Complaint Review: Dollar Rent A Car St. Louis Airport

• Updated: Mon, October 29, 2012

• Reported By: dollarstlsux — Brentwood Missouri United States of America
Dollar Rent A Car St. Louis Airport
4358 Cypress Road Internet United States of America

Dollar Rent A Car St. Louis Airport Fraudulent Additional Driver Charge, Internet

*Consumer Comment: PLEASE Put This Into Contest!

I had to put my car in the shop for a week so I reserved a car online through Dollar.  I wanted to be sure the car was saved for me so I paid the fees and took the keys into my possession at noon on Sunday, 10/21/12.  It was a AA man with glasses that checked me out at the counter.  Since I did not have someone to drive my personal car, I left the rental car on their lot.  As I was leaving (in my personal car), this sales lady from the counter told me that I needed to move the rental car into the visitor parking spot since it's "checked out".  No problem, so I walked over to their Corolla, drove, and parked it.  Later that day, I returned with both my daughters, one came with me in the rental and the other drove my personal car.

Then on Sunday, 10/28/12, I return the car and go to drop the keys off at the counter.  My bill went from $242 to $318!!!  The same lady who chased me down last Sunday was the one who waited on me this time.  She tells me that there was another driver who drove the car off that lot that day so they had to charge $10 x 7 days! I was dumbfound!!!  So I ask to speak to a manager and of course, they don't work on the weekends but one will be in at 9 am on Monday.  The lady tells me that it's the managers who determine when someone else drives the car off the lot based on video footage.

So I called this morning and spoke to a "Jackie", who tells me that her employee (the guy) witnessed someone else driving the car off the lot but she'll review the tape again. So at 10:30, she calls and says that it was a different person that drove the car off the lot. WHAT?!?!?! I left my desk to go up there because if they're going to call me a liar, then they should do it to my face, and this video footage?  I should have every right to view it but they don't allow that, of course.  Yeah, I was FLOORED when I got up there. She refused to review the tape again, said that she doesn't need to, and when I ask her what and how she can tell it was not me, she couldn't answer that question. Amazing! Every time I ask her to recant, she changed it every time, and basically because the guy at the counter said that it wasn't me, that's what she's going by. What?!

I filed a complaint with the corporate office and ALL can do is initiate an investigation, which can take up to 14 days. Apparently, this location is PRIVATELY OWNED, licensed out so Dollar, the company cannot make them do anything if they don't want to. They're going to request to view the tapes but if the St. Ann location denies the request, that's just that.
There was another complaint that was posted on 10/1/12 about this same location and to back that complaint up, they do not do any walk through on the vehicles with you. They TELL you that it's been looked over and no damages were found, "initial here".  So you leave trusting that everything is okay the same way you think when you return the car to them but they will spring something on just to make more money and give the consumers no right to dispute their claims. I'll update if anything comes from the investigation, if nothing, then I pay $70 for some ghost driver I never got to see on video!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2012 10:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-St-Louis-Airport/internet/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-St-Louis-Airport-Fraudulent-Additional-Driver-Charge-Internet-961526. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent A Car St. Louis Airport

PLEASE Put This Into Contest!

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

I assume you used a credit card for this. You do have the right to put the extra charge into contest with the card company! As far as the other renter complaining about pre-existing damage, one would have to be a fool to "just initial here" without actually checking the car themselves! But that's not your problem. Please don't let this drop. Check with your card company and do as I suggested. Do it now because there are time limits regarding contesting a charge.