Complaint Review: Dr. Barnes' Eyemart Express

• Submitted: Thu, August 09, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, June 07, 2009

• Reported By:Dekalb Illinois
Dr. Barnes' Eyemart Express
http://www.eyemartexpress.com/index.html Rockford, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone: 815-332.8700
  • Web:
  • Category: Eye Care

Dr. Barnes' Eyemart Express Lenses scratched in 2nd year. Insurance expired after 1st year. Company will not replace. I'm out $300! ripoff Rockford Illinois

*UPDATE Employee: about scratched lenses

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't understand the problem...

*Consumer Comment: Karen, more info please

(Please note: I tried e-mailing this to EyewearExpress via the company website, but it wouldn't go thru. Why am I not surprised.)

August 9, 2007

Dear Sir or Madam,

In March of 2005 I visited your Cherryvale Mall store in Rockford, Illinois, and purchased an eye exam, a pair or regular glasses with no-line bifocals and a pair of sunglasses. All of this cost me over $300.00. This week when I cleaned my glasses I found that one lens is scratched so badly it looks milky. To my fault I did not clean the lens with my cleaning cloth (I'd misplaced it), but I don't understand why there is so much damage.

I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old (I'm now 48). My glasses are crucial to my daily functioning and to my ability to be employed (I'm a part-time college reading instructor and a substitute teacher for grades K-12).

I called your store about the scratched lens and was told by your sales person your warranty and the insurance I purchased are only good for ONE YEAR. I don't have time to find the paperwork the store gave me because of work, but I could if necessary. She
also said I need a new exam every year so the store couldn't replace the lens without an exam. Ok, fine. But I don't have the MONEY for all that! So now I'm screwed and back to a pair of glasses I had before coming to your store.

I have old glasses (some that are 15 years old) which have some minor scratches but nowhere near the damage of the glasses I purchased from your company. And I have never used a "cleansing cloth" until I purchased glasses from your store. I really thought I was dealing with a reputable company which had quality materials. I have recommended to several friends that they visit your store because of the prices, the attractive frames, and the quick and professional service. As of now I will no longer do this and I will not return to your stores.

I'm so mad I could explode!

Karen
Dekalb, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2007 08:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Barnes-Eyemart-Express/Rockford-Illinois/Dr-Barnes-Eyemart-Express-Lenses-scratched-in-2nd-year-Insurance-expired-after-1st-yea-266348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. Barnes' Eyemart Express

about scratched lenses

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

All lenses are basically the same. Most are made by Essilor Corp. one of the largest of the lens manufacturerers. To say that a specific stores lenses are better or worse than anothers is untrue. There isnt any buisness that will replace your lenses after a year..and Ive worked many. For free that is..Your warranty was free on the frame for a yr...no matter how many times it had to be replaced..your lens warranty cost you 29.95$..and included as many lens replacements in a yr. that you needed.So long as you used a cotton cloth and not paper..you shouldve been alright..I dont know if you had any coatings that mightve been damaged or not.But ..for the price..2 prs for 300$..youre doing well. Some Dr.s do write an expiration date of 1 yr on their rx's..opticians have to go by that..or risk lawsuits..save your money and get another exam.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Don't understand the problem...

AUTHOR: Tfrgsn - (U.S.A.)

First of all, according to you, your lens was NOT scratched in the "second year of the warranty". You stated that you bought the glasses in March of 2005 and scratched them "this week" in a report dated August of 2007, that is roughly 2 years and 5 months-clearly not within the 2 year warranty time period.

Secondly, the type of damage you mention could have been done with something like acetone or a similar cleaner if it was used on a polycarbonate lens. Most eyeglass stores use the same high quality lenses from vendors like Vision Ease, Silor etc. and given that you had no problems for over two years- there is no reason to believe that the lens quaility is an issue. Nor is there a reason to believe, based on your own report, that the eyeglass store is ripping you off.

Karen, more info please

AUTHOR: Aafes - (U.S.A.)

Karen,

First, I am empathetic with your situation. I am wearing glasses that are 5 years old in which one lens is usable because of scratching. I am a former optician, and I won't even begin to detail the price gouging that occurs on an eyeglass purchase.

What type of lens did you purchase?

It is common practice for optical stores to upsell a lens to a customer that is not really necessary. It may have a unique name for the store but generally it is a lens with Anti Reflective coating. These lenses can be identified easily by a "greenish" colored reflection in the lens. If you look for the reflection of an overhead room light on the front of the lens it will appear green. These lenses are EASILY scratched if cleaned dry and if any cloth other than a lens cloth or 100% cotton is used. Window cleaner will also damage lenses quickly by deteriorating this coating. Glasses are NOT made from glass in most cases.

Also, if you use hair spray or spray cologne/perfume on your face while wearing the glasses the chemicals in these products will damage the lens.

If you purchased standard plastic or ultra thin plastic lenses, these lenses have a "scratch RESISTANT" coating - it is not however scratch proof. Again, cleaning these lenses without a lens cloth, cleaning them dry, or exposing them to chemicals, will, over time cause scratches on the lens surface. The life expectancy of these lenses is around two years in cases in which the lens is cared for properly only some of the time.

One one point the optical shop is correct without question. Once you reach the point you require bifocals it is even more vital you have an eye examination yearly. Not only to ensure your prescription is correct but the Optometrist/Ophthalmologist will check your eyes for formation of cataracts, your retina for early signs of glaucoma or other systemic disease in which symptoms which can first appear on the retina.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC