Complaint Review: Dollar Car Rental

• Updated: Thu, September 27, 2012

• Reported By: Enuff — Orlando Florida United States of America
Dollar Car Rental
Orlando, Florida United States of America

Dollar Car Rental Dollar Rent a Car Ripped me off with Toll Charges Orlando, Florida

*General Comment: Common sense, heck of a thing for you to say to me!

*Consumer Comment: Who Was Driving?

*Author of original report: Why should I be refunded...

*General Comment: Why should Dollar refund anything?

My account was debited last week for $80. (9/10/2012)

I called and spoke to a young adult named London. I explained that I rented a vehicle Aug 2 - 6th, he verified that I was charged for 3 tolls.

I explained that every time I have rented from Dollar Car Rental I get charged, and to check the history and he will see. And that
Dollar was always good about refunding my money, because it doesn't make sense If I hit 6 tolls one way, but 3 of them do not read, or the toll station is not operating properly I get charged.

London ask did I register the car with epass, I stated that Epass told me that I cannot register my epass with a rental, and that as long as I have money on the epass account I would be good. London tells me that's not true, and he does not know what else to tell me. I said no, check my rental history, since Jan I have rented 6 times, and I'm always getting charged, then he says well he guess he can refund me $50. I said no, why not my whole $80, I didn't do anything wrong, he interrupts me and says, "Technical I don't have to refund you anything" it's him being whatever (nice).(his exact words) I could not believe this! (If the conversation was recorded please listen to it Dollar Rental).

I stopped him and asked for his name, and told him I would contact epass and Dollar Rental, and the BBB. Which they have not responded to the BBB.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2012 06:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Car-Rental/Orlando-Florida-/Dollar-Car-Rental-Dollar-Rent-a-Car-Ripped-me-off-with-Toll-Charges-Orlando-Florida-946799. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Car Rental

#1 General Comment

Common sense, heck of a thing for you to say to me!

AUTHOR: CaseyW - (United States of America)

Having common sense is why I am calling out your report as bogus.  I have common sense enough to know that when I rent a car, or drive my own car, I am responsible for making sure the tolls are paid.  I was a business traveler in the past and travelled in Orlando and Tampa, and I knew I was responsible for the tolls on the roads.  I once had to run an unattended toll booth when I didnt have change getting on to the Suncoast Parkway and I had to pay it!

You were the one driving the car on the toll roads and had your transponder not register, thereby committing a violation.  The only way Dollar would know of these occurrences is via getting tickets for the violations!  If they refunded them in the past, it was a courtesy to you.  However, like any courtesy, someone who is abusing it will no longer get said courtesy.

Dollar isnt responsible for the tolls, YOU ARE!  You drove on the toll roads, and your transponders didnt register with the tolling system, why should Dollar pay for the tickets without passing the expense on to you?

Who Was Driving?

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

YOU were the driver.  YOU used the toll roads.  YOU are responsible for the tolls.  The transponders, nor their receivers are not as problem ridden as you say.  Go ahead and contact the BBB.  I'm sure the news cameras will be there when the BBB Police Swat Team breaks down the door.

Why should I be refunded...

AUTHOR: Not So Lucky - (United States of America)

1. I have yet to see one photo ticket from Dollar/Epass.

2. I previously stated that this has happen several times before, and Dolllar would refund my money.

Once I showed proof that money is on my Epass Account.

3. Use common sense, and don't come out the box on the Defense!

Best Regards,

#4 General Comment

Why should Dollar refund anything?

AUTHOR: CaseyW - (United States of America)

Why should Dollar refund anything to you?  They are billing you for the tolls because they will get a ticket for them as the plate holder for the car.  No matter why it is happening, the fault of the Epass or the pass reader, or whatever, the fact is you are effectively running the toll booths without paying.

That isnt Dollars fault; it is the fault of your Epass or the operator of the road.  Why should Dollar not charge you for a ticket they are getting?

Dollar isnt just charging you arbitrarily; they are getting tickets for this on the tag of a car they own.  If it is a problem with your Epass that is causing it not to read, you should get it fixed.  If it is a problem with their readers at the booths, then you should take it up with them, not demand that Dollar refund you for tolls.