Complaint Review: Dollar Rent a Car

• Updated: Wed, October 24, 2012

• Reported By: t see — New York United States of America
Dollar Rent a Car
nationwide Internet United States of America

Dollar Rent a Car also Thrifty rent a car Damages to vehicle prior to renting - Upon return charging for damages that already existed SCAM - SCAM, Internet

*Consumer Comment: I Knew We Were Coming To This

*Author of original report: say la vie

*Consumer Comment: Still Back To the Same Point

*Author of original report: Say still a Rip Off

*Consumer Comment: Did You Walk Around With The Representative????

TAMPA, FLORIDA -- Rented a car 10/12 - from Tampa airport - walked around the vehicle and saw damage to the lower front spoiler - roof dent - no big deal - must have been reported thinking they wouldn't rent me a car without them inspecting the car and noting the problems. Left with the vehicle and returned 4 days later - arrive at the airport in the A.M. - inspector upon return said there's damage to the lower spoiler 'yes it was there and I informed her there was also damage to the roof (dent) and door" (door had a very small see through sticker attached) which she didn't notice.

She asked me to fill out a form stating I didn't damage the vehicle which I filled out (minding 13,000 miles on vehicle). We'll today got a phone call from a Representative 10/19/12 - stating I owe them for damages above. I didn't take out extra insurance - so they want it from me. I hope they have video of me walking around the vehicle and noting damage, (before leaving with the rental) besides a photo I took of vehicle which shows the damage. In any-event I have read numerous posts from others on other WEB sights claiming the same SCAM by their company Dollar Rent A Car.

I didn't pay for the extra insurance, if I paid for extra insurance through them I'm sure I would have never heard a word...So they could pass it on to someone else.

I just received the estimate from them $1,691.44 - If I did it would except it - but the damage was there - their claims department said "we would never rent a vehicle like that" well you did to me STOP lying!  Case in point - buy the Extra insurance - will never rent a car from Dollar/Thrifty - enough said - Thank you

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/23/2012 03:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-a-Car/internet/Dollar-Rent-a-Car-also-Thrifty-rent-a-car-Damages-to-vehicle-prior-to-renting-Upon-retur-958975. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent a Car

I Knew We Were Coming To This

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

Whenever the OP knows they cannot offer an intelligent response to a rebuttle, the standard old dodge is "you must work for them".

When you sign a contract the transaction is governed by that contract. When you sign a contract agreeing there's no damage at pick up, the contract with your signature on it does not allow you to go back and suddenly claim there indeed was damage at pick up! I do believe there was pre-existing damage on your car. However, you failed to handle that aspect of the contract provisions correctly to protect yourself.

I would be very interested to see how you are going to convince a judge the contract is faulty. I am sure all your years of law school and experience have enabled to to spot the contractual defects within minutes. When you get that contract quashed and enable recovery for all renters under that contract, you let me know. I will fly my MU-2 personally to pick you up so you can address our next Bar Association educational session!

say la vie

AUTHOR: t see - (United States of America)

Ms.

Your wrong -  wish I could say different - u work for the company - I will follow up and answer  all complaints - regarding  the rental vehicle - moreover will test rental contracts as they are.

Still Back To the Same Point

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

All the diatribe about poor service, poor customer service skills, the CEO etc is nothing more than minutia...it doesn't matter and has ZERO bearing on the issue at hand.  You were spending YOUR MONEY.  You care more about YOUR MONEY and preserving it than they do.  In the final analysis, you blew it!  YOU failed to have their representative note on the contract pre-existing damage and then YOU signed the contract AGREEING to there being NO damage!  There's no way around that.  What you can do is try to dispute it with your credit card company and if that doesn't work you can fight them in small claims court.  However in both cases all they need to do is bring out that contract which shows you agreed to there being no damage when you picked up the car.  End result is you have no case based on the paper trail.

I rent alot of cars and in EVERY case I do not sign the contract until and unless me and the representative inspect the car.  Whatever way he/she starts walking, I go the opposite way and when we meet I tell him/her my findings and he or she tells me theirs.  If they give me the rush I still work at my own pace and if they don't like it, I'll go elsewhere.

Should they have treated you like gold?  Absolutely.  YOU are the most important part of the equation...YOU are the customer and without customers there's no need for them.  On the other hand, you must take steps to protect yourself and your money by inspecting the car AND having them list pre-existing damage on the contract and you reading the contract BEFORE you sign it.

I'm not the enemy here...but I'll say it again, you blew it but you can learn from this and never do it again!

Say still a Rip Off

AUTHOR: t see - (United States of America)

I wish you did work for them - you need insight, into  policies (yours), practices and over all procedures for employees.
LOL - You walk in - stand in line - waiting 45 minutes (on-line) - they print paperwork out (from the prior rentor),  askin questions Name- address- phone - insurance "yes/No" this that and the other thing regarding it - credit card - license - upgrade - gas - return date & time - what type of vehicle, want a up grade vehicle for this $, etc?  Well ask what the problem is in 5 to 8 minutes -Did you tell the representative about the pre-existing damage BEFORE you signed the contract?  Did you read the contract BEFORE you signed it?  If there is no notation on the contract of pre-existing damage, then YOUR signature said YOU AGREED to there being no pre-existing damage!  Yes it is a big deal.
 YOU signed the contract indicating YOU AGREED there was no pre-existing damage.  You can't have it noted on the contract- haven't even seen the vehcile (Car/Truck/SUV, etc). I didn't even know what vehicle I was assigned to, let alone make, model, year -  other than midsize and/or a space number..... Another question I have, why? Would anyone put a see through sticker on the smallest dent by the key lock u can't read without glasses and even with them, hard to see/or read. Last but not least  New CEO is needed as far as I see.  I will address this in NY & Florida.  I will continue (freedom of speech) when i'm wronged - vehicle was damaged by prior rental or an employee - I wasn't even helped by an employee sitting in a thrifty box attached to a Dollar box (one in the same as I see now dba) on the 4th floor of Tampa Airport - walked up to Dollar window, no one there  - guy sitting in Thrifty  - nothing said - waited 1 minute and finally asked  him (thrifty) is anyone in Dollar - he said let me have your receipt - handed me keys and sat back down - love it - need better employees DOLLAR/THRIFTY
Moreover - will never rent from anyone dba Dollar/Thrifty!

Did You Walk Around With The Representative????

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

You said you walked around the car, noticed pre-existing damage and your assessment was "no big deal".  Did you walk around the car with the representative?  Did you see the representative mark down the damage areas on the contract?  Did you tell the representative about the pre-existing damage BEFORE you signed the contract?  Did you read the contract BEFORE you signed it?  If there is no notation on the contract of pre-existing damage, then YOUR signature said YOU AGREED to there being no pre-existing damage!  Yes it is a big deal.

Sorry, there's NO SCAM here.  As per you, there was pre-existing damage on the car.  YOU failed to have it noted as such on the contract.  YOU signed the contract indicating YOU AGREED there was no pre-existing damage.  You brought the car back, they saw the damage, checked the contract in which YOU AGREED there was no damage.  You are on the hook.

No, I don't work for them.

modest