Complaint Review: Drivers Auto Repair

• Reported By: Crazy Charges — Humble Texas United States of America
Drivers Auto Repair
8821 N. Sam Houston Pkwy E Humble, Texas United States of America

Drivers Auto Repair over charge for a simple repair Humble, Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: You want fries with that?

I just relocated to Texas from Indiana, and the car cigarette lighter in my car had loosened up. I rely a whole lot on the cigarette light to keep my GPS and cell phone charged. It had gotten so loose that I couldn't keep either charged, so if I happened to get lost or my phone died, I would be in big trouble. Then, somehow I got a nail in my tire. So I went to Drivers auto repair and explained to the guy that I needed to have my cigarette lighter tightened and my tire plugged due to the nail. He took my keys, sent my Chevy S10 pickup to the repair man in the back. He comes back 10 minutes later and says it will cost $150.00 to repair my cigarette lighter and if I pay $150.00 to get my car cigarette lighter repaired, they will plug my tire for FREE! $150 sounded outrageous to me, so I asked him "why is it so much to tighten the cigarette lighter?" he said, "The only way we can fix the cigarette lighter is by removing your whole dash board to get inside to the wires to tighten it." I am no mechanic, but I am a female that is somewhat technical! I knew that they shouldn't have to remove my whole dashboard to fix it, so I said "O.K. I don't want to have the car lighter repaired today, but can you ask him how much just to plug my tire?" He leaves, then comes back & says. "Sorry, we wouldn't be able to plug the tire, you will need a new tire" UNBELIEVABLE!! Went from plugging the tire for free if I paid $150 to get the lighter fixed, to they can't even fix the tire!! Anyway, I got home, found a screw driver, popped open my ashtray in the car, found the wires, screwed the back of the lighter tighter into the wires, popped my ash tray back in, and sure enough, I repaired the car cigarette lighter within 20 minutes and I DID NOT have to pull out the dashboard of my car!!! Rip Off... Nope, I would not let them rip me off!!, but I feel sorry for any other female that they may try to take advantage of. I will never go there for any repair!! Find somewhere else ladies!! $150 charge to charge my phone & GPS... RIDICULOUS!! DIY. BUT DONT DO DAR!! (DRIVERS AUTO REPAIR).

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2012 05:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drivers-Auto-Repair/Humble-Texas-77396/Drivers-Auto-Repair-over-charge-for-a-simple-repair-Humble-Texas-921107. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drivers Auto Repair

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You want fries with that?

AUTHOR: Absolute_Mellow - (United States of America)

my rebuttal title has a point. But let me start out with a little information about how a shop runs.

The person you spoke with is probably a service advisor. He knows less about your vehicle than the man on the moon. That doesn't mean he isn't a professional. It means he has to pass your complaint onto the mechanic. In return, he must pass the diagnosis from the mechanic onto you. Most service advisors are very professional and do an excellent job of relaying this information.

I have been in the auto repair business since 1978. Some of that time was spent as a shop owner. From your complaint, I get the idea the mechanic hadn't looked at your car and basically "blew smoke up the service advisor's behind". The advisor probably believed the dash did indeed need to become disassembled in order to fix the lighter. Furthermore, he probably suggested if she has the dash fixed, he would fix the tire too.

This is inexcusable behavior. Since you clearly have the address of the shop, I suggest you write a letter to the shop owner explaining what happened. Try not to sound as if you feel you were ripped off. Instead, sound as if you were confused by the conflicting information. Furthermore, let them know you are uncomfortable with having anymore work done there. Also, let them know you are unlikely to referre the shop to friends.

Finally I have to ask, what brought you to that shop? An ad? Friends? Whatever it is, make it clear you will make sure and let them know what happened.

Written letters go a long way.