Complaint Review: Doba.com

• Submitted: Fri, September 05, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, September 05, 2008

• Reported By:Bethlehem Pennsylvania
1530 North Technology Way Orem, Utah U.S.A.

Doba.com Membership Fraud Orem Utah

I came across Doba while researching dropshippers for my on-line business. Initially, they looked like they offered a broad selection of products.

I signed up for a free 7 day membership. I then began receiving phone calls from them at least 4 times per day pressuring me to spend $1000 for a membership. I told them that I needed time to evaluate their offerings and how it would fit it to my company's marketing plan. The salespeople just interrupted me and kept talking about how many site visitors I would receive because of their products. I explained that unless the site visitors actually bought something from me that allowed me to make a profit and cover my overhead, their argument was hollow. Also, I sampled about 10 of their items to see what the retail prices were. Turns out that in most cases, the markup was minimal and would not allow enough profit to cover any overhead, like marketing. By the way, my overhead is minimal.

I decided not to pursue them as a supplier. A couple of weeks later I got my credit card statement in and found they charged me $50. I sent an email asking them to remove the charge, as I signed up for only a free 7 day membership. Here is what I got back:

Thank you for contacting us.

You must call our Customer Service at the number below in order to cancel your account
We are unable to cancel it by email or chat.

Per our policies, we do not offer refunds on monthly or annual memberships.

This policy is outlined in the Terms of Use which you have accepted when you became a member. See the Terms of Use by checking on the
following link: http://www.doba.com/site/terms.html

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
For faster processing of your request please call 1.877.321.3622 M-F 7am-7pm MST

Kay Russon
Doba Product Support

When I called to have the money refunded, I was told that I need to read their terms and conditions policy, you know, that long legal document. Also I was supposed to tell them in the 7 day trial period I was going to cancel. Thing is, I did tell the sales person I was not going to pursue this and they still charged my credit card. My bad, I should have, but most companies do not conduct business like this. None of this is called out during the sign up process. You need to refer to the terms and conditions document.

After having a heated discussion, they refunded my money, after I got a big lecture about how it is not the sales person's responsibility to cancel my account, it's mine and that legally they do not have to refund my money. Wow, what great customer service.

So here's the bottom line:
1. If someone offers you a free trial but wants a credit card, you should smell a rat.
2. Doba does not offer good customer service and crumby prices.
3. These guys are rats. They gave a bad name to legitimate drop shippers.

Margaret s
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2008 06:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dobacom/Orem-Utah-84097/Dobacom-Membership-Fraud-Orem-Utah-369988. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Doba.com