sake

• Updated: Wed, August 15, 2012

• Reported By: C — Grinnell Kansas USA
E-470 Public Hiway Authority
Box 5470 Denver, Colorado United States of America

E-470 Public Hiway Authority Express Toll Express Toll Rip Off! They don't send a bill, just turn you over to collections! Denver, Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Same thing in my case

*UPDATE Employee: Grinnell Kansas License Plate Toll Statement Follow Up

My family and I traveled to the Denver Airport back in January of 2012.  We might have traveled 10 miles total on the toll road and only because we are from out of state and didn't know any other way to get to the cargo drop off area.

There was of course no way to pay the toll when we went through the booth and we thought we would receive a bill.  We never did receive a bill and I actually forgot about it.  FIVE months later I receive a notice from a fancy law firm telling me they were putting me in collections and I owed $26.30 for an unpaid toll in Colorado.

I initially thought it was a mistake because I knew we had not been in Colorado in many months.  I requested a copy of verification that it was my vehicle and verification in the form of a certified mail receipt that they had sent the invoices.  I did receive the picture of my vehicle, from our January trip, and a copy of two invoices from February and March that were supposedly sent to me.  I did not receive either of the invoices and they could not provide me with a certified mail receipt of course because I'm quite sure they never even mailed the invoices!

I explained to the law firm that I had not received the invoices and I was willing to pay the toll, but I was not willing to pay their fees because of their clients failure to verify that the invoices had been received.  I sent them a check for the toll charges.  They returned the check un-cashed and informed me that they could not accept the check because it was not for the amount owed.

After reading several complaints on line it is pretty obvious that this is a huge scam by this company and I have no intention of just giving in and paying the fee.  It is considerably less than many of the others that have been scammed but it is the principle of it!  I am going to contact the Colorado Attorney General on Monday morning and file a complaint.

This is ridiculous and this company needs to be held accountable!  I hope everyone that has been taken by this company will come forward and file a complaint, both here and with the Attorney General's office!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2012 11:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/E-470-Public-Hiway-Authority/Denver-Colorado-80217/E-470-Public-Hiway-Authority-Express-Toll-Express-Toll-Rip-Off-They-dont-send-a-bill-ju-892119. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on E-470 Public Hiway Authority

Same thing in my case

AUTHOR: dz - (United States of America)

Yes - the US mail must be failing a lot lately.  Same thing happened to me.   We inadvertantly used the road, had no idea, and the first notice we received was also from the collection agency.   And got the same canned responses that you did.  (check the Postal Service..lol).  Funny how so many people that E470 says they're mailing things to have faulty postal delivery.  This organization has a long history of this kind of pitiful service.  This is not the first time - and likely won't be the last time - that they prey upon folks like you and I.

Grinnell Kansas License Plate Toll Statement Follow Up

AUTHOR: E470 - (United States of America)

Dear customer - We read your concerns about your recent License Plate Toll statement.  Our records do indicate the statements mailed in February and March were sent to the same address as the collection letter you successfully received in the mail.  You might consider checking with your local post office to determine why you did not receive the statements in February and March.  Please contact Jake in our EXpressToll Service Center at 303-537-3470 x4072 if you would like to bring your account to good standing.  Thank you. Heidi - E-470 Public Highway Authority