Complaint Review: Doubleday Book Club

• Submitted: Sun, December 04, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, December 04, 2005

• Reported By:Virginia Beach Virginia
Doubleday Book Club
PO Box 6325 Camp Hill, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Doubleday Book Club Cancelled and Closed account after many years of doing business, account now in collections Camp Hill Pennsylvania

I was a faithful member of Doubleday Book Club for a number of years, buying probably what had amounted to thousands of dollars worth of books.

Last year, I found myself ill, and during a hospital stay was diagnosed with cancer. Since treatment for that particular affliction just happens to amount to about every penny I would make from my job for oh, five to seven years, and was in no condition to work, well I thought that it would be best that I get myself out from any undue expenses. I sent an e-mail saying that I wanted to cancel my membership with the club, although I had been a member for eight years or so. Shortly after I cancelled my membership, my selections for the previous month arrived, even after I cancelled my membership, and that I asked that no more books be sent.

Today, while I have the cancer under control, and a pile of over 400 pages of medical expense charges totalling close to $300,000, (which I should photocopy and send to Doubleday as a book of my own making),Doubleday was sending me statements telling me that I owed them $25.64, beginning about six months after I closed the account. I took the attitude of they can shove their $25.64, I have MUCH better things to worry about.

Most recently, this $25.64 went to a collection agency, who did place it on my credit report. I had to laugh because no sooner did this go to collections, that Doubleday started sending me the monthly selection package again, just as they would if I were an active member. If they EVER send me another book (which they do if you don't mail the reply slip back), I am keeping their books and they better not even try to charge me for them. I would never do business with people like this ever again. There is that OTHER BOOK CLUB out there who has a fantastic reputation, whom I have been with since my teens, and if I want something, will get it from there.

Constance
Newport, Rhode Island

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2005 07:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Doubleday-Book-Club/Camp-Hill-Pennsylvania-17012/Doubleday-Book-Club-Cancelled-and-Closed-account-after-many-years-of-doing-business-accou-166804. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Doubleday Book Club