Complaint Review: Dr. E. Alan Zane

Dr. E. Alan Zane
420 Uluniu Street Kailua, Hawaii United States of America

Dr. E. Alan Zane Makai Animal Clinic Vet killed my dog Kailua, Hawaii

*Author of original report: UPDATE

*Author of original report: Good Luck...

*Consumer Comment: This is not The National Enquirer

Cashew was my family's 11 year old Golden Retriever. On November 18, 2011, Cashew went to Makai Animal Clinic for a routine operation. We had been taking all 6 of our dogs to Makai for almost 7 years. Five agonizing months later, Cashew had to be put down.  He could no longer fight the 2 deadly, infectious bacteria that that had taken over his body.

Cashew died because Dr. Zane did not look at Cashews Records (Dr. Zane had taken a blood test about 1 years ago) and gave him a drug (Rimadyl) that tests showed he could not tolerate. The side effects (the drug has many side effects including Death) caused a red, itchy "hotspot" on the top of Cashews head. The lesion became infected and spread down his face and other lesions appeared on his legs, arms and trunk.

Despite us asking Dr. Zane (3 times) to please take a culture test, Dr. Zane refused but instead kept prescribing different antibiotics. [continued below]....
..... Throwing different antibiotics at an infection without knowing what it is can be deadly.  Overuse of antibiotics is but one of the reasons behind the swift evolution of the superbugs, the other reason is lack of knowledge.

By the time any tests were taken, it was too late.  Cashews body has been taken over by 2 potentially deadly, transmittable (between human and animal) bacterial infections (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and Beta-Hemolytic Streptococcal (Strep). Cashew was eventually put out of his misery. Dr. Zane/Makai Animal Clinic have refused to take any responsibility but they were more than willing to take over $3,000 from us. I recommend you avoid this Vet/Clinic at all costs, especially if you love your pet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/18/2012 10:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-E-Alan-Zane/Kailua-Hawaii-96734/Dr-E-Alan-Zane-Makai-Animal-Clinic-Vet-killed-my-dog-Kailua-Hawaii-884643. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. E. Alan Zane

UPDATE

AUTHOR: Cashew B - (United States of America)

On July 17, 2012, Makai Animal Clinic left this threatening message directed at me on their Facebook page, "While this client still has numerous negative website and postings as well as her own personal website attacking Makai Animal Clinic, we are now consulting with our legal team in regards to a lawsuit pertaining to slander & defammation of charactor against this previous client. We will give her 30 days to remove all the negative postings and sites before proceeding." As of July 19, 2012, I have yet to hear from their "legal team."

UPDATE: They removed the threatening post but you can still see another post dated May 21, 2012 (hurry, they will probably DELETE that one too!!!)

Makai Animal Clinic was attempting to literally bully me into taking away my constitutional right to express my opinion about a product or a service. In my opinion it says a lot about a business...

Good Luck...

AUTHOR: Cashew B - (United States of America)

For the record, everything stated in the report is backed up by records taken by Makai Animal Clinic.  They even stated as an excuse for his mistakes that Dr. Z was having "personal problems" Yep, in the records taken by MAC.  Right there in Black & White.
I took my animals to Dr. Z for 6 years...so what!
The last 5 months were a disaster and I hope for your sake that your animals receive the standards of care that is required.  Take a good look at all the reviews online (filtered and nonflitered and you will see this is not an isolated case.
I thank the people that have come forward to tell the truth.  Unfortunately, I did not see the reviews until it was too late.
I did not make the decision to put my dog down.  Dr. Z made it for me.  For over 5 months, my dog wore a cone 24/7.  He needed to be bathed everyday to clean the pus and blood fron his face and body.  He had a fever of 103+ twice .  His body was shaking uncontrollably.
The Staph strain my dog had evolves into a strain that is resistent to ALL antibiotics.  It gets that way when too many different antibiotics are given.  If a culture was taken, he would be alive today.
The drug he was given that started the whole nightmare, was a drug that my dog could not tolerate.  Two test were given a year and a half ago by Dr. z and proved he could not handle the drug.  Dr Z and the other Vet never took the time to check the records and gave it to him anyways.
So, God forbid one of your animals has to be put out of his misery because a trusted Vet dropped the ball.
Also, let's hope you and your pets were no where near the Clinic during the 5 months my dog was there.  MRSA and Strep are highly contagious and can be easily transmitted from animal to animal and animal to human.  We sat in the waiting room every time we went to the Clinic and no one was in the least bit concerned that he had pus and blood running down his face.  Good Luck...

This is not The National Enquirer

AUTHOR: b_nice - (United States of America)

I noticed your posting because Dr Zane is my trusted vet and has been for several years.  I have a few dogs that he has helped through some serious medical problems.

I think you are being intentionally misleading by claiming that DrZane killed your dog.  You go on to say that your dog "had to be put down."  Now, unless Dr Zane gave the injection to put your dog to sleep, he did not actually kill your dog.  You made a decision to have your dog put to sleep.  You probably signed an authorization for a vet or the humane society to give the injection.  Whoever gave the shot is the one who killed Cashew.

Some of us die of cancer; some of us are hit by a bus; some of us die of flesh eating bacteria.  It is unfortunate that your dog had a bad infection.  However, your use of hyperbole makes you seem less honest and more unfair.  Perhaps this is part of the grieving process.

Like you, I have taken my dogs to Dr Zane for several years.  If you took "all 6 of your dogs to Makai for almost 7 years," then they must not be so bad!