Complaint Review: Dr. Angela Thyer

• Updated: Mon, April 01, 2013

• Reported By: OCW — Washington
Dr. Angela Thyer
Seattle, Washington United States of America

Dr. Angela Thyer Seattle Reproductive Medicine Poor experience. Seattle, Washington

I had a strange and unsettling experience with Dr. Angela Thyer of Seattle Reproductive Medicine. I have a condition known as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). It causes excruciating pain and other health symptoms. For more than a year, my general physician tried and failed to find a suitable treatment, so he recommended Dr. Thyer in Seattle, who promotes herself as a PCOS specialist.

I learned that Dr. Thyer works at Seattle Reproductive Medicine, which is largely known for fertility treatments. While infertility is a symptom of PCOS, I was not attempting to have children, so my doctor's referral specialist confirmed that I could see Dr. Thyer for PCOS issues unrelated to fertility. Upon processing the referral, my health insurance company sent an advance warning letter to both me and Dr. Thyer's office that any fertility-related medicine would not be covered.  No problem with me, since that wasn't why I was making the appointment. [continued below]....
..... When I called to make my appointment, I confirmed with the receptionist that it was acceptable to see Dr. Thyer for my PCOS even though I was not attempting to have children.

Despite these advance communications, Dr. Thyer behaved in a very strange and unprofessional manner with me in my appointment with her. When she learned I was not attempting to have children, she demanded in a very aggressive fashion to tell her why. I told her it was a personal choice and completely unrelated to any health issue. I confirmed with her, once again, that she treated PCOS for reasons unrelated to fertility, and she said she did.  She refused, however, to discuss some specific medical treatments with me because she said that she believes that only women attempting to conceive "deserve" those treatments.  Apparently, debilitating pain and other health issues I was experiencing did not merit such options.

The appointment went from bad to worse. Thyer said she wanted to perform an ultrasound, and directed me to the appropriate exam table. A few minutes later, as I was on the table and awaiting the procedure, she strangely demanded, "What? What is it?" I told her that nothing was wrong.

After a couple of aggressive jerks of the ultrasound wand, she claimed that she could not "find" my ovaries and therefore she couldn't treat me.  She had no suggestions, and didn't seem concerned that she allegedly could not find them.  She simply walked out of the room.

Isn't the lack of locating a patient's organs rather serious? One would think that if she couldn't find my ovaries, she'd be quickly referring me to someone who could.  PCOS causes abnormally large ovaries, not hidden ones.  No doctor before or since that appointment has had problems "finding" my ovaries.

I sure didn't need the unprofessional antics of this doctor adding to the stress of having untreated PCOS. Eventually I found a good specialist for this condition, but it took some sleuthing. For those struggling with PCOS, I recommend steering clear of Dr. Angela Thyer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2013 04:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Angela-Thyer/Seattle-Washington-/Dr-Angela-Thyer-Seattle-Reproductive-Medicine-Poor-experience-Seattle-Washington-1039818. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. Angela Thyer