Complaint Review: DriveTime

• Updated: Sat, August 09, 2014

• Reported By: Brent — McGregor Texas
DriveTime
Temple, Texas USA

DriveTime Leased me a defective Pontiac grand Prix with a shut down device installed by them. Temple Texas

*Consumer Comment: Perfect?

*Author of original report: RamJet you call yourself ?

*Consumer Comment: Not quite accurate.

*Author of original report: correction to my statement

*Author of original report: The name Deadbeat

*Author of original report: remember my statement

*Author of original report: car malfunctioning

*Consumer Comment: Fact Check

*Consumer Comment: Well at least...

*Author of original report: Only time will tell

*Consumer Comment: Brent, Drive Time is a dealership for subprime borrowers

*Author of original report: If you read the report

*Author of original report: If you read the report

*General Comment: How??

*Consumer Comment: The ONLY time lenders install these devices are to protect their property from serial deadbeats, such as yourself.

*Consumer Comment: Get serious

I was leased a Pontiac grand Prix,made all my payments on time ,the car was shut down on me twice actually 3 times as a result of being late on a payment even after I was given permission to do so and almost caused my life and others to be put in Danger,It got to the point that the car would not start do to the car being shut down so many times the anti theft device on the vehicle decided to just stay shut down,I was told to have the car towed at my expense to a dealership and have a diagnostics done which after a 100.00 dollar deductible was applicable and also found out if electric was at fault that warranty did not cover it , the car was taken due to none payment as I couldn't afford to get it towed plus pay on it , I contacted the BBB and DriveTime contacted me and after investigation a 25.00 dollar gift card was given to me which I refused as I lost more then just a car I lost a place to live and my job due to no transportation, I deserve to have a car replaced in which I traded in to get one from them,this has not been resolved I'm going to the news next and hopefully get a lawyer to sue them for fraud

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2014 08:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DriveTime/Temple-Texas/DriveTime-Leased-me-a-defective-Pontiac-grand-Prix-with-a-shut-down-device-installed-by-t-1168620. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DriveTime

Perfect?

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

I never claimed to be perfect - those are your words.

However, I have never paid a bill late or missed a payment and I'm in my 70s.

Paying my bills has always been a high priority to me.  If I do miss some payments and they come after me I will certainly not whine about it though.

RamJet you call yourself ?

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

You mentioned If I payed my bills on time I wouldnt be in this situation, guessing your a perfect person never late on a bill in your life , must be nice to have money like that but unfortunatly like other human beings on this planted that dont got it as well as you get behindsome times and ask for a week extention being I was paying 296.60 bi weekly it gets hard , but I was able to pay up after first original start out was my car plus 396.00 down then following week 296.60. then this continued for 2 months then git it down to 196.60 , I git sick for a couple days missed some work again not perfect, so I asked for extention till following week but the car shut down , died ,quit working ect..... Then in irder to get it to work dealing with these people the bill jumped to over 400.00 that fast including the 196.60 so if I paid the bill covered my insurance paid the tow and paid the 100.00 dollar deductable that all the sudden didn't matter due to the electrict not covered in the policy which meant I was responsible now for the total fix after the 160.00 dollar diagnistic check  I was way out of my pocket which meant no rent or food so Mr.Perfect, I didn't see an option do you ? Oh forgot you have never missed or been late for a bill

Not quite accurate.

AUTHOR: Mr. Fully-Employed Taxpayer - ()

As the author of the "Fact Check" response, I feel obligated to point some other glaring ommissions. I do not work for ANY dealership. There is no such thing as a "delaid[sic]" kill switch. No company on earth would open themselves to such liability. This country is teeming with people actively seeking a jackpot situation. The way it works is like a breathylizer ignition interlock. You void the terms and conditions of your payment agreement and a message is sent to a GPS-like satellite. This message is received by the device placed under the hood. When there is no ignition (off, car not moving), the starter will not engage. Fulfill whatever obligation you missed, and a signal sent in the same manner to allow the starter to engage. It is NOT the fuses. Your starter runs off a relay, anyway. Just thought that you should know. Oh, and by the way, when I have a spare moment between my two jobs I enjoy reading RipOff Report. There but for the grace of God go I!

correction to my statement

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

I appoligize as I misread your rebuttle as I thought you stated something about the fuses and you stated one or more terminals on battery, so I  correct this fact only to state that MOST everyone knows this fact about battery terminals but I did take the fuses out several times and replace them to see if the problem was the internal computuer anti theft device would reboot itself ,only if this was the problem I also read the manual and turned the key on left in the on position for a while so the computer chip would reboot to turn the car over which it would just do that ,turn over and over but not start ,Then I figguerd it to be the spark plugs not firing so I spent several hours changing them as the ones in the back were the worst to get to, then checked the fuel filter clean ; as I only put the best gas in it and gas treatments once in awhile, but after calling DriveTime and being sent from one person to another all day only to tell me the warrenty does not cover electric problem ,even though it does cover normal wear and tear which it would had been considered. I got tired and pulled the fuses completely out so they would just talk to me as I had to work the next morning,needless to say I walked home several times after a long day at work.

