Complaint Review: Dr. H. Michael Shack, OD

• Submitted: Fri, October 19, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, October 19, 2012

• Reported By: Unhappy Camper — United States of America
Dr. H. Michael Shack, OD
1280 Bison Ave Newport Beach, CA 92660 Newport Beach, California United States of America

Dr. H. Michael Shack, OD Sloppy Doctor Newport Beach, California

I've been wearing contacts for 8 years and never in one of those years have I met an optometrist like this guy. Yes, he's polite enough, but he did not hold himself professionally (what doctor wears a one of those touristy-Hawaiian print shirts on the clock?). There were also 2 things that really, really appalled me.

1.) When I took off my contacts, he gave me a case to put them in - which looked like a case he gave to all his other patients to put their contacts in during their eye exam. It looked unwashed, old, and though he couldn't find a cap, he still had me put them in there  -_____-

2.) Upon taking off my contact, he did NOT have me wash my hands before taking them out. NEVER have I visited a doctor who did not have me wash my hands before taking off/putting on my contacts. The exam room didn't even have a sink.

When I came to pick up my trial lenses 2 weeks later, I waited 15-20 minutes for his receptionist to find my records. She found it, but due to a misunderstanding, I was unable to pick up my lenses... so I came back a few hours later. Even then, I STILL had to wait ~15 minutes for them to find it. Ridiculous.

I then asked the doctor for a copy of my prescription (there is no way in hell I was going to buy my lenses from them). He probably knew what I was thinking, so he strikes a deal: $80 for a year supply of lenses and an additional 3 months supply. Passed the offer and now, I am glad I did after reading all the reviews on here about his sketchy business practices.

Overall, he's extremely sloppy. Avoid if you can.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/19/2012 05:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-H-Michael-Shack-OD/Newport-Beach-California-92660/Dr-H-Michael-Shack-OD-Sloppy-Doctor-Newport-Beach-California-957407. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. H. Michael Shack, OD