Complaint Review: Dutyfree International

• Updated: Sun, June 16, 2013

• Reported By: 6653 Santolina Court — 92130 Alabama
Dutyfree International
Puerta Vallarta, MX Airport Puerta Vallarta, Select State/Province Mexico

Dutyfree International Dutyfree Puerta Vallarta Aiport running Cuban cigar scam Puerta Vallarta Jalisco, Mexico

On June 15, 2013 I was browsing the Dutyfree shop in the Puerta Vallarta Airport.  My wife and I were being hounded by the sales people to taste Tequila, try perfumes etc.  I was asked by the uniformed sales person if I liked cigars.  After replying in the affirmative, he walked me into a beautiful glass humidor stocked floor to ceiling with Cuban cigars.  I laughed, and told the sales person I was American, not Canadian and that I could not bring Cuban cigars back home with me.

The sales person told me that the US has releaxed the ban on Cuban products.  According to him, I could take up to 25 cigars back home for personal use.  In fact, every person over the age of 18  in my group could do the same.  I was excited  and nearly bought a box for each family member to carry.  I did get somewhat suspicious, but then the salesman produced a document which read in plain English. The document claimed supported exactly what the saleman had told me.  He had "backed up" his story.

So here I am strolling through customs in San Diego 3 hours later with my $275 box of cigars.  The officer asks me what purchases I brought home.  I tell him.  Well no more cigars for me.

I expected to be ripped off on the streets of PV and by the merchants on the beaches. Small miscalcultions and unfavorable currency conversions are the norm in Mexico.  But I never expected one of the world's largest retailers to have a scam operating in a high end shop at a major international airport.

Shame on Dutyfree International.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2013 05:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dutyfree-International/Puerta-Vallarta-Select-StateProvince/Dutyfree-International-Dutyfree-Puerta-Vallarta-Aiport-running-Cuban-cigar-scam-Puerta-Va-1059511. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dutyfree International