Complaint Review: Don Norris-Academy of Silversmithing

• Updated: Fri, November 11, 2011

• Reported By: kristy — Crested Butte Colorado United States of America
Don Norris-Academy of Silversmithing
PO Box 2433 Estes Park Internet United States of America

Don Norris-Academy of Silversmithing DO NOT SEND THIS MAN A DEPOSIT - HE IS DISHONEST Internet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Keeping a deposit is not "Dishonest."

Do not send this man a deposit for any classes.  I made the mistake of sending a deposit for a silversmith class in Estes Park early in the year because he told me "classes fill up far in advance".  As it turned out, once I realized how expensive hotels were in Estes Park, Colorado in July, I wrote to say I needed to cancel.  Because he claimed his classes were so popular, I thought it would be no problem for another student to take my place.  I cancelled 2 weeks in advance.

As it turns out only 2 students had signed up for the course - one being me.  Not only did he refuse to refund my deposit, but despite cancelling the class, he turned out to be a nasty punitive person, berating me for cancelling.

I haven't even taken his class, but based on his unfriendly, accusatory and dishonorable manner, I wouldn't want to spend any time in his presence.

For those thinking about silversmithing classes, I recommend Bob Hazeltine of the Santa Fe jeweler's supply.  He can be reached at: 800-659-3835.  A true professional, with actual credentials, he will work around your schedule, and is a patient kind man.  In 2 days I made 2 rings.  Santa Fe has low hotel rates in the off season and is a beautiful city to visit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2011 06:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Don-Norris-Academy-of-Silversmithing/internet/Don-Norris-Academy-of-Silversmithing-DO-NOT-SEND-THIS-MAN-A-DEPOSIT-HE-IS-DISHONEST-Int-754352. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Don Norris-Academy of Silversmithing

Keeping a deposit is not "Dishonest."

AUTHOR: Carolyn - (United States of America)

I'm just a customer and don't really have a dog in this fight, but was struck by the unfairness of this post. "Dishonest" is a strong word to call someone and could have a big cost to them when they're in business.

What, exactly, is "dishonest" about keeping a deposit, when you changed your mind for a reason outside of anyone's control but your own, and only two weeks ahead of time?

Plans are made based on your decision to attend a class. Supplies bought, time devoted, and I know this guy also travels all over the country to give these classes.

Apparently you are quite concerned with your own finances, seeing as how you cancelled because you didn't bother to check into the cost of motels in the area until months after you signed up. But then, you should get to cancel and get all of your money back because you changed your mind, and this guy should just eat that cost?

Um, it doesn't work like that. Anywhere, any time, with any business. The deal is whatever the deal was at the time you made the deposit. Since you don't mention that, we can probably assume you were as lackadaisical about reading that as you were about checking out the costs of your trip at the appropriate time.

This sounds like nothing but you didn't get your own way, and you are unreasonably wanting revenge for it.

Honestly, if this was my company, I would sue you for libel.