Cashew was my family's 11 year old Golden Retriever. On November 18, 2011, Cashew went to Makai Animal Clinic for a routine operation. We had been taking all 6 of our dogs to Makai for almost 7 years. Five agonizing months later, Cashew had to be put down. He could no longer fight the 2 deadly, infectious bacteria that that had taken over his body.
Cashew died because Dr. Zane did not look at Cashews Records (Dr. Zane had taken a blood test about 1 years ago) and gave him a drug (Rimadyl) that tests showed he could not tolerate. The side effects (the drug has many side effects including Death) caused a red, itchy "hotspot" on the top of Cashews head. The lesion became infected and spread down his face and other lesions appeared on his legs, arms and trunk.
Despite us asking Dr. Zane (3 times) to please take a culture test, Dr. Zane refused but instead kept prescribing different antibiotics. [continued below]....
..... Throwing different antibiotics at an infection without knowing what it is can be deadly. Overuse of antibiotics is but one of the reasons behind the swift evolution of the superbugs, the other reason is lack of knowledge.
By the time any tests were taken, it was too late. Cashews body has been taken over by 2 potentially deadly, transmittable (between human and animal) bacterial infections (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and Beta-Hemolytic Streptococcal (Strep). Cashew was eventually put out of his misery. Dr. Zane/Makai Animal Clinic have refused to take any responsibility but they were more than willing to take over $3,000 from us. I recommend you avoid this Vet/Clinic at all costs, especially if you love your pet.