Complaint Review: Dr. Charles Covert MD

• Submitted: Mon, June 01, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, June 01, 2009

• Reported By:houston Texas
Dr. Charles Covert MD
800 Bering Dr #202 Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Dr. Charles Covert MD Exhuberant fees, useless tests, and forces you into a diagnosis/treament plan Houston Texas

I came to Dr. Covert after searching for an MD closer to where I live. I was being seen for anxiety and mild bipolar by an existing physician who was doing a fine job.

I made an appoint to see Dr. Covert first thing in the morning. I ended up waiting 2 hours to be seen even though I was his first patient. I was explained the fees (200/visit 150 for Psych test) I thought this was a bit outrageous but I figured it was a one-time deal.

I coughed up the $ and took a rather simple personality index with silly questions such as, "I hurt little animals" or "I like to study things mechanical" I'm educated enough to know that these tests are rather skewed and are not an exact science.

I also found out the test he was administering was local on his computer and was available free to anyone who wanted to download it. So basically he was charging me $150 for me to use a freely available test. Ok so it took his receptionist 5 minutes to set it up, so subtract her labor.

After 4 hours of waiting (he kept pushing patients in front of me) I walked into his office which was full of animal heads and other country trophies. In addition he seemed very proud of his law enforcement affiliations and seemed to want to prove a point.

I explained my history and how things have been for me (being a bit stressed and moody lately). He then claimed that my current doctor was misdiagnosing me and didn't have a clue what he was doing. He also mentioned that my previous doctor (who passed away) was a "quack" and had no business treating patients.

I didn't know how to take this and thought his professionalism was quite lacking.

He then asked me to take an MMPI to get a better diagnosis which was 500+ questions similar to the one I took earlier, cha-ching $$$$ another 150$.

By the time I was done he said that I had a severe mood disorder border lining on being psychotic and that if I'm not medicated and see him regularly he would recommend me or hospitalization. He gave me an onslaught of anti-psychotic samples to try which I decided not to.

I am by no means insane or dislocated from reality and while I admit to having anxiety and maybe even bipolar/mood swings, I still comprehend and am involved in day to day life.

It's my belief that Dr. Covert is looking to exploit his patients through the excessive use of treatments that may or may not prove beneficial to his patients. Focusing less on patient care and more on his bottom line seems to be his racket.

I've decided to make the long drive and see my old doctor and continue working with him.

I encourage anyone considering care from Dr. Covert to re-evaluate.

Cz3ch
houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2009 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Charles-Covert-MD/Houston-Texas-77057/Dr-Charles-Covert-MD-Exhuberant-fees-useless-tests-and-forces-you-into-a-diagnosistrea-457314. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. Charles Covert MD