Complaint Review: Drivver's Auto

• Updated: Fri, July 26, 2013

• Reported By: Landre — Cypress Texas
Drivver's Auto
26206 Cypress, Texas USA

Driver's Auto Repair (Hempstead) Driver's Auto Repair - Ripoff - Made Me pay over $3,000 Up Front, and Didn't Repair Truck Cypress Texas

Driver's Auto @ 26206 Northwest Fwy (Fry & 290), Cypress, TX IS TERRIBLE I was certain that I would by now be less furious over my recent experience, but I'm not.  Darrell (Service Manager) at the Driver's Auto location, is in my experience is very dishonest.  Starting around October of 2012, I began looking for a service facility with the ability to work on Classic model vehicles.  I made no less than 4 different trips to the Driver's Auto, to talk specifically as to whether they had the competencies to work on my 1968 Chevy.  A beautiful classic truck with a recent history of running rough.  I had unfortunately allowed the vehicle sit up a bit too long on one instance and found myself needing to replace the fuel pump, brake booster, etc.  Following making the repairs the vehicle was running rough. After several trips to Drivers Auto/Darrel (Service manager) I was assured they had ASE Certified technicians more than capable of servicing the vehicle.  The vehicle was towed into the Driver's auto in December.  I had asked for a diagnosis on the needed engine repair AND asked for a quote on the cost of dropping in a new engine assembly (Parts and Labor), and a quote of Labor only to install a High Performance Crate Engine from another source.    AFter nearly 2 weeks, I was informed they could not diagnose the vehicle because it needed a new external fuel pump.  AFter a short back-and-forth advising I had replaced the pump within the last month or so, and knew it was working properly.  Darrell assured me it needed a new fuel pump, of which I approved the repairs.  Another 3 days past, and they had a number of other items that supposedly needed to be replace/repaired before they could diagnose the engine - of which I approved as well.   Following another 2 weeks, I finally received a call and was advised the vehicle's engine did not need to be replaced.  I was informed it had been torn down, and they were able to confirm what needed to be done by one of his "top guys".  I was quoted in excess of $3,100 for all the work that needed to be performed.  I specifically asked for assurance whether they were 100% sure that's all the work that needed to be done.  I was assured that it was.  WHAT SHOCKED ME NEXT - is that he then advised I had to pay for the needed work -- IN ADVANCE!!!  I informed him in my 14 1/2 years experience at Ford Motor Company (exclusive in Customer Service/Parts & Service Division) I found it unusual that he would require payment for the work IN ADVANCE.   He advised because of the extensiveness of the work that needed to be done, that they required for payment in advance.  In hind site, I think perhaps my race may have contributed to his need to receive PAYMENT in advance.  In any regards, I paid him over the phone for the full cost of the work that was needed.   After 3 more weeks of Waiting, I received THAT CALL!!!  Sir, we're going to need more money to do the work........  I was livid, and expressed very specifically he had assured me what was needed based on his "best guys", I had paid in advance for that work that was needed and I did not believe I was responsible for any more money.  He grudgingly acknowledged they needed to make things right.... WELL!!!! After another 6 weeks, I finally received a call at which I was informed the work was complete, but I would need a new gas tank, BECAUSE OF CONTAMINATION ... WTF...of which they were not qualified to do the work -- but I could have it towed to another place for that work.  When I went to pick up my vehicle, the fuel lines were not attached.  I had to call the police in order to pick up my vehicle, because they wanted to charge me another $400 for replacing the power steering pump.  When I mentioned I looked at the pump and it's the same one on the truck, I was informed they replaced the pump inside the housing, and not the housing.... WTF... They really thought I was an idiot.  Needless to say, when I started the vehicle it ran POORLY, It was idled very high so as not to shut off (even though it supposedly had a new carburetor).   The top speed on my way home was 35 MPH, LITERALLY.  I have video footage of the drive.  The engine tapped immediately leaving the drive way from the Service facility.  The gas "tank" was now a 2 1/2 gallon plastic container in the bed of the vehicle, Inspection sticker was still expired.  Ultimately I ended up selling the vehicle for $1,900 because my 1968 CHEVY was officially worth no more than it's body.  The gentlemen I sold the vehicle to told me, "MAN THEY RIPPED YOU OFF".   I'm still angry, and I warn anyone from taking the vehicle to Driver's Auto locate at 26206 Northwest Fwy, Cypress Texas (Near Fry and 290)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2013 09:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drivvers-Auto/Cypress-Texas-77429/Drivers-Auto-Repair-Hempstead-Drivers-Auto-Repair-Ripoff-Made-Me-pay-over-3000-1070492. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drivver's Auto