meat

• Updated: Wed, October 20, 2010

• Reported By: cee — smalltown Pennsylvania USA
Diversified Collections INC
Canyon Parkway Livermore, California United States of America

Diversified Collections INC Diversified Collections...called @ work, says I owe "a bill" and won't tell me what it is! Livermore, California

*Consumer Comment: Do not give them any imformation

It started like this: I got a memo from the secretary at work to call this # about "business."  I called "Serena Baylor" and she told me that I owe a debt.  I asked her what it was; she said I first have to tell her my complete social security #.  I tell her that I won't do that--that's crazy, these days--and she then wants the # on the account on the "letter."  I tell her I never got a letter; then she says (again) that she'll need my social security #.

I state that if I owe something, I need to know what it is.  Well, she says, she can ONLY give me that info if I give her the social.  I refused to do that, and told her to NOT call me at work.  I asked for her manager--she gave me his #, which led to a voicemail, which states to list your home phone #, your work #, your cell #, and your social security #--and to say everything twice.  I tell him (on the vm) my name, my home phone, and that's it--asking him to call me to tell me what the debt is.

I didn't get a call back.

My SO and I both called numerous times after that.  They absolutely will not budge. Therefore, I supposedly owe a debt, origin/amount unknown, and am supposed to pay it, but won't/can't bc I don't know how much/to whom.

Here's the KICKER:  I looked them up online (before this website came up).  I notice they mostly collect student loans and taxes--NEITHER of which I am in arrears.

I called the Federal Trade Commission, who advised me to send a certified, return-receipt requested letter demanding the original debt letter AND to cease phone communications with me.  I promptly did that, but after seeing on this site how these scumbags are, I'm guessing I will not get a return receipt OR a debt letter.

I checked my online credit on all 3 reporting companies.  All is in good standing at this point, as it has been for yrs.

Still, I am more than a bit nervous about what could be going on here.  What do I (allegedly) owe?  Or, what are they saying that i owe?  My identity MAY have been stolen (3 or so yrs ago, out of a computer data base on the West Coast)--did someone use my # to get a loan?  If they did, wouldn't that be on my credit report (which is attached to that social #)?  Did my lowlife vindictive ex-husband use my social (after the divorce, 10 yrs ago) to obtain student loans on my name/number?  IF he did, though, wouldn't THAT have shown up on my credit report?  Am I worrying for nothing?

SCUMBAG DCI!  Here I am, paying all my bills, doing my best to stay on top of financial things, just SO that I can have good credit AND not get dunning calls/letters and not worry...and there they go botching it up with a stupid phone call to my job.

But tell me this:  some of you talk about taking them to court if they don't follow the letter of the law.  So, if I don't get a return receipt, debt letter, or any other response....can I legally pursue this?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/19/2010 02:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Diversified-Collections-INC/Livermore-California-/Diversified-Collections-INC-Diversified-Collectionscalled-work-says-I-owe-a-bill-652917. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Diversified Collections INC

Do not give them any imformation

AUTHOR: Steph - (USA)

If the caller is refusing to send you something in writing saying you owe this debt its likely to be a scam. Do not give them any imformation such as SS# or account #s  they will probably steal your identity and wipe out your bank accounts.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC