coming from my parents. Roy Dekel still refused to pay for BUSINESS CARDS. The next day, I began to look for a new job.

In addition, the entire office is completely unorganized. Management has no direction when it comes to creating a program at which financial advisors can be successful. Processes are left unfinished, paperwork is confusing, and management is frequently confused about their own product offerings. Furthermore, the president demands that every process be approved by him before being completed. This leads to bogged down sales processes and an extreme lack of efficiency. He will also frequently reject very minor expenses (such as business cards) in order to save money.

Bottom line, Unless you already have a book of business to work with, there is no money to be made here. If you already have a book of business, you are most likely better off staying where you are. I am writing this posting in order to shed light on the day to day business operations so that you can pass on an employment opportunity with this company. This will save you many months of unpaid headaches.

#2 General Comment

commission commission commission

AUTHOR: Insurance4sale - (United States of America)

Anonymous author. I just want to start out by saying that I am in no way affiliated with this company. I do not know the validity of your complaints, other than my own personal experience working in the industry for 8 years.

First I would like to say that it is obvious that you haven't been in the insurance industry before, since you are painfully unfamiliar with how commissioned insurance positions work. So let me enlighten you.

I work strictly on a commission bases. If i don't sell it, I don't make it. In fact it is very rare for a company to offer any kind of draw or gas without a solid book of business or applications ready to process with the company. The fact that the company offers anything to a person without experience or a sales record is actually what I found most shocking about your article. Believe me most of the companies that I have come to know in the LA area do not offer anything, other than an opportunity, paperwork, and office support (if that!, but that's a whole new post).

Maybe you should try a different industry that pays salary or hourly, cause if you are looking for a guarantee this is the wrong industry for you. Good luck on your next venture. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Bait and Swich

AUTHOR: MCM - (United States of America)

Diverse financial placed an ad on craigslist for a job in which the title stated $3000 sign on bonus! Salary plus commission. I was contacted by Annie Aust to schedule an interview. I arrived the day of the interview to find 5 other applicants waiting to be interviewed. Once we all completed the application we were led to a room to hear a presentation from Bruce Whittaker (Vice President). Throughout the presentation none of us were asked much about ourselves or our experience. We finally came to the point where he then told us we would need to pay for our own insurance certification ($200-300) and the company would re pay us. I proceeded to look over the documents given to us and there was no mention of salary or bonus of $3000. There was some compensation which was commission over draw. The total monthly draw was $250 the first two weeks and $500 the following two Weeks and $1000 per month after that. I almost forgot they did offer a $25 gas card also. After the presentation from Mr. Whittaker  the president came in to talk to us. At this point i was frustrated that there was no mention of a salary or $3000 bonus as mentioned in the ad on Craigslist. The president of Diverse Financial said why would we give you an bonus of $3000?? I told him that is what the add said. Then he continued to say we do not invest in people like that. you don't even have you insurance license. At this point i walked out! This whole add with Diverse Financial was a complete Bait and Switch. You will come to this interview thinking there is a salary and sign on bonus. There is no interview only a presentation and no salary or bonus only an investment of $300-$500 to pay for your own insurance certification. If this is how they treat potential employees i can imagine how bad a customer will be misinformed. Do not respond to this ad unless you want to pay for your own certification and be paid no more than $1000 a month while learning.

Bait and Swich

AUTHOR: MCM - (United States of America)