Complaint Review: Dunhams Sports

• Updated: Sun, December 20, 2009

• Reported By: Jim — Mercer Pennsylvania United States of America
Dunhams Sports
2267 East State St. Hermitage, Pennsylvania United States of America

Dunhams Sports Defective 30-06 Rifle sold and Dunhams Sports refuses to return or replace! Hermitage, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: Easy Solution

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not 100% accurate

CONSUMERS BEWARE!!!! On 12-2-09 I purchased a Remington 30-06 rifle from Dunhams Sports. The store only allows you to look at rifles without the bolt action installed and the gun with a magazine lock on it. I understand them putting safety first , but after getting home with the rifle I found that the bolt action sticks and jambs when you open it, I cleaned and lubricated it but it is obviously defective. I returned the gun to the store and was told there was nothing they could do. The clerks said  maybe if I called back in a couple of days there maybe a manger that could explain there no return policy. They refused to return it or replace it. So now I am stuck with a $380.00 rifle that I have never used and is defective. I am sure that this  violates Pennsylvania consumer laws and will be contacting the Mercer County DA office concerning Dunhams Sports.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2009 07:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dunhams-Sports/Hermitage-Pennsylvania-16148/Dunhams-Sports-Defective-30-06-Rifle-sold-and-Dunhams-Sports-refuses-to-return-or-replace-534112. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dunhams Sports

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Easy Solution

AUTHOR: Firedan - (United States of America)

I won't comment on either party to this sale, but I am very familiar with Remington, the manufacturer of the rifle.

I am sure if the consumer sends the rifle to Remington (the owners manual will have instructions on how to do that legally) they will repair or replace the product if it is defective.

I have sent several guns to various manufacturers for repairs and have had nothing but excellent service from all of them, they are not about to leave a defective product in service.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not 100% accurate

AUTHOR: sojo05 - (United States of America)

I worked for this particular store for 3 years and have a few things to add to this "report". Firstly, Dunham's practices safety measures to protect the community when it comes to the issue of firearms. All of our firearms have either cable locks or trigger locks installed on them. In some instance when trigger locks are not available, cable locks are installed through the magazine/bolt area. This is the company policey as it is a safeguard for consumers and employees. Secondly, any person is free to come in and see that we do have bolts on most of our rifles (we only take out the bolts when the trigger locks do not fit the particular firearm or we are out of trigger locks). Also I know from experience that signs are posted at the hunting desk that say "No returns on firearms or ammunition" and our receipts have this printed on them as well. Not to mention that a lot of the firearms clearly have printed on their boxes and in their manuals "Do not return this item to the store of purchase, please contact customer service for questions/repairs/replacements".