Complaint Review: Drive Time, Inc. - Ugly Duckling

• Submitted: Thu, January 08, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, January 08, 2009

• Reported By:Terminal Island California
Drive Time, Inc. - Ugly Duckling
18313 Hawthorne Boulevard Torrance, California U.S.A.

Drive Time, Inc. - Ugly Duckling Has DESTROYED my life and my CREDIT!! I am DISGUSTED and sick to my stomache!! Torrance California

*Consumer Comment: Drive Time/Ugly Duckling have been posted as a scam here on ROR for years

Where do I begin?? It all started the day that I wanted to defy my parents and buy a car in a hurry with only 700 hundred dollars. My first HUGE mistake was even listening to my friend who had said "Great" things about Drive Time. Like many people wanting to fix their credit by purchasing a car and barely enough money, I got suckered into buying a car at Drive Time courtesy of my friend.

I will never forget the day that I went in with out a care as to knowing I was signing my life away. The day was 10/20/2007 and totally got suckered into a 2006 Ford Taurus with 72000 miles and a sticker price of 16,000 and some odd change. But wait, it gets better! Seeing as I DID not have enough money and should have felt the lightening bolt from the heavens telling me to leave; almost 21,000 dollars later, I had my "so-called" dream car.

11/15/2007 my first Diagnostic check at Performance Transmission, which is no longer Drive Time's repair vendor anymore!! I took my car in because not even a MONTH later, I am on vacation with friends in AZ and my car DIES at 75mph!!! Luckily I was by an exit, but my car was dead for a half hour!! I was livid and hysterical as ever and could do nothing; not even tow it because I was so far away.

So that's when Performance Trans. came into play and of course does a "Joe Schmoe" job in attempting to fix my car. Of course Drive Time was so courtesy as to waive the first 40 dollar diagnostic fee and send me on my way after fixing the Idle Air Control Valve. Thanks but No Thanks.

Five months into my "awesome" 6 month/6,000 mile warranty, my car dies 4 times while I am driving in the car; 2 times on my way to work and 2 on the way home. Guess who I call? Drive Time's Warranty Dept. That was hopeless and like talking to a little kid; and now I am getting even more livid because I was not going to take my car to another repair vendor of theirs.

10/20/2008 Yay, I have had my car for a year! Oops, wait I counted my chickens before they hatched. 12/10/2008 backing out of my garage to let my roommate park his monster of a truck, and my car dies in reverse. 10 minutes later, it starts and park the thing on the street and walk away.

12/23/2008 go to start my car to go grocery shopping...car doesn't start! Six attempts and it just kept making a clicking noise or a whirring sound. I walk away before I look like an idiot kicking and screaming at my car. 12/25/2008 What do you think happened? Didn't start! This went on like this for five days straight until I finally got it started, thinking it was the battery. I then shut the car off after running it for 10 minutes.

12/30/2008 Go to Sams Club to get a new 70 dollar battery. 01/01/2009 Return to Sams Club to replace battery because I didn't have the tools. Finally, after seven attempts to start the car, I get it to my destination.

Not even a half hour later, the SC Mechanic comes in and says "You're Car Won't Start." I wanted to take that car and drive right into Drive Time's sales office. Oh wait,I can't because It Won't Start. So I call my dad in IL and he calls our family mechanic; with almost 30 years of business under his belt, and I give them both the run down.

2 hours later, 1 huge migraine and messing around with wiring, the starter cable, circuit box and both batteries, it was confirmed dead. Now with out my dad or mechanic looking at it and 2 SC mechanics said "Your Flash/PCM computer is fried." 65 dollars later and a dead car, it sat at a mechanic in Gardena, CA until 01/07/2009!

01/07/2009 I finally get my car towed for 80 dollars to Power Ford to get 106 dollar diagnostic check. 1 hour after being at Power Ford, the Service Manager calls and asks if I have a 2nd key with a chip because the anti-theft system is locked. I said "NO, Drive Time never gave me one sorry."

The PF Service manager says, well in order for us to even start the diagnostic check, it will cost another 135 dollars plus the 106 dollar diagnostic fee." I said "Stop and don't do anything, I am calling my dad and mechanic. I will call you back." I called my mechanic in IL and 2 hours later, I get a call from the Service Manager at Power Ford. He and another mechanic 100 percent confirmed that the "PCM Computer" was fried and if they should go ahead and fix it.

I said, "Well what's it gonna cost me?" He said 900 dollars plus a new key for the anti-theft system which will be 135 dollars. I ended it there. I was crying hysterical and was at my wits end with the car. I called my dad back and he said to cut my losses and to just pay the 106 dollars.

I am now on my way from home to Power Ford and to collect my plates and belongings so Drive Time can take the car back. When I arrive, I see the Service Manager and that I was back to collect my things so I can let the s.o.b.'s repo the car. He goes before you do that, we got the car started, but this computer is no good and will be an ongoing problem.

Also, there may be more underlying problems which will cost you an arm and a leg; which if this car already hasn't. The ending to my day? My 2006 Ford (Found On Road Dead) is sitting at my house on it's last limb. Need I say more?? P.S. I am NOT even going into the conversation that I had with the GM (Max) at Drive Time. He is no better than the devil himself. FINAL VERDICT: SHUT DOWN DRIVE TIME!!!!

Ally-c
Terminal Island, California

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Drive Time, formally known as Ugly Duckling which is registered under the same ownership.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2009 02:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drive-Time-Inc-Ugly-Duckling/Torrance-California-90504/Drive-Time-Inc-Ugly-Duckling-Has-DESTROYED-my-life-and-my-CREDIT-I-am-DISGUSTED-and-409474. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drive Time, Inc. - Ugly Duckling

Drive Time/Ugly Duckling have been posted as a scam here on ROR for years

AUTHOR: Laurie - (U.S.A.)

Its been a posted alert under "Featured Reports" on the ROR homepage for a very long time now.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC