Complaint Review: Dvdplay

• Updated: Thu, October 28, 2010

• Reported By: Liz — salem Oregon United States of America
Dvdplay
salem, Oregon United States of America

Dvdplay RedBox Redbox and dvdplay look the same and use the same format on the machines, I returned my movies to a Redbox, It said returned sucessfully, i never knew they were two different companies until my card w salem, Oregon

*Consumer Comment: That Dog Might Hunt

*Consumer Comment: DVDplay will be wiped out of the market...

*General Comment: Red Box steal for their own gain!

*General Comment: I agree with Flynn...

*Consumer Comment: And the ripoff is??

Dvdplay and Redbox, look the same and use the same format on the front screen of there machines, until now I never knew about Dvdplay, I thought it was all Redbox!  I rented a movie from Dvdplay thinking it was Redbox, I returned the movie the next day, and returned it to Redbox, When I returned the movie at Redbox the machine took the movie and it said your movie has been sucessfully returned thank you!  A month and two weeks later I check my account online and I'm negative, two charges for $25, from something called Dvdplay!  I called my bank to report charges made that I didn't make, I put a stop on my card, to find out Dvdplay is not Redbox!  I called Dvdplay to see what i can do, the lady was rude to me and said It was my fault for putting the Dvd in the wrong box and that Redbox will mostlikely ship the movie back to them. But I would still have to pay for the movie. She told me there is a total of 4 movies not returned by me.  They recieved one from Redbox, but I still have to pay for the movies!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2010 12:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dvdplay/salem-Oregon-97304/Dvdplay-RedBox-Redbox-and-dvdplay-look-the-same-and-use-the-same-format-on-the-machines-I-566539. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dvdplay

That Dog Might Hunt

AUTHOR: Orethrius - (U.S.A.)

It's not in dispute that the consumer returned the wrong DVD to the wrong rental kiosk.  The question here, I'd imagine, isn't whether someone confused Hollywood Video for Blockbuster Video; after all, those two facilities are distinctly different, Hollywood employing a purple-black-red "Hollywood" motif, and Blockbuster employing a primarily blue-and-gold color scheme.  The real question here is whether trademark dilution has taken place, and whether that act was intentionally committed to the detriment of the consumer.  As for trade dress dilution, I'm afraid the jury's still out on that one; but intentionally disparaging or berating the client is in nobody's best interest.

DVDplay will be wiped out of the market...

AUTHOR: Annie - (United States of America)

if they don't fix the problem.
I have the same issue reported here. The response I received from their customer service department is nasty. They are yelling at me on the phone.
Basically, they are aware of the pain consumer is going through, instead of fixing competition the market, they "fix" their customer on the phone, they fix customer's review online (for example, some of the responses on this website). I noticed the response some people posted here sounds exactly like their customer services reps, which could be an coincidence. But it's very odd.
I hope
1. This company gets wiped out because they are not following business rules.
2. A lawyer goes after them.
3. They will extinct soon because of the bad management within themselves.
This could be an easy fix. Post sign at your rental locations to differentiation yourself from your competitor. How easy is that? Where is your brain?
Bring it on DVDplay people. Pretend you are a consumer and post a nasty response here. haha!!!

#3 General Comment

Red Box steal for their own gain!

AUTHOR: Jenn - (United States of America)

This just happened to me... DVD Play (whom I rented from) said they have asked Red Box on may occassions (since DVD Play has been in business for 5 years longer than Red Box..) to change their kiosk color or their software to no longer except their DVD's. Red Box has done nothing. Now they are saying the may not find my movies. I rented these movies well over a month ago and my card was charged last week. I am now out 58.38. They say its my fault and they cant do anything about it. If they know this happens all the time and they have choosen to do nothing about it, then it is their fault for choosing the same look, format and software! Their software should reject the movie, but they choose to not change it...which proves to me they want to steal DVD Plays movies for their own use! I LOVE NETFLIX! Its cheaper in the long run!

#4 General Comment

I agree with Flynn...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

I don't think that it is DVDPLAY's fault that you put their movies into a RedBox kiosk.

And the ripoff is??

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"I rented a movie from Dvdplay thinking it was Redbox, I returned the movie the next day, and returned it to Redbox"

If you're complaining that you ripped yourself off, OK.  Otherwise, I can't see a reason for DVDPlay not to charge you for movies that you didn't return to them.