Complaint Review: DriveTime Automotive Group

• Updated: Wed, April 23, 2014

• Reported By: Sphynxle — Oklahoma City Oklahoma
DriveTime Automotive Group
Phoenix, Arizona USA

DriveTime Automotive Group DriveTime Sent My Vehicle to Auction After Telling Wouldn't, Took My Money, and Won't Refund Phoenix Arizona

*Author of original report: To Robert:

*Consumer Comment: Typical sub-prime attitude...

*Author of original report: To be clear.

*Author of original report: Actually....

*Consumer Comment: Wrong

On March 24, 2014, my car was repossessed from my home in Oklahoma City, OK. On March 26th, 2014, I called Drive Time, and spoke with Joe (he did not give a last name) from Redemption and made arrangements with him, including him putting a hold on my vehicle so that it would not be sold at auction and made a deal with him to get my car back for $2500. I told him that I would give DriveTime a call when I collected the money, and would get back to them within my week timeline of being able to pay them.

On April 3rd, I called to make the payment of $2500. The woman was very kind and told me she would give me a call back when the car was released, and I could make arrangements to pick it up. When I called Oklahoma Repressors, I was informed that my vehicle was, in fact, no longer in Oklahoma City, but had been sent to DriveTime's Dallas, TX lot to prepare to be sold at auction. I live almost four hours away from Dallas, have no way to be able to get to Dallas to pick the vehicle up.

This morning, April 22nd, after trying to get ahold of a manager for a week, I finally spoke with Brian Tucco (spelling may be wrong). My request was that since I was in no way told that my vehicle was no longer in my state, and I had no way of picking the car up, I would like the $2500 refunded that I paid to redeem the vehicle. He told me this was not possible, due to the fact I had paid "fees due" on my car, and that goes to the balance I had owed. While I completely understand this, I do feel I was misled by never once being informed by the six different people I spoke with that the car was no longer even in my state. Had I learned that up front, I would have allowed the vehicle to be sold for auction and cut my ties with the company once and for all.

The money that I paid with was borrowed from my grandmother, who is a widow and is living on social security. I do feel that this is a wrong by the company. I fulfilled my end of the agreement, paying the company what I was told I needed to get the car back, being told that the "hold" would stop my car from going to any auction lot, and yet they shipped my car off the next day after it was repossessed. I am now out $2500 and have no car at all. No one was willing to even help me in the slightest, nor did they seem interested in it at all.

While I do not expect to get my money back, I do think it would be in the best interest of this company to inform any and ALL persons who have been repossessed that their car being taken completely out of state is a possibility. I am not saying it was DriveTime's fault that I was repossessed (this was my responsibility, I understand that), but I do find it completely ridiculous for a company to take someone's car away and then ship it to a place that they can not get to without either a bus, a train, or a flight, and still expect them to happily be able to go get the car by their own means. They have no way to bring the car back in state once it is redeemed, nor do they even seem to think this is a problem. I know I can not be the first person this has happened to.

Best case scenario would be that I could get my money back, or at least part of it, seeing as I paid this to get my car, but am now out on both situations. If that is not doable (and I understand if it is not), I would like some sort of actual apology, and not the "empathy" crap they have to give you over the phone. I do think that some sort of change in how they handle these situations should be instated.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2014 09:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DriveTime-Automotive-Group/Phoenix-Arizona-85018/DriveTime-Automotive-Group-DriveTime-Sent-My-Vehicle-to-Auction-After-Telling-Wouldnt-T-1140960. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DriveTime Automotive Group

To Robert:

AUTHOR: Sphynxle - ()

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I am NOT upset at them for the repossession. They were doing what they needed to do, and that is on me. I do not expect everyone to agree with me, sir, and I would appreciate it of you would stop putting words in my mouth.

My car was not auctioned. You're making up imaginary scenarios that never happened and have nothing at all to do with my complaint.

I made a deal with my car company to have the car redeemed and to keep it in state. This was what I was led to believe by the gentleman I spoke with. I made my payment, and found out the car was sent to a different state after I had made the "hold" to keep it in state.

I understand what I paid was toward my remaining balance. I am not am idiot. I am upset that I paid to get my car back, and am now left with no car and am out on my money. So the money went to the balance - okay.  That's fine. But I do believe I should have been informed UPFRONT that the car was no longer in state. THAT is my complaint. Not the teposession. Not the imaginary actions or garnishing wages you made up. That. Plain and simple.

I have a sneaking suspicion you work for the company. If that is the case, I do recommend there be a policy change. That is all I am wanting from this.

You have a nice day, sir. Go for a walk, and enjoy a cup.of coffee. :)

Typical sub-prime attitude...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

First of all YOU posted on a PUBLIC web site, where the PUBLIC may comment.  Oh and this may be a surprise to you but not everyone is going to agree with you.  And your are right we don't know the half of it.   That is because like most "sub-prime borrowers" the half of it that you don't post are things that don't make you look so good.

- And this is where your "Sub Prime" attitude shows up.  You did NOT fullfill your agreement.  Oh what agreement you ask?  How about the original agreement that stated you would make a specific payment at specific times.  Because if you truly fullfilled that agreement your car would NOT have been reposessed.

You say you accept responsibility for your car getting reposessed...okay if that is true then you also must accept ALL the concequences of the reposession.  Which you are not doing.

You are not out the $2500.  Even if the car is repossessed you are responsible for the loan balance.  When they auction off the car they take the money from the auction and deduct it from your loan balance.  If the auction price does not cover the loan balance you are responsible for the deficency balance.  If there is excess after the sale you are legally entitled to the difference.  So either you now owe $2500 less than you would have, or you will get some(or all) of it back.

Oh and if you do end up with a deficency balance, they have the legal right to still come after you through the collections process.  If you fail to pay it they then can file suit against you in court and if they prevail depending on your state laws they can garnish your wages or attach your bank account.  And yes...these are all concequences of your reposession.

One final thought...just imagine if you had borrowed the money before they reposessed the car.

To be clear.

AUTHOR: Sphynxle - ()

To be clear, I am not upset at DT for repoing my car. That's my own doing. But I did uphold their redemption policies, and am still $2500 out and no car. So...yeah.

If your only comment tto this is going to be to 'shame' me, keep it to yourself. Had enough of that, don't really care for more from strangers who don't even know the half of it.

Actually....

AUTHOR: Sphynxle - ()

It is none of your concern, nor business why the car was repossessed. That wasn't the issue.

The issue is I upheld my end of the agreement to get the car back. Drivetime did not. Why the car was repossessed in first place literally has nothing to do with my complaint. I know I was in the wrong in that situation, and was taking active measures to get myself back on track.

So get off your high horse and take a look at your own life before you start condemning mine.

Wrong

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

You did not fulfill your agreement because your car was repossessed for non payment!  If you made your payments then you would not be in this situation therefore your report is mute.