Complaint Review: Dollar Rent A Car

• Updated: Tue, February 08, 2011

• Reported By: Ron — Beulah Michigan United States of America
Dollar Rent A Car
345 W. Broadway Jackson, Wyoming United States of America

Dollar Rent A Car New Frontiers Auto Rental Debit Card use triggers Insurance Requirement, no return ride to the airport. Jackson, Wyoming

I booked my Rental Car through Bestfares.com, and got a great rate ($41/day for a Toyota Venza). The website said that individual locations may have additional rules and requirements, and I felt I had read the link provided carefully. I had inadvertantly left my credit card on my work desk, although I know the number by heart. I did, however, have a debit card with me.

When I arrived in Wyoming, I took the Dollar shuttle to the off-airport location, where the rental agent informed me that I could only use my debit card if I purchased the additional insurance @ 34.99/day - nearly doubling my rental.  I could not, she said, only provide the cc number- she needed to have the card in hand.

I actually had my insurance card with me, and my car insurance covers Rental vehicles. However, the agent said this was their policy, and pointed to a crumpled, laser printed sign tacked to the wall saying "Credit Cards Only".

I explained that I had read the Dollar policy online, stating specifically that debit card users may be subject to a credit check (I have been through this before at the Dollar in Salt Lake City), but nowhere saying that the Rental Collision insurance would be required. I asked to take the shuttle back to the airport to use one of the on-property agencies, and the lady said I could "call a cab", but that the shuttles were for customers only!

I needed the rental car for business travel, a cab back to the airport would have cost me a small fortune, and I was tired and eager to get on the road- so I grudgingly paid the insurance fee.

Dollar Rent A Car- you should know how your franchises are treating customers- it's a ripoff!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2011 04:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-A-Car/Jackson-Wyoming-83002/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-New-Frontiers-Auto-Rental-Debit-Card-use-triggers-Insurance-Requirement-692611. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent A Car