Complaint Review: Drivetime

• Submitted: Wed, August 08, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, August 12, 2007

• Reported By:Leander Texas
2335 S IH35 Round Rock, Texas U.S.A.

Drivetime RIPOFFS HARRASMENT and just about a legal issue here! Round Rock Texas

*Consumer Comment: remember...

*Consumer Comment: Bad Business, over and over again...

O.k, so back in June of 07' I needed a new car and unfortuniteley I did not know what I know now about Drivetime. Trust me, If I knew this I would have tried a million other places before going there!

I traded in my Ford Taurus, living in Texas we need AC and with a new baby it was a must now. So, everything is going good at first, I was approved the sales man said that I can get 12% interest so I was extremely happy. They gave me 1k for my trade in.. could of got more but whatever. My husband meets me up there, at first it was just me and my father checking the place out.. so my husband comes and we start doing the paper work, im signing my life away or so it seems.

As we are about to finish signing the paper work for a Mazda 626 which the interrior could of been MUCH better, ciggarette holes, dirty.. just not clean at all. we get down the part and my interest had jumped from 12% to the max which I beleive is 22%. I just about freaked out. Comes to find out, that yea my credit was good enough for the 12%, but they determine your APR by how much of a down payment and because i did not put 5k+ down i got stuck with the 22%.

O.k, meanwhile the day that I am buying this car it is my husbands and I 1 year wedding anniversary.. we should not have gone there at all! 6 hours later we are done.. we drive off the lot only after haggling them to fill up the gas tank, the car I traded in had a FULL tank of gas.. 50$ worth and the mazda had nothing, no gas at all.

We leave and not even 10 min later as we are on our way to a nice dinner they call, "we forgot to have you sign papers... " they were RUDE, " you must come back and signs these or the deal is no good, you have to come back RIGHT NOW!" so we go back, one signature is what they needed.

The next night im Driving and I hear a very loud humming noise coming from the drivers side front tire.. I call them they say to make an appt with them... I do that take the car up there, and when they were putting bolts back on the tire I am assuming from a new tire they did not put them on correctly and we had parts rubing against each other that was making this LOUD noise. Problem fixed...

4 weeks later I keep getting phone calls at work, I answer the phone finally and the Lady was just awfull. She was mad at me because I gave them my actually work number instead of the number to HR and they were calling to verify employement. they also called my father on his cell phone looking for me after I talked with this lady.

2 week later I still have not got my state tags in.. they promised 2 weeks at the most.. its been about 2 months now. I have called at least 5 times, I have gone in person talked with the manger at the store also.. we are looking into this problem and will call you with an updat ASAP.

2 more weeks go by.. I finally have had enough so I call and rip them a new one.. they all of a sudden FIND IT, they had got it the same day that i called and ripped them a new one.. in fact she called me back with in 10 min of me calling them. She tells me.. you have to come in today before we close and sign more paper work and then a day or two later we will have your sticker.. so I start to tell her that I have waited 2 1/2 months driving illegal and its not like i can just drop what i am doing to go over there.

More car problems .. Now, everytime I turn on my car and the AC the belt makes this awfull loud noise and I have to take it back to them, not to mention while in idle the car will start to shake and just about dies...

I would never recomend this place to ANYONE!

hate drivetime INC
Leander, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2007 12:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drivetime/Round-Rock-Texas-78664/Drivetime-RIPOFFS-HARRASMENT-and-just-about-a-legal-issue-here-Round-Rock-Texas-266118. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drivetime

AUTHOR: Justmyopinion - (U.S.A.)

two things to remember when buying any car from anyone

(1) trade in value to a dealer is ALWAYS less then private party sale value ( you can check kbb.com to find out what the trade in value of a car is and private party sale value and you can see the huge diffrence)

(2) Always always always have a mechanic look at it, if they wont let you theres a reason

good luck

Bad Business, over and over again...

AUTHOR: I Sue U 4 A Living - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately you're not the first to experience what it's like to be the typical Drivetime customer, and you certainly won't be the last. One thing I did not understand about the APR you received - why was your rate raised over 80% just because you did not have a $5,000 down?

With respect to the car having problems - depending on your states lemon laws, you may have some recourse against Drivetime - be sure and keep ALL records of repairs on your vehicle. Next time you make a purchase, especially for someone who has decent credit, go to the big-dealerships. Yes I know they will try and play with you there as well, but never to the extend that DT does. DT is KNOWN for selling problematic cars - always always always get a car that you want to purchase checked out at a local mechanic, don't take the dealers word unless they are willing to give you a bumper-to-bumper warranty, no deductible for x amount of years or x amount of miles, (and certainly not "x" as in 30 days 1,000 miles, I'm talking REAL warranty terms of years and 10's of thousands of miles).

After reading alot of complaint letters about DT's practices, I've noticed that probably half of these other folks complaining could likely of purchased a vehicle through a "regular" dealer. It's a common misconception that its harder to get financing at the regular dealers; it isn't. Even people with bad credit (scores in the 500's) can get financing, and of course it wont be 7% APR, but it will more than likely be better than 22%, and best of all, you're more than likely to get a car in better shape than one found at DT.

Anyway, good luck to you with this.