The name Deadbeat

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

I am really surprised at this response first off I have no entitallment behavor and you dont know me, I only felt entitlled to what I was paying for and it wasn't a car that all of a sudden dies on the road for no reason, also you seem like a loser as the only reason I keep coming back to this site is people like yourself have no life because you spend most your time rebuttling people  like you trying to enlighten the public to the fact that this company is in your eye's perfect and I took a chance on their services and found them to be the type that take advantage of people or am I  the only person making complaints on DriveTime? I  dont know if you just happend by my report or you spend all day going through reports for DriveTime or your just one lonely person , and as for getting a lawyer better believe it , no one sends a Visa card to some one as a kind gester if that person was in the wrong, it's like paying some one for no hard feelings after they took the car, So since you felt it was right to call me names and it seems to make you feel like you did something for a company could care less about you, find yourself a hobby anything could be better then this,goodluck let us know how it turns out for you .

remember my statement

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

of course I remember what I stated , but I was given an extention by the company yet before I could pay it , I was shown what could happen if I failed to meet their dead line, funny how you become on the defensive for this company and I never mentioned how late but you seem to have some knowledge of it, so DriveTime hires people to protect their intrest by this sorta attack one thing you can never beat though  It is the truth no matter how hard you try , It should be obvious to you by now im not some one that your used to taking advantage of and I will defend the truth , So let me ask you why you try so hard to defend this sorta behavor from a company could care less about you , Do you work for them do the public a favor tell the truth

car malfunctioning

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

The car had what you call a delaid kill switch that seem to work after the car was in motion , I  was driving this vehicle when it stalled,now the car is also equipt with an ani theft device that would also allow the car to start and drive for so long after it was in drive, now I called Pontiac and it was nit on the recall list , the device that was under the dash was wired to kill the car if the wires were disabled , and its funny that if the fuses were removed it would refuse to start as the only ones knew I did in fact remove the fuses was DriveTime itself and to inform you as to why I did this was ; I called the company several times about the situations I was in only to be shuffled around for hours to no end. I figgured if I was to remove them and the car no longer showed on satalite they would call me then,but this never happened and the car was towed away and still never recieved a call because it was a scam being pulled on me , but your knowledge of the fuse removal to the system boggles my mind again it could be common sence but why mention it at all as I already know this, being you say you dont work for the company? Nice try this just lets the world know how low this company will stoop to get out of this , and to let you know I do have witnesses willing to testify as to what happened , and may I remind you those times I called should be on file as it states( all calles are recorded for quality puposes ) because I will demand they be brought into the case under discovery , Like I said no normal consumer would defend a company just to do it , unless it was a job or corperate assignment to rebuttle as DriveTime is not an employer of yours as you say,  I have a life as I dont sit and read through all these other peoples situations so I can rebuttle against them to inform the public

Fact Check

AUTHOR: Mr. Fully-Employed Taxpayer - ()

I would be remiss if I did not point out a glaring misstatement by the original author. I don't work for this or any dealer, but I do work at a large national auto parts store. I can tell you with all assurances that the fabled "kill switch" does NOT stop a running engine or impede a moving vehicle. The GPS-linked device only prevents you from STARTING the vehicle. No highway abutment near death experiences, no family at risk. Just won't start. Oh, and by the way, if you disconnect either or both of the battery terminals, the vehicle also won't start.

Well at least...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

- Well at least you still have an Internet Connection.  (And if you don't get that statement it is very obvious why you are in this situation).

- Okay...you want to be discredited, well here you go

"all my payments on time ,the car was shut down on me twice actually 3 times as a result of being late on a payment"

- Do you remember that statement?  You should..YOU made it.  Oh but you are going to say "well they said I could". That may be true.  But it does NOT change the fact that you were still late.  Also, we have no idea what their "permission" included.  Perhaps they said you could be late 2-3 days and you were 2-3 weeks late.

Only time will tell

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

I appreciate your input but I am not leaving my path to seek right to this situation,I have and am seeking resolve to this , yes I signed a contract allowing a GPS location device but the disable device used to shut down this vehicle was already installed actually both were and to use this disabling device as a tactic while driving ,was in a form of a type of Mafia scare tactic as I made calls to DriveTime while sitting in the middle of the street on a bridge that I slid on to just missing a family with two children in the vehicle a complete and total disregard for human life, I contacted Pontiac and this device does not come as part of the package, also I was told after getting the car pushed to some place safe by local citizens that if I wait for twenty minutes it would start again , and it did this 3rd time situation caused electronic damage rendering the car dead, and my bill went from 196.60 every two weeks to the last payment due well over 400.00 which I had the car payment but logic would tell me no ride means no work and loss of last payment for a car that needs towed diagnostics, and an extra 100.00 deductible due now , loss of rent ,food and now my job I tried to get co workers to go out a their way to get me and take me but it was not free and car was taken, I mentioned you working there due to the vast interest in this and continued correspondence I'm receiving over my complaint , I didn't understand your continued as you call my misunderstood logic of this situation, I believe the car is a scam vehicle again think some other poor person hard working will end up in my situation soon enough and I hope they will contact me .But unless I get this out like others on here complaining about this company then it will continue without a fair hand on us loyal tax payers thanks for your time considering you don't work for them as you say, God Bless you .

