Complaint Review: Dollar Rent A Car

• Updated: Thu, December 15, 2011

• Reported By: r shem — Phila Pennsylvania United States of America
Dollar Rent A Car
1722 East Rental Car Way Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Dollar Rent A Car Dollar Rent A Car - Sky Harbor Car Rental **Rental Insurance Rip Off ** Phoenix, Arizona

I  have rented a car from Dollar Rent A Car - Sky Harbor Car Rental - Phoenix Airport and told the customer service rep I do not want the "ROADSAFE @ $5.99 per day"(Insurance) and "Lbw1 @ $24.99 per day"(Loss Damage Waiver) because my card that I was using will cover me. The customer service rep acknowledged my needs and said:

Rep - "Okay, I will not add them to the bill. Please tap I agree to the message on the screen, it talk about the 'UNDER AGE 25'.
Me - "Okay, to confirm that it talks about the under 24 and that is it, correct?"
Rep - "Correct. (next I Agree screen) ... This one is talking about agreeing to deny the road safe insurance."
Me - "So, by selecting I agree.. agrees to me denying the insurance"
Rep - "Correct. (Next I Agree screen) ... This one is talking about agreeing to deny the loss damage waiver"
Me - "Again, by selecting I agree...agrees me to denying the loss damage waiver"
Rep- "Correct. Ok your total will be $241.30 for 4 days."
Me - "Wow..really? What did I pay for when I reserved this car?"
Rep - "You pay just to reserve the car and the car, there is a fee because your are under 24"
Me "Jeez, ok really that much for just the under age?..."
Rep - "yes"

I pay for the car, and I rush out because I needed to check in to my hotel. After, arriving at my hotel I wanted to check the receipt (the rep folded the receipt up in the folder type pamphlet so I could see it clearly when I left) and what do I see.....yep charges for:

Lbw1                     4 dy@24.99          $99.96
ROADSAFE         4 dy@5.99            $23.96

AGE24                  4 dy@15.00         $60.00

After, my trip I called the Dollar Customer Assistance @  1-800-800-5252 and filed for a dispute from the false information the customer server rep supplied me with they said I would get a call/e-mail in 72 hours.

Finally, after waiting 8 business days I get an email ( with attachment pictures of the I Agree screens with my signature at the bottom ) :

Mr. ******, Thank you for contacting Dollar Rent a Car regarding your rental in Phoenix. Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding regarding the purchase of the Loss Damage Waiver and Roadsafe on your rental. A review of our records indicates you viewed and accepted the optional coverage and the related charges using the electronic signature pad (touch screen) at the counter. I have copied the screens you viewed and accepted below.

Based on the above information and the fact that you had the benefit of the protection for the rental period the local charges are correct. If you have any questions regarding your case please feel free to reply to this email. Again, I thank you for contacting Dollar.

Regards,
Josh Wells
Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc.
International Tour Department
Phone: 918-280-7136
Fax: 918-669-2799
Email: josh.wells@dtag.com

Thank you dollar rental for showing me to never trust a human being. Also, to do my homework on car rental companies. I will never be renting a car from the crappy, false informing company again. I hope to help future renters, not get caught up in the BS.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/15/2011 04:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-A-Car/Phoenix-Arizona-85034/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-Dollar-Rent-A-Car-Sky-Harbor-Car-Rental-Rental-Insurance-Rip-Off--810012. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent A Car