Complaint Review: Dollar Thrifty Calgary Airport (YYC)

• Submitted: Wed, July 17, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, July 17, 2013

• Reported By: anonymous — Denver Colorado
Dollar Thrifty Calgary Airport (YYC)
2000 Airport Road Northeast, Calgary, AB T2E 6Z8 Calgary, Alberta Canada

Dollar Thrifty Calgary Airport (YYC) Wrongly charged at rental location and threatened by Damage Recovery Agent from Mississauga Ontario

I rented a car from Calgary airport (YYC) from 24 May 2013 to 30 May 2013 with the Dollar Thrifty rental at the Calgary, AB airport 2000 Airport Road Northeast Calgary, AB T2E 6Z8.

When I left with the vehicle, there was a chip in the windshield which I did not report initially, so an accident report was filled out when I returned the vehicle.  I walked around the vehicle with the representative, fully inspecting the entire vehicle for further damage.  The only thing we found was the rock chip damage to the windshield.  I signed the final report with the Thrifty representative.  He informed me I would receive correspondence regarding the damage within a few days.

40 days later I was contacted about tire damage to the vehicle.  The representative had stated that the low tire pressure indicator was on when I turned in the vehicle, and wrote on the accident report after the fact that the tire had damage.  There were no indicators any time I was driving the vehicle, I had no problems with the tires, and there were never any indicators when I returned the vehicle.  Additionally, when I inspected the vehicle with the representative at the return, we had found no issues aside from the chip in the windshield.  Again, this was not added to the accident report that I signed.  It was added in later without my knowledge.

The woman that contacted me about the damage, Vicky LeClerc, was the Damage Recovery Agent Based out of 1280 Courtneypark Drive, Mississauga, ON.  She left me a message on 11 July, and another on 16 July.  When I checked my messages on 16 July, I found that her second message was very rude and threatening.  She stated that I was knowingly "ignoring her calls" and that "ignoring these calls isn't going to make this matter go away."  She said she had mailed me a notice on 4 July (which I had not yet received), and that she was going to "escalate the matter" and that "I won't like it when she does, believe me, it won't be a good experience for you."

I called her back after hearing her message, to ask why she was threatening me after only two phone calls and why I was being charged for tire damage without my knowledge.  Afterwards, she sent me the report.  They had written under the windshield damage that the tire indicator was on, and the tire pressure was low.  How shady!  I have the same report we both signed, WITHOUT anything about a tire.  They could have added that any time after we signed it.  It was already dated and signed, why not add more damage to make some money?

The cost I was being charged was for the tire, not even the chip damage!  Vicky so graciously offered to charge for "just the tire, without any additional fees."  After arguing back and forth, I got tired of her attitude and finally agreed to pay the amount for the tire.

Do not rent from this Dollar Thrifty location.  They will rip you off and charge you for damage after the fact, that one of their representatives probably did themselves, not to mention the HORRIBLE, rude people they have working for them, like Vicky LeClerc.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2013 10:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Thrifty-Calgary-Airport-YYC/Calgary-Alberta/Dollar-Thrifty-Calgary-Airport-YYC-Wrongly-charged-at-rental-location-and-threatened-by-1067735. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Thrifty Calgary Airport (YYC)