Complaint Review: Dollar General

• Submitted: Sat, February 25, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, June 17, 2012

• Reported By: Retta — Lawrenceville Georgia United States of America
Dollar General
Lawrenceville Highway or Highway 29 Lawrenceville, Georgia United States of America

Dollar General Don't purchase any heaters!!! Lawrenceville, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Heater & Manager Complaint

*UPDATE Employee: comical heater complaint

*Author of original report: You are so WRONG

*UPDATE Employee: Heater complaint

I purchased a small room heater as our furnace went out in the middle of January.  I plugged it in and it worked for about 2 minutes.   It wouldn't heat the room.   I put it back into the box exactly as it was packaged.   I had the receipt from when I purchased the heater.   This heater cost me $25.00.   When I purchased the heater, the clerk showed me a "policy" about returning heaters.   So I asked if there was problems with these heaters if they had to have "policies about returning heaters".  She assured me there wasn't.   After so many weeks of no heat, my husband took the heater and the receipt back to the Dollar General.   The person there called the manager and was told they would not accept the heater back.   We are out $25.00 for nothing.   Pitiful.   We will not be back to spend out money our money at Dollar General.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2012 05:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-General/Lawrenceville-Georgia-30044/Dollar-General-Dont-purchase-any-heaters-Lawrenceville-Georgia-844653. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar General

Heater & Manager Complaint

AUTHOR: Erelas - ()

One of my family members is an employee of the local Dollar General.  The "manager" who responded above regarding the heater complaint is representative of the entire companys attitude.

My family member, again, a Dollar General employee themself, bought a small heater from their work and brought it home after our central air died.  Seemed convenient enough, at the time, they were already at the place of business, so why not bring a heater from there home.

The heater was removed from it's packaging, plugged in, and minutes after turning on, then refused to operate.  It simply ceased funtioning and would not turn on again.  Remember, please, that this is an employee of the company that purchased their product for the household.  Since the store was now closed, the item was returnd in it's box the very next day.  Dollar General would not accept it for a refund, but did accept it for a replacement.  The new heater came home and the exact same situation unfolded, after taking it out of the packaging and plugging it in, it ceased to function.  Now, with two dud heaters, we decided it was useless to continue this silliness.  When the second non-functioning heater was returned to Dollar General, they wouldn't even take it back for a refund from their own employee.

I would be delighted to hear from the manager who made the blanket statements about the first complainant as being a person only interested in scamming the store.

comical heater complaint

AUTHOR: dee - (United States of America)

Oh honey, your story is so full of holes its comical. First of all if your heater wasn't working 2 minutes after you got it home you would of returned it immediately, not a few weeks later. Mathematically nothing you said adds up. 1. You bought a so called faulty heater. 2. You then bought another one from another store. 3. Wasted gas, time and energy. 4. Tried to return it FEW weeks later stating it doesn't work, Really!

Seriously do you even buy that story? If it wasn't working as you stated and the weather was still cold you would ( any would ) of went right back and returned it and got another one. you just probably needed the $25 for something else. You even stated you read the policy before you bought it. And I'm sure you have returned a multitude of items at other stores or you wouldn't of written something negative about DG.

You are more so mad at the fact that you were caught not that you ( had ) a faulty heater. And yes we DO stand behind our product's just as much if not more then other stores. Its ashame you would go as far as to complain about something YOU in fact did. And in fact it doesn't matter if the customer is right or wrong we DO everything to satisfy our customers , but you are not and were not right and to try to save face you would rather slam others for your own self gratification, how sad... have a evening

You are so WRONG

AUTHOR: Retta - (United States of America)

You don't know me at all.  We did everything that your written policy states.   If you will note when we returned the heater -- it was still cold -- in February.   We even went to Walmart and bought another heater because we had to have some heat.    Your company WILL NOT stand behind its products.   It is a sad day when we spend this money to just loose it to a company that will not honor its own policies.   You are calling us liars.   We don't lie.   We would have even accepted story credit and got some needed product but the manager wouldn't even do that.   We had the receipt, put the heater completely back into the box, did everything we were supposed to.   It didn't work, plain and simple.  Really?  Need to go back to the old days when the customer is always right not the customer is a jerk.

Heater complaint

AUTHOR: dee - (United States of America)

I'll start out by saying, I'm a Dollar General store manager. about the heater you tried to return, yes there are notices posted stating if the heater is open we will only exchange it for the same heater, if not open and you have the receipt you can receive a refund. This is to protect the company from scammers like yourself. We ALL know what people like you do. You buy a heater when its cold then when it starts to warm up you insist on returning the used heater. You people start to yell and bring attention to yourself claiming it doesn't work, almost burnt my house down, it smokes or smells funny, we've heard all the excuses. We operate a retail company not a rental company. Dollar General bends over backwards for its customers, we employees watch people like you try (and most of the time succeed) in screwing the company out of money you owe.and to make matters worse you try to embarrass or humiliate the employee for your own sick personal gain. You need to go back to that store and apologize to that employee for being nothing more than a total jerk. ............. Enjoy you heater...........