Brent, Drive Time is a dealership for subprime borrowers

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - ()

Brent, no one with good credit goes to Drive Time to buy (or lease) a vehicle.

The whole target market of Drive Time is to people that have bad credit. Their commercials are quite obvious as to their market strategy. The reason they target bad credit buyers is because those buyers are known to be desperate enough to  pay more money for a lower value car. That's how Drive Time beef's up their profit - by charging super high interest rates and/or money factors.

No one with good credit would allow a shut off device on their vehicle. Those devices are only used by subprime lenders. By the way, if you look at your contract, I bet you gave them specific written permission to install one of those devices in the vehicle. A person with good credit wouldn't sign a contract with those terms. It is not fraud when the company follows through with the penalties written in the contract. Before you go to the expense of hiring an attorney, read your contract first. It will be enlightening.

No, I don't work for Drive Time or any other auto dealership. However, I read any contract presented to me before signing it. If I don't like the terms, I leave without signing.  The first line of defense against a bad deal is to understand the terms and conditions completely before deciding to accept or reject the deal. You can only do that if you read and understand every word of the contract.

PS For you to assume that some of these responders work for Drive Time is off base. Just because someone may point out the flaws in your logic shown by your complaint, it doesn't mean that the individual works for the company that is the subject of your complaint. That is faulty thinking on your part.

If you read the report

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

Again you sound like a representative defending this company only because if you didn't you loose your job , Again for those who can't read I Paid on time unless you can go in your reports to discredit me then you are in the wrong , the car was in use of an illegal device to shut it down which I came close the getting hit once by a semi truck and again causing me to almost hit a family in another car with children in it . and since your so interested in my case why offer me a 25.00 visa card from the main office if I was in the wrong , this site itself shows DriveTime your boss has a history of complaints for wrong doing , guess hundreds of people are wrong according to you, bet your job is to respond to theses infractions for your company ,until your fired or quit , stepping on the less fortunate can only lead to failure but everyone has an opinion ; you know the rest. My credit had nothing to do with paying close to 500.00 a month for a car that is probably being used as I type this to another victim in which so e one in your company victimized , the news and a judge remain to be seen as to who laughs or punishes , believe me statistics just on this site alone will show otherwise on DriveTimes perfect record !

If you read the report

AUTHOR: Brent - ()

A serial dead beat you called it, this is a first ever report filed serial as you call it stands a a word for most educated people as a constantly complaining person I PAID up till the day car shut down dead beats don't lease anything meaning I was working to pay on the car plus my trade in , sounds like your a fan oDriveTime .

#14 General Comment

How??

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

How in ANY stretch of the imagination do YOU think YOU can sue them for ANYTHING????? Lets JUST deal with the facts in the matter. There was a shutoff device placed in the vehicle YOU leased. Which would mean that YOU have the LESS then stellar credit needed. THEN you are late in your payments. Just because you SAY you had permission doesn't mean that you DID!!! Then they repo the vehicle for NON PAYMENT. Meaning that YOU have shown a pattern of NOT PAYING YOUR BILLS!!!! YOU go right ahead and go and cry to the news. THEY are going to laugh in your face!!! This ENTIRE issue is due SOLELY to YOUR inability to pay your bills in a timely manner. I DARE YOU to go and retain a lawyer. The dealership IS IN THE RIGHT and YOU ARE IN THE WRONG!! So go ahead and TRY and sue them because of YOUR stupidity. Im betting that all those court costs will keep YOU out of a vehicle for a long time. Oh and since YOU would be trying to frivolously sue a business over YOUR inability to pay your bills, the Judge MAY chose to punish you even more by giving the dealership a nice fat payout. Its called PUNATIVE DAMAGES!!! No ripoff here. Just the USUAL idiotic crybaby tactics used by IMMATURE children who have no REAL idea what responsibility is. Heres a thought. Go get a bike!!! Then you can peddle your way to success. And get that paper route your mom has been begging you to get........

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

" made all my payments on time"    " ,the car was shut down on me twice actually 3 times as a result of being late on a payment"   Kind of conflicting statements, don't you think?  Being late "with permission" is NOT the same as paying on time.  This kind of thinking is why you're in this situation now.

You were with this type of lender due to your demonstrated inability to manage your finances responsibly.  You said it yourself, above.

"I'm going to the news next and hopefully get a lawyer to sue them for fraud"

Let us all know how this works out for you, get that attorney and go for it...what could possibly go wrong.  Another example of your faulty thinking. You have the true deadbeat mentality of entitlement. What a loser.

They did NOT rip you off, this is ALL on YOU.

Get serious

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

You know that if you always pay your bills on time you would not be in this position.

First of all you wouldn't have had the shut down device installed at all and then they never would have had to shut it down.

It's too bad you can't or won't pay your bills, but you can't expect a merchant to subsidize you and keep letting you pay late constantly.