Complaint Review: Dwolla

• Submitted: Sun, April 15, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, April 16, 2012

• Reported By: Mark — Muskego Wisconsin Virgin Islands (US)
Dwolla

Dwolla Careful of $3 monthly fee- "instant" service deceptively activated, no verification, cant cancel. Internet

*Author of original report: Update

I was paid from a co-worker using Dwolla.  He paid the fees to sign up.

To get my money, I had to verify my bank account, which I did.  In the process of verifying the bank account, Dwolla has a very deceptive checkbox which is placed - and worded - in such a way to make it look like you need to check it to verify your bank account.

instead, you are signed up for the "Dwolla instant" service and are immediately charged your first $3 monthly service charge.   There is no verification, explanation, or anything, and you cannot back out unless you pay the $3.

I have requested that Dwolla back this out, and I will update this post if/when that happens.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2012 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dwolla/internet/Dwolla-Careful-of-3-monthly-fee-instant-service-deceptively-activated-no-verificatio-868898. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dwolla

Update

AUTHOR: Mark - (Virgin Islands (US))

Dwolla was very responsive with their customer service, and they credited me $3 to pay the month's fee for the service I did not know I was signing up for.  They did not tell me however how to cancel that service, nor was that easy to find.  I did find it finally, and they did reply again telling me - you go into "funding sources" and deactivate the instant service.

I have a real problem with recurring services that sting you like this - they make it seem like it's part of another thing you're trying to do, no secondary validation (which really needs to be there to constitute a legal e-signature), and next to impossible to cancel without paying a fee. My frustration with that was mitigated by their responsive and helpful customer service.