Complaint Review: Dollar Rent A Car

• Updated: Sat, January 14, 2012

• Reported By: Janice — Peabody Massachusetts United States of America
Dollar Rent A Car
7135 Gillespie St, Las Vegas, Nevada Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Dollar Rent A Car Dollar-Rent-a car cons me into paying unauthorized insurance and driver fees Las Vegas, Nevada

*Consumer Comment: Next time, try reading before you sign.

I showed up in Las Vegas (McCaron airport) at DollarRent A Car  ,and when asked about insurance I told the agent that I had already purchased insurance and had plenty of it. .He filled out paperwork and said initial here and had me sign on a very small screen where I had no opportunity to see what I was signing .  But when someone asks you if you want
insurance and you say no you have it, in good faith, you assume that they  wont  attempt to scam or con you. I signed and when I got back home I found that they had billed me approximately $206.00 for insurance when I had already said I didn't need it.

They also scammed me out of another 90.00 by never revealing that they would charge me 10.00 per day (total of 9 days) because my husband would be the driver and the credit card used was not in his name.  All they did is ask my husbamd for his license and never mentioned any additional fee. If I knew I would have used my husbands credit card since I wasnt going to drive.

I called customer service to complain and their response was, "I don't know what conversation you had with the guy at the desk but you signed it."   I consider this not only a bait and switch tactic but outright scam and con action worthy
of legal response. I will be sending a letter to the   the Better Business Bureau and attempt to contact every blog and website I can to warn other potential customers away from these tactics.

I will take every legal step I can to resolve this and make every public stand I can against this company. It's a matter of principle

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2012 07:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-A-Car/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89119/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-Dollar-Rent-a-car-cons-me-into-paying-unauthorized-insurance-and-drive-822918. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent A Car

Next time, try reading before you sign.

AUTHOR: Brian - (United States of America)

When are consumers going to learn to read contracts before they sign them?  You had every opportunity to read the what the screen said, you just chose not to do it.  I'll bet the agent was rushing you and there was others waiting and you were afraid of holding up everyone else.  This is what he was counting on.  You have to stand your ground and read what you are signing.  I do this every time I rent a car and have never been scammed into paying for insurance.  The people waiting behind me may get irritated, but the last time I checked, I was the one paying the bill.

As for legal action, you don't have a leg to stand on, your signature is on the contract.  Any verbal agreements mean nothing, unless you have a recording or unbiased witnesses.

Good luck with your matter of principle.  Next time, try reading before you sign.