Complaint Review: Doubleday Book Club

• Submitted: Mon, October 27, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, November 14, 2003

• Reported By:Freeport Illinois
Doubleday Book Club
P.O. Box 6375 Indianapolis, Indiana U.S.A.

Doubleday Book Club ripoff billing me for books returned, turned into collection agency as a result Indianapolis Indiana

*Author of original report: Doubleday Book Club Indianapolis, IN Collection Update

I have been dealing with Doubleday for a year on the return of unwanted books that they say they never received back and are billing me for.

The books were not ordered but sent to my place of business (an elementary school). The mail goes to the main office. One shipment was supposedly received during the summer when I do not even work.

All other unwanted shipments were returned and credited by them so why not these books?

I have contacted them by mail and since there is no phone number it is difficult to contact them any other way.

They now have me turned into collection and I have responded to their requests that these books are not in my possession. I told the collection agency that they cannot prove I received the books because no one signed for them.

I returned them unopened "Refused - Return to Sender" marked on the package if they had been received.

I could use some help resolving this as it has probably already messed up my credit.

Lori
Freeport, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/27/2003 02:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Doubleday-Book-Club/Indianapolis-Indiana-46205-6375/Doubleday-Book-Club-ripoff-billing-me-for-books-returned-turned-into-collection-agency-as-70245. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Doubleday Book Club

Doubleday Book Club Indianapolis, IN Collection Update

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

As of today 11/14/03, I received an updated account statement from Doubleday stating my balance due was 0.

When I contacted the collection company, they stated the account had been sent back and I promptly thanked them for the harrassing letters to my place of work and the phone calls to my home.

I feel Doubleday owes me a big apology and maybe even compensation due to the error of bookkeeping on their part, turning me into two collection agencies and stress due to this error.

I will be contacting Doubleday to see where I get with them but be cautious about any type of club, they can be a hassle and problematic. I know I won't be joining anymore clubs.

I appreciate your site as a place to put out names of companies who continue to do poor business.