Complaint Review: Doyle Chevrolet

• Submitted: Thu, November 29, 2001
  • Updated: Fri, November 30, 2001

• Reported By:Webster NY
Doyle Chevrolet
740 Ridge Road Webster, New York U.S.A.

Automobile Warranty Fraud at Doyle Chevrolet *Consumer Suggestion

*0: Consumer Suggestion......

*0: Re/ Consumer Suggestion

Between September 1995, and January 1997, I purchased two new vehicles from Doyle Chevrolet, in Webster, NY. At the time of both purchases, I was asked if I also wanted to purchase extended warranties on these vehicles. Since I planned to keep both of them for a long period of time, I felt that it would be a wise decision.

During the paperwork phase of the first transaction, the salesman handed a form to me for a signature, telling me that it was for the extended warranty. I signed it, handed it back, and shortly thereafter, was on my way with my new car. A couple of weeks later, I get the warranty paperwork, and it's from First Extended Service Corporation, not General Motors. I guess that I incorrectly assumed that since I was purchasing a GM car from a GM dealer, I'd also be purchasing a GM warranty. When I went back to the dealer to straighten this out, they told me that this warranty was better. I said, "How's that?" They then told me that the First Extended warranty covered everything the GM warranty covered, and there was an added benefit. This "benefit" was that if I didn't make any claims on the warranty during the 3rd-6th years that the warranty covered, my money would be refunded. I asked how that was possible, and they said that the warranty company has your money invested for 6 years, and they make something on that. Therefore, if you don't make any claims, they've made some profit and return your purchase cost. A year and a half later, when I bought the second vehicle, they gave me the same sales pitch.

On vehicle number one, the six years is now up. I called the dealership to arrange my refund, since I didn't have to use the warranty. Now I get a new story. They tell me to bring in my "letter", and I'll be all set. I asked, "What letter?" They reply, "The letter that says you're entitled to a refund, since this was a special sales promotion." At no time during either of the vehicle transactions was this warranty "benefit" sold to me as a "special promotion". Two different salesmen, at two different times, told me that this was how this warranty worked, therefore it was a better deal than the GM warranty. Now, it's a whole different story, as I now need some letter that they never sent to me, in order to get this refund.

I sincerely feel that I've been defrauded. Obviously, if I don't have to use the warranty on vehicle number two, they'll have the same story ready again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Doyle-Chevrolet/Webster-New-York-14580/Automobile-Warranty-Fraud-at-Doyle-Chevrolet-Consumer-Suggestion-8320. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Doyle Chevrolet

Their email: cschnackel@fourteen.net
Their name: CS

Their relationship to the company: Consumer Suggestion

Rebuttal:
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is "supposed to" cover warranty fraud. You can get info on it by contacting the Federal Trade Commission, http://www.ftc.gov/

You can read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act at
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/ warranty/undermag.htm

Good luck!

#2 0

Re/ Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: - ()

Thank you for your input, however I've already contacted the FTC on line, as well as the BBB on line, New york State Attorney General's Office on line, as well as Chevrolet Customer Service by letter.

Chevrolet contacted Doyles on my behalf, and got the same "song and tap dance" that I received. The customer rep said that she wasn't overly impressed by their attitude, so she was going to "Send it up a few levels in Management", but offered no guarantees. It really isn't a Chevrolet issue, but rater a dealer business ethics situation, but GM still wants their customers to feel that they're getting a fair shake.

No other agencies have contacted me other that to acknowledge that they received my correspondence, and will look into it. I've tried to connect with them, but other that NYSAG, I don't have phone numbers, and they have failed to respond to my follow up e mails.