rank

• Reported By: CltMom — Charlotte North Carolina United States of America
Doubleday Book Club
PO Box 916400 Rantoul, Illinois United States of America

Doubleday Book Club Misleading, Bait and Switch, Ripoff! Rantoul, Illinois

I joined this book club several years ago and recieved books and read them.  I recieved a letter a few months ago reminding me of my obligation to order 4 more books.  SInce I now have a Nook and a Kindle, I wasn't excited about this.  However, I know I had to buy some books.  I went to the web site, logged in and ordered  4 books.  They came, I read.

Last week I recieved a notice that I had to order 4 more books, for a total of $72.96, to fufill my obligation.  I figured it was an error and tossed it.  Today I recieved another that said I would be reported to a credit agency if I didn't pay.  I called doubleday.

The girl on the phone was quite snotty, and has not been trained well in the "keep the customer happy" tradition.  She informed me that the $80 of books I ordered didn't meet the requirements to fufil my obligation.  One didn't cost enough, children's books don't qualify, yada, yada, yada.  I told her that was intentionally misleading.

She said "On page 24 of the catalogue" I never had a catalogue, and page 24? Really?

She said "There was a box on the top left of your checkout page that said the books weren't " -

This is so misleading and a total switch and bait.  After I ranted for a while, she took $18 off what I owe.

Arguh!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/20/2011 11:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Doubleday-Book-Club/Rantoul-Illinois-61866-8400/Doubleday-Book-Club-Misleading-Bait-and-Switch-Ripoff-Rantoul-Illinois-743012. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Doubleday Book